my first overclock how did i do

brandonb21

yeah il replace the thermal pase or i might replace to the cooler all togother with an h105 in the coming months  i'm 100% sure its the thermal paste the pump is mounted on their very good i even did the washer trick 

Its likely the thermal paste then.  Buy some new TIM before investing in a new AIO.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Its likely the thermal paste then.  Buy some new TIM before investing in a new AIO.

after hours of struggling i got adaptive mode works, it ramps up to 1.301 then drops to  0.720

after hours of struggling i got adaptive mode works, it ramps up to 1.301 then drops to  0.720

That is how adaptive mode works.. it is like smart voltage.  It fluctuates as the load on the processor increases and decreases.  When you are at an idle or low-usage state, the voltage and Mhz are low.  As the load on the processor ramps up, Mhz and voltage increases to account for this increase.  That is perfectly normal.  Now try running games and your regular daily use programs with adaptive mode.  Manual mode should only be used when stress testing.  Everything else, use adaptive.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

That is how adaptive mode works.. it is like smart voltage.  It fluctuates as the load on the processor increases and decreases.  When you are at an idle or low-usage state, the voltage and Mhz are low.  As the load on the processor ramps up, Mhz and voltage increases to account for this increase.  That is perfectly normal.  Now try running games and your regular daily use programs with adaptive mode.  Manual mode should only be used when stress testing.  Everything else, use adaptive.

i noticed when playing crysis it didnt hit the 4.7 it will go to 3.3 to 2.2 to 1.8 and kept going so i just switch my power savings plain to performance to then back to balanced when im not gaming

i noticed when playing crysis it didnt hit the 4.7 it will go to 3.3 to 2.2 to 1.8 and kept going so i just switch my power savings plain to performance to then back to balanced when im not gaming

Oh, you want to disable power saving mode.  I forget the exact name of it, I can go into my BIOS and check if you'd like.

@brandonb21 you also need to change one of the settings to Extreme, its on the same page in the BIOS as Load-Line Calibration, which should be at a 4 out of 8 if your BIOS is anything like mine(Z87-A).

@brandonb21 you also need to change one of the settings to Extreme, its on the same page in the BIOS as Load-Line Calibration, which should be at a 4 out of 8 if your BIOS is anything like mine(Z87-A).

Untitled.png

i tryed what u said didnt work, only way i can get it to work to enable performance mode in control panel 

i tryed what u said didnt work, only way i can get it to work to enable performance mode in control panel

Ok hold on, ill go into BIOS and find the exact setting for you.

@brandonb21

BIOS > Advanced Mode > AI Tweaker > EPU Power Saving Mode = Disabled > DIGI + VRM > CPU Load Line Calibration = Level 4. CPU Power Phase Control = Extreme

That should hopefully do it

@brandonb21

BIOS > Advanced Mode > AI Tweaker > EPU Power Saving Mode = Disabled > DIGI + VRM > CPU Load Line Calibration = Level 4. CPU Power Phase Control = Extreme

That should hopefully do it

ok brb

ok brb

You can turn off performance mode in control panel now after making those changes.

You can turn off performance mode in control panel now after making those changes.

its still doing i enabled/disabled all the settings you told me to, and balanced mode is enabled

its still doing i enabled/disabled all the settings you told me to, and balanced mode is enabled

Its still doing what?

Its still doing what?

jumping cpu frequencys in game from 1.8 to 2.2 to 2.4 ect. not staying at a stable 4.7

jumping cpu frequencys in game from 1.8 to 2.2 to 2.4 ect. not staying at a stable 4.7

What game is it doing this in?  If it is a non-CPU intensive game, then it likely doesn't need the full 4.7Ghz.

What game is it doing this in?  If it is a non-CPU intensive game, then it likely doesn't need the full 4.7Ghz.

world of warcraft and haven benchmmark

world of warcraft and haven benchmmark

What is your performance like? 

Heaven Benchmark I know doesn't utilize the full 4.7Ghz because it is GPU bound, not CPU bound.  So it is working as it should for that.

How is World of Warcraft?  Is your performance bad?  WoW is an MMO, and it is CPU dependent, although it can only utilize 2 cores it should be at the maximum Mhz I would think.  I haven't ever played WoW, but when I played ESO and ArcheAge, my CPU was at its highest Mhz.

not really. its stuttering but may be my video card 

not really. its stuttering but may be my video card 

Stuttering is not good.. is this just in WoW?  You said it goes away when you switch to performance mode while in Windows?

Stuttering is not good.. is this just in WoW?  You said it goes away when you switch to performance mode while in Windows?

its happpening in ever game. enabling performance mode to see

its happpening in ever game. enabling performance mode to see

performance mode enabled= no stuttering 

performance mode enabled= no stuttering 

Hm.. I guess run in performance mode...

This is not as desirable an option because your processor will now be at a higher voltage and core speed at all times.  But if it fixes the problems, then might as well keep it on performance mode.  Performance mode is essentially manual voltage, which is not good.  I'm kind of stumped as what to try next, I've never encountered this problem. 

Maybe create a new thread in the Troubleshooting section of the forum and describe the problem.

Make sure you provide a full component list, including overclocks

Link this thread so people trying to help can view all of the pertinent information

List all of your overclock and BIOS settings

Hm.. I guess run in performance mode...

This is not as desirable an option because your processor will now be at a higher voltage and core speed at all times.  But if it fixes the problems, then might as well keep it on performance mode.  Performance mode is essentially manual voltage, which is not good.  I'm kind of stumped as what to try next, I've never encountered this problem. 

Maybe create a new thread in the Troubleshooting section of the forum and describe the problem.

Make sure you provide a full component list, including overclocks

Link this thread so people trying to help can view all of the pertinent information

List all of your overclock and BIOS settings

im using on board video (intel HD 4600) i sold my video card as the 980 by nivida is going to be out next month for some reason it favors high clock speeds 

im using on board video (intel HD 4600) i sold my video card as the 980 by nivida is going to be out next month for some reason it favors high clock speeds 

Ohh dude.. why didn't you say so, or maybe I missed it.  That is likely a source of the problem.  That iGPU is good for what it is, but it is not really capable of driving games and benchmarks at consistent fps at anything higher than 720p.

Ohh dude.. why didn't you say so, or maybe I missed it.  That is likely a source of the problem.  That iGPU is good for what it is, but it is not really capable of driving games and benchmarks at consistent fps at anything higher than 720p.

woops LOL