Dual 200mm Case Fan Not Making A Difference?

PlayModeOn
Go to solution Solved by austin541,

Just leave it alone those temps are more than reasonable and 3-5 degrees would be within margin of error for a case swap. 

Hello,

I just bought the Cooler Master HAF 922 XM Case today. I am quite pleased with the aesthetic and space it provide. But its cooling is quite terrible.

My previous case which is the Thermaltake MS-III, it is a $50 budget case and it is quite bare-bones. But when I put in 5 Jetflo 120mm case fans the motherboard temperature is only hitting 21 degrees Celsius, everyday I always check the temperature it is always hitting 20-22 degrees Celsius.

So I got the HAF XM and move all the 5 Jetflo 120mm from my MS-III into the HAF XM. When I check the temperature it is always 25-26 degrees Celsius.

I think it is because I installed 2 intake Jetflos in the front, another 2 intake in the HDD cage and only 1 Jetflo (and generic 200mm fans) as exhaust at the rear/top of the case so that there are more air coming in than out.

Also there are 2 x 200mm exhaust fans on the top. But they are so weak that a single jetflo delivers more air than two 200mm generic fans that come with the case!

Is this the reason why the temps are too high than my old budget case? The 200mm fans are too weak to expel air?

Seriously the Jetflo is like a helicopter rotor and it almost chopped my finger off once but with the cheap 200mm fans that Cooler Master gave us I can put my finger in blades while spinning and it wouldn't hurt me.

All fans are at 100% RPM.

See attached image for more info.

post-108821-0-99335700-1409398218.png

Thanks!

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

Also my old case (MS-III) has 2 x 120mm Jetflos on TOP + 1 x 120mm generic fan on REAR as exhausts. And 3 intake jetflos from the SIDE, FRONT and BOTTOM.

I think that's why my old case work so well?

So its pretty much 3 decent exhaust fans vs 3 decent intake fans that made my old case better than my HAF XM.

Unless I swap out the 200mm? Would that make a difference?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

its because you have negative presuure, you want more air going in then going out (turn the 200mm nearist the front into an intake and remove the other one)

btw the 2 fans in the middle dont really add a whole lot they are more of a gimmick than being actually useful. one thing to check is make sure the two centre fans are pointed the right way lol i once installed a centre fan in an antec 1200 it but it was moving air the wrong way effectively destroying my air flow

its because you have negative presuure, you want more air going in then going out (turn the 200mm nearist the front into an intake and remove the other one)

I thought negative pressure was good?

btw the 2 fans in the middle dont really add a whole lot they are more of a gimmick than being actually useful. one thing to check is make sure the two centre fans are pointed the right way lol i once installed a centre fan in it but it was moving air the wrong way effectively destroying my air flow

All fans are at 100% RPM speed.

Also the two fans at the middle actually multiply the air coming in. Because when I place my hands inside the case and testing with and without the middle fans I find the middle fans adds more "turbine" effect, its like being a tunnel.

I thought negative pressure was good?

it depends but in most cases you want positive pressure removing a 200mm should help also dont forget to count your psu as an exhaust if its mounted fan up

Just to let everybody know the reason why I put 2 x 120mm fans in the middle/HDD cage is because there is no where else to put it. I do not want to waste expensive fans.

I did what you suggest of turning the 200mm fans into intakes but still 25 degrees. I think it has to do with the low CFM and quality of the 200mm fans.

I did what you suggest of turning the 200mm fans into intakes but still 25 degrees. I think it has to do with the low CFM and quality of the 200mm fans.

I'll tell you what to do.

The same set up you have in the front. Remove the front most 200mm fan, put it on the side as intake. Ending else the same

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I'd say don't worry about it. It probably just means the airflow isn't focused on where the temperature probe was as much as it was in the old case. That said, better ventilation is possible if you flip the rear fan to be an intake, and the PSU should have the fan pointing up to take heat away from your GPU(s) (don't worry about the PSU taking in hot air; if it's of reasonable quality it was designed to be able to do that.)

Rear fan as intake could pose problems though if you're air cooling your cpu. If you can get a tower-style heatsink-fan to blow up instead of to the rear that'd work great though.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I'll tell you what to do.

The same set up you have in the front. Remove the front most 200mm fan, put it on the side as intake. Ending else the same

Mine has a windowed panel, no fan side panels slots.

EDIT: Unless I can drill holes in. Would that work without cracking the plastic glass?

I'd say don't worry about it. It probably just means the airflow isn't focused on where the temperature probe was as much as it was in the old case. That said, better ventilation is possible if you flip the rear fan to be an intake, and the PSU should have the fan pointing up to take heat away from your GPU(s) (don't worry about the PSU taking in hot air; if it's of reasonable quality it was designed to be able to do that.)

Rear fan as intake could pose problems though if you're air cooling your cpu. If you can get a tower-style heatsink-fan to blow up instead of to the rear that'd work great though.

It would be a waste not to use the fan filters on the bottom though.

If I'm understanding your post correctly the only issue I see is that you're unaware that you can't cool your PC to a temperature lower than your ambient.

As for exhausting the air, while it won't be in a hurry, the air will get out as long as your pushing more in. Just because of the pressure.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

If I'm understanding your post correctly the only issue I see is that you're unaware that you can't cool your PC to a temperature lower than your ambient.

As for exhausting the air, while it won't be in a hurry, the air will get out as long as your pushing more in. Just because of the pressure.

Yes, my older case is able to cool the motherboard at ambient or below (it is winter here in Australia).

There is a 3-4 degrees difference between the two cases, it cannot be an accident.

So when I paid $130 for this new case I expected a slight or no improvement but it went worse.

I really think it is just the 200mm fans or the lack of side panel fans.

But oh well. Atleast I can watercool which my old case cannot fit a radiator.

All fans are at 100% RPM speed.

Also the two fans at the middle actually multiply the air coming in. Because when I place my hands inside the case and testing with and without the middle fans I find the middle fans adds more "turbine" effect, its like being a tunnel.

Can't be true. Two fans in HDD cage are using same intake air that two front ones are bringing in. If you put hand right next to them, ofc you feel more air. Your hand is right next to fans! Those fans are meant to aid in HDD cooling if you have whole cage packed and move air away from them and targeted to GPU.

Yes, my older case is able to cool the motherboard at ambient or below (it is winter here in Australia).

There is a 3-4 degrees difference between the two cases, it cannot be an accident.

So when I paid $130 for this new case I expected a slight or no improvement but it went worse.

I really think it is just the 200mm fans or the lack of side panel fans.

No way old case has ever been even close to ambient. I bet your sensors or measuring of temps is in fault here. Which temp we are even talking about? Thermal probe or mobo sensor?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Can't be true. Two fans in HDD cage are using same intake air that two front ones are bringing in. If you put hand right next to them, ofc you feel more air. Your hand is right next to fans! Those fans are meant to aid in HDD cooling if you have whole cage packed and move air away from them and targeted to GPU.

No way old case has ever been even close to ambient. I bet your sensors or measuring of temps is in fault here. Which temp we are even talking about? Thermal probe or mobo sensor?

Mobo sensor. My old case has a side panel and bottom intake fan which blows cool air into the GPU and Motherboard. The HAF XM windowed-version does not have both of these.

The HAF XM also has a HDD hotswap in the front, thats where I place my HDDs instead, there is nothing in the HDD cage. 

Maybe this is just a misunderstanding that I am worrying more about the motherboard temperature over CPU and GPU temperature. I would still prefer having a cool motherboard though.

I am going to try to remove the 2 HDD fans and replace the top 200mm fans. I'll report my findings.

It can't be at fault when it can tell the difference between a side panel fan (lower temps) and without side panels (higher temps).

Temps still 25 degrees. However I found this suggestion at tomshardware.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1632500/haf-window-type-airflow-suggestions.html

I'll test this now.

Nope, I did a dozen variations and all it ends up with increasing the temps to 27 degrees. I went back to the original layout and temps is back at 25 degrees again.

I'll just drill, trade or buy another side panel for this case to cool GPU and motherboard.

Mobos heating parts can take up to 100C. Under stress they are usually at 60C. So worrying over few degrees idle isn't worth it. My experience proves that sidepanel fans don't have that much effect either if your GPU is set to restricted (max fan speed) mode. They may improve temps by that 5C that seems to worry you but I doubt you still will see that on mobo components.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Nope, I did a dozen variations and all it ends up with increasing the temps to 27 degrees. I went back to the original layout and temps is back at 25 degrees again.

I'll just drill, trade or buy another side panel for this case to cool GPU and motherboard.

an extra couple degrees seems almost in the margin of error, are you sure it wasn't just colder in the room when you tested the old case? Anyway it probably doesn't make much difference, iv'e seen my motherboard temps go from 20 to 60C just at idle and the motherboard works fine.

an extra couple degrees seems almost in the margin of error, are you sure it wasn't just colder in the room when you tested the old case? Anyway it probably doesn't make much difference, iv'e seen my motherboard temps go from 20 to 60C just at idle and the motherboard works fine.

For the last 2 weeks I have been checking the temps of my old case. It is consistently 21 Degrees Celcius. It has been 3 days I have this HAF XM and it is 25-27 all the time.

But yes you guys are right I shouldn't be obsessed with 1-2 degrees.

I will still try to get this Side Panel from Cooler Master.

http://www.cmstore.eu/cases/haf/haf-xm/haf-xm-sidepanels/

I prefer looking stealthy than a clear window.

But the problem is the side panel cost 15 Euro which is fine but shipping cost 80 Euros!

When converted that is ~$125!

More detail here.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2282701/buy-cooler-master-haf-left-side-windowed-panel.html

I am also the same person in that thread.

Unfortunately Cooler Master replied and they can only ship using UPS which is the reason for the 80 Euros. Is there any alternatives to this? 

Just leave it alone those temps are more than reasonable and 3-5 degrees would be within margin of error for a case swap. 

Specs: Cpu: i7-4790k@4.5ghz 1.19v Cooler: H100i Motherboard: Msi z97 g55 SLI  Ram: Kingston HyperX Black 16gb 1600mhz GPU: XFX R9 290X Core Edition PSU: Corsair HX850  Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Storage: Force series 3 120gb ssd, sandisk ultra 256gb ssd, 1tb blue drive  Keyboard: Rosewill RK9100x Mouse: DeathAdder  Monitors: 3 22 inch on a triple monitor mount