PC won't turn on

Edzel Yago

CPU: Intel Core i7 3960x

Mobo:MSI x79a GD65 8d

RAM: 32gb Kingston something

PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w

Coolers Nepton 280

Problem: Won't turn on. Pressing the power button (on the motherboard or front panel) results in fans spinning up and then powering off instantly. System had gotten into Windows just fine until I shut down to move fans around.

Tried: Another (400w) PSU, trying PSU on another system (worked), swapping/moving RAM, reseating CPU, and clearing CMOS. System is currently out of the case, on a motherboard box with only ram, cpu, power, and cooler plugged in.

Follow me on Twitter at: @edzelyago

These is something that is loose.A cable or a wire,something doesn't make connection.Take out all the cables but them back together and leave out everything that is not needed (dvd,fans...etc)

ps:motherboard cables.

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

All I have installed are: ram, cpu, cooler.

Power is connected (24-pin and 8 pin).

The CPU and ram are the ones from my old workstation. Motherboard was picked out from storage. Did boot to windows once.

I had this problem once, turned out unplugging all USB devices and powering on worked. Good luck.

-ces160

Sounds like something is shorting the system. I've had a computer that had a busted usb-port that was shorting the mobo and it had the same effect.

Sounds like something is shorting the system. I've had a computer that had a busted usb-port that was shorting the mobo and it had the same effect.

We're you able to fix it?

checked the capacitors on the motherboard?

Nothing seems to bulging or blown. Anything other signs?

That exact same thing happened to me, I just unplugged and stopped using the front USB ports.

I literally have nothing plugged in besides the power, heatsink and the fans on the radiator

i remember helping someone here a while ago with a similar problem. the solution was to unplug everything including the keyboard and mouse, but from what i'm seeing here you've already done that

Sounds to me like a motherboard issue at this moment.

start using known good components (New psu, New cpu if you have another lga2011 chip somewhere, a different stick of ram known to be good)

Also, take a good look at the CPU pins.......all 2011 of them :P

If it continues, sounds like a motherboard issue. And since its shutting itself off, most likely short protection.

try hooking everything to another board just for kicks even. that should narrow things down as well

It would seem that you have already tried all the thing that I would have suggested at first.

The only thing that comes to mind is to try different RAM, one stick at the time. (might be a little redundant as you usually get beep code for this)

Otherwise try the above.

Spoiler

Case Bitfenix Ghost, Mobo Asus Maximus VIII Ranger, CPU i7 6700K @4.2 Ghz cooled by Arctic cooling Freezer i30, (barely). GPU Nvidia GTX 970 Gigabyte G1 @1519Mhz core, RAM 16Gb Crucial Ballistix CL16 @2400Mhz. SSD 128GB Sandisk Ultra Plus as my OS drive. HDD's  1TB  Seagate ST31000524AS its OEM, 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x 500GB WDC Blue (RAID 0)

If it isn't working absolutely perfectly, according to all your assumptions, it is broken.

Plugout the Powecable. Take out the CMOS Battery for 1min. Then put in the cmos bat in again and connect power. try again. 

Take a look at the back of the board, maybe it got unsoldered somewhere. Or perhaps the pins on the socket got a little bent.

Coolers Nepton 280

Problem: Won't turn on. Pressing the power button (on the motherboard or front panel) results in fans spinning up and then powering off instantly. System had gotten into Windows just fine until I shut down to move fans around.

Tried: Another (400w) PSU, trying PSU on another system (worked), swapping/moving RAM, reseating CPU, and clearing CMOS. System is currently out of the case, on a motherboard box with only ram, cpu, power, and cooler plugged in.

this happens to me, when i press the power the light comes on but the system does not power on the fans spin then power down again, press the power, then turn off the psu from the button wait 3 sec the quickly turn the psu on again the jump in power should help it to turn on :)  

Coolers Nepton 280

try it with just 1 stick of ram and no pci cards. 

if that does not work try a different singe ram stick.  but sounding like the motherboard or the cpu.

try swapping out the whole set of RAM. if all things fail, it is likely that you have a dead mobo

Are you currently trying with the stock cooler? Or, also, it looks alot like a motherboard with an incompatible Bios and CPU combination. Have you flashed the bios before shutting it down?

There isn't a single computer problem that cannot be solved by a good voodoo ceremony and an intense staring contest with the motherboard.

Case: Corsair 750D | CPU: Intel i7 4770k | Video Card: Gigabyte WF3 780 Ti 3GB | RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 | Hard Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / 1TB WD Black / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / 2x2TB WD Green | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Corsair h100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 x2 | DAC: O2 Amp/Dac Combo w/ RCA from Mayflower Electronics | Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400 | Microphone/Input: AudioTechnica AT2035 w/ Scarlet 2i2 Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 w/ Custom Keycaps | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Monitor: QNiX QX2710LED 1440p PLS & WASABI-MANGO QH275 27" 1440p S-IPS

Did you try resetting the CMOS without the CPU installed? And make sure your power supply is set the the correct voltage your power company supplies at. My city is 110-220 volts.