4 year old xeon x5670 vs amd 9590 at turbo 5ghz

At what? Gaming probably the AMD, video rendering/creation probably the xeon

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Who do you think wins ?

Depends what you're doing?

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

Depends what you're doing?

Day 2 day use including gaming and some video editing.

Day 2 day use including gaming and some video editing.

I really think the Xeon would be better overall, Linus did a video comparing a I7 against a Xeon and they almost had the same performance. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I really think the Xeon would be better overall, Linus did a video comparing a I7 against a Xeon and they almost had the same performance.

Im still shocked that a 4 year old cpu is at his core clock of 2.66 ghz is able to keep up with a 5ghz 8 core, AMD should go with stronger cores then more. :)

Why the hell are you running an X-series Xeon by itself? Got it for cheap or something?

Anyways, depends entirely on the workload.

Why the hell are you running an X-series Xeon by itself? Got it for cheap or something?

Anyways, depends entirely on the workload.

Yeah got it of ebay for 50 pounds thinking of getting an evga sr-2 mobo and another x5670

Yeah got it of ebay for 50 pounds thinking of getting an evga sr-2 mobo and another x5670

>EVGA SR-2

Jesus the way they've split the PCI-E lanes just makes me want to vomit.

These particular Xeons won't be the worst for gaming but you may get bottlenecked by them in some games.

Also, running two of these will not improve your gaming performance at all for the most part. Very few games take advantage of more than just a couple cores.

>EVGA SR-2

Jesus the way they've split the PCI-E lanes just makes me want to vomit.

These particular Xeons won't be the worst for gaming but you may get bottlenecked by them in some games.

Also, running two of these will not improve your gaming performance at all for the most part. Very few games take advantage of more than just a couple cores.

Well for the money I think they are woth it, the sr2 is still expensive tho,but it can still do 3 way gtx 770 :)

depends what you're doing I guess

the cpus aren't really comparable.

3 way sli isn't a good idea, these cores are still slow westmere @ 2.6ghz so has less than half the per core perf of a well clocked haswell

For the price every day use. The xeon is the same price as the new g3258 and thats a duel core lol

3 way sli isn't a good idea, these cores are still slow westmere @ 2.6ghz so has less than half the per core perf of a well clocked haswell

Well the good thing is the x series over clock very well

9590 but not by  a huge margin tbh

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

9590 but not by a huge margin tbh

But you can turn down the price tho plus you will get more put of the xeon when overclocked. The xeon is .5% slower then the 8350 and the stock speeds

But again your not gonna use all 8 cores on the fx cpu anay way so why not go for something cheaper:)

9590 but not by  a huge margin tbh

thb the clock speed on the 9590 is good but if you overclock the xeon go dam its good

• 5 months later...

I have the x5670 and it still is plenty power for gaming and workstation level work and i got it cheaper than the 9590 :)

x5670 all day.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

clock for clock the 5670 is gonna smoke the 9590

its also gonna consume more power doing so.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Because that was a specific intel CPU. What he was showing was the Xeon that is actually a i7.

Most Xeons are completely different from the Core series. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

thb the clock speed on the 9590 is good but if you overclock the xeon go dam its good

Can't overclock the Xeon. The multiplier is locked.

Only base. 

9590 for gaming.

But I would just use the Xeon because the 9590 needs an expensive Motheboard and uses way to much power. 

post-4039-0-07314100-1423878361_thumb.jp

your basically limited to what a motherboard can effectively push its max base clock to

heres my x5650 with a 2ghz+ overclock. at 4.6 it smokes at 5ghz 9590

x5670 is a better overclocker because it has higher multiplier

biggest difference of xeon vs core series is xeon has different imc

post-4039-0-07314100-1423878361_thumb.jp

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

attachicon.gif1081.jpg

your basically limited to what a motherboard can effectively push its max base clock to

heres my x5650 with a 2ghz+ overclock. at 4.6 it smokes at 5ghz 9590

x5670 is a better overclocker because it has higher multiplier

Well, to be fair, most things smoke the 9590. Including actual smoke.