Firefox or Chrome?

grimmjow660

I just use Chrome because I got used to it...

Unfortunately, it uses lots of memory and recently it started crashing at least 2 times/day.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

haven't used firefox that much, I like the chrome interface and the add ons, but i like to use chrome for windows 7 and IE for windows 8. I don't really care about the memory because when i have a lot of tabs opened up and other programs as well, i only use around 4 gb of ram. 

Chrome is more responsive and generally faster.Unfortunately chrome also has problems, at least for me, where it uses unreasonable amounts of ram.

Firefox is considerably slower and less responsive, however it seems to be more stable and has no problems, or much fewer problems, with resource management.

This is just based on my own experiences with both browsers.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Chrome

I like signing in and having everything just the way I like. I also recently discovered the multi-user mode and it's very nice as well.

I also enjoy being able to pull up a website on my from, to my computer, and vice versa

All these nice features...why use Firefox?

I've ended up using both. Flash works terribly on Firefox, no fault of Firefox though.

Work on Firefox

Play on Chrome

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

Using Firefox atm because Chrome started not playing videos well (is that fixed?)

I hate it. It's an unresponsive piece of crap for me, the themes are too busy, and I dislike the interface (that's me tho)

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

Chrome because I love how it feels. I use waterfox for schoolwork because it isn't a RAM hog. I need the RAM hogging for play. 

I need just straight up browsing for school.

Eric S. Raymond used an E6600 from 2005 until 12/30/14 or open source software creation. Raw data computations in excess of 18GB each. Core 2 Duos still have tons of life left, my friend.

Unfortunately, it uses lots of memory and recently it started crashing at least 2 times/day.

Sounds like something has gone bad with your program. I suggest you do a reinstall and see if that fixes the crashing.

Chrome is more responsive and generally faster.Unfortunately chrome also has problems, at least for me, where it uses unreasonable amounts of ram.

Firefox is considerably slower and less responsive, however it seems to be more stable and has no problems, or much fewer problems, with resource management.

This is just based on my own experiences with both browsers.

It's considered slow but that's mostly because of all the marketing Google did ~6 years ago. If you check out benchmarks you will quickly realize that all modern browsers are more or less the same speed wise. Chrome wins some, Firefox wins some, IE wins some.

Chrome

I like signing in and having everything just the way I like. I also recently discovered the multi-user mode and it's very nice as well.

I also enjoy being able to pull up a website on my from, to my computer, and vice versa

All these nice features...why use Firefox?

Firefox actually has all of those features as well.

Using Firefox atm because Chrome started not playing videos well (is that fixed?)

I hate it. It's an unresponsive piece of crap for me, the themes are too busy, and I dislike the interface (that's me tho)

The fix for Chrome not playing videos could be a reinstall. Either that or try updating flash if that's what causing the issues.

Not sure what you mean by "the themes are too busy". You can change theme if you want. Hell you can basically change the entire GUI.

Chrome because I love how it feels. I use waterfox for schoolwork because it isn't a RAM hog. I need the RAM hogging for play. 

I need just straight up browsing for school.

Pretty sure Waterfox will use more RAM than Firefox, since it's basically Firefox but 64bit (and 64bit programs are bigger).

Not sure what you mean by "the themes are too busy". You can change theme if you want. Hell you can basically change the entire GUI.

The fix for Chrome not playing videos could be a reinstall. Either that or try updating flash if that's what causing the issues.

By busy, i mean there's just a bit too much going on in the top bar for certain themes, and it kind of masks the icons (dependent on theme, of course).

I like Chrome's solid color approach to themes, but I had to revert to default because videos/general browsing was very choppy for some reason, I might try a reinstall soon

How to Post Topics, the Right Way / The Ultimate Build Parts List

"4 words. DON'T BE A DUMBASS" ~@Swndlr

I use both but my personal preference would be Firefox mostly because it doesn't eat so much RAM.

I haven't used Firefox for quite a long time. Chrome (the 64-bit one, which I installed about 2 days ago) works excellent! I like a much more streamlined and simple user interface which is why I prefer Chrome most of the time. I have yet to find issues with Chrome that could sell me out to Firefox.

TrinityFX

CPU: i5-4440 @ 3.1Ghz RAM: Crucial 1 x 4GB @ 1.6Ghz  MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate GPU: PCS+ HD 7870 Ghz Edition | CASE: NZXT Source 210 Window | HDD #1: Toshiba 3.5" 500GB HDD #2: Toshiba 2.5" 500GB PSU: Cougar SL500 OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/2wccCJ |

Chrome, unfortunately. I only use it because it syncs with all my devices. Once you go to Google, you can't leave.

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

Chrome, unfortunately. I only use it because it syncs with all my devices. Once you go to Google, you can't leave.

Firefox sync was introduced long ago now, does the same as logging in to Google on Chrome, afaik.

I haven't used Firefox for quite a long time. Chrome (the 64-bit one, which I installed about 2 days ago) works excellent! I like a much more streamlined and simple user interface which is why I prefer Chrome most of the time. I have yet to find issues with Chrome that could sell me out to Firefox.

Firefox 29 switched to a more Chrome-like UI.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

But I already have all my data on Chrome plus as an Android user I find chrome to be the best browser for me.

Computer Science student proficient in OSX, Linux and Windows

(Dell Inspiron 7570): i5-8550u | Geforce 940MX | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | 15.6" 1920x1080 ScreenWindows 10 |

It's considered slow but that's mostly because of all the marketing Google did ~6 years ago. If you check out benchmarks you will quickly realize that all modern browsers are more or less the same speed wise. Chrome wins some, Firefox wins some, IE wins some.

I'm not saying I've heard it's this way, I'm saying that I tried to switch to firefox/waterfox, last week and it/they felt considerably slower and less responsive than chrome.

I don't care if one wins some benchmarks and the other wins just as many different ones or one wins more than the other; in practice I find that chrome is significantly faster. 

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Chrome :/ because it is the only browser that I can have 40 tabs open without lagging the hell out of it.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

I used to use Chrome as my main browser for years. It's just become such a memory hog. It crashed WAY too much for it to be usable from day to day use. I now use Firefox exclusively on all my devices. It syncs nicely and it doesn't crash on my phone of my computer.

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

I just ran Peacekeeper on Firefox, Safari, and Chrome. Results are in the Mozilla data leak thread.

Safari and Firefox are close enough as to be within margin of error, I haven't finished the calculations but the difference does not appear to be statistically significant.

Chrome is lagging strangely behind, for reasons I can't comprehend. No programs were running besides the browser being tested and the ones displayed in my menu bar.

Link: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/208095-oops-mozilla-left-thousands-of-email-addresses-and-passwords-lying-around-again/page-2#entry2823985

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

What do you guys think is better and why?

Apples or oranges?

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I use Firefox because it works much better for my Surface Pro: it scales well with the high DPI screen and it doesn't use as much of my 4gb ram.

as for the UI, extensions, and sync feature i think chrome and firefox are now pretty comparable and it doesn't take long for me to get used to either of them

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)