What is BIOS?

There is an Asus BIOS download at several motherboard. I wonder what is that

what?

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

Fundamental parameters of your PC.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

There is an Asus BIOS download at several motherboard. I wonder what is that

Can... can you rephrase that in a coherent manner?

"Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity"

- George Carlin (1937-2008)

Well the BIOS stands for Basic Input/Output System, it just checks over the hardware quickly to make sure the computer is functional before the OS loads, this is called POST (Power on self test).

P1090394.JPG

Within the BIOS you get "basic" (as the name suggests) controls such as boot order, drive mode (ahci, raid, ide), and the time. You can also have more advanced features such as CPU core control for overclocking. The BIOS is stored on ROM (Read Only Memory) and can be found on the motherboard as a small chip.

bio94--article_image.jpg

On modern motherboards we use what is called UEFI, which is Unified Extensible Firmware Interface. It takes a lot of the 'features' of a BIOS but when hardware data is collected on POST it passes it to the (UEFI based) OS. Just better boot times and stuff. UEFIs generally also feature a graphical interface with mouse pointer control.

16543d1360707770-uefi-firmware-settings-

Hope that helps.

If you are asking what BIOS updates are for.... When manufacturers release new mobos on new chipsets BIOS is buggy like any other software. Updates fix bugs, add comp ability and even features.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv