Worth Upgrading to Core i7 5960x

With the new support of DDR4 and generally more feature, is it worth to upgrade to the Intel Core i7 5960x? Will the new 8 core have a huge boost in productivity like CAD, 3d modeling, and 4k rendering? Also, I heard you could get a massive overclock fromThis chips with 4.4 GHz being a modest overclock which means this gen of core i7 extreme will be truly enthusiasts friendly. Any suggestions will be helpful.

It will never be "worth it" because of the price, unless you're looking for a large E-peen.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

It will never be "worth it" because of the price, unless you're looking for a large E-peen.

E-peen?

the cheapest one might be worth it when prices come down a bit

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

i think we are all waiting on the benches for this platform but if intel continues its trend as of late we should see some modest improvements but nothing ground breaking

E-peen?

E-penis.

@Askew, show him an example, gif/meme lord.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

tl;dr: "Can you tell me if the chip that isn't released yet is good for overclocking."

tl;dr answer: No, we can't.

i think we are all waiting on the benches for this platform but if intel continues its trend as of late we should see some modest improvements but nothing ground breaking

Here and here are some benches.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

also it's worth it if your livlihood is your computer because it is comparable to $2k xeons

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

With the new support of DDR4 and generally more feature, is it worth to upgrade to the Intel Core i7 5960x? Will the new 8 core have a huge boost in productivity like CAD, 3d modeling, and 4k rendering? Also, I heard you could get a massive overclock fromThis chips with 4.4 GHz being a modest overclock which means this gen of core i7 extreme will be truly enthusiasts friendly. Any suggestions will be helpful.

'Worth it" is always a not so great term. It can be worth it to many people, but to some it's not. If you have the cash to easily buy these then sure... it's 'worth it' As for upgrading from previous hardware probably not. Unless you're using it in such a way that you will benefit from the core technology. With 3D work, CAD drawings and 4k rendering, the performance increase may be worth it if you make money from it. As a hobbie probably not.

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

You mention CAD, 3D modelling and 4K.

post-54950-0-49060000-1409364995.jpg

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

E-peen?

E-penis.

@Askew, show him an example, gif/meme lord.

f40cfa4b17e08771708ae53999e3c275.png

First off, I am aware 'remember' is misspelled.

Now, e-peen basically means electronic penis, it compares nerdy 'prowess' such as having over powered computers and bragging about gaming skill to a penis measuring contest in real life.

you can compare it to 'bragging rights'

From what you said an upgrade would benefit you in the long run if you have the spare cash. ;)

f40cfa4b17e08771708ae53999e3c275.png

First off, I am aware 'remember' is misspelled.

Now, e-peen basically means electronic penis, it compares nerdy 'prowess' such as having over powered computers and bragging about gaming skill to a penis measuring contest in real life.

you can compare it to 'bragging rights'

243809.jpg

@DerpyDerp123

if you are a professional content creator, need massive amounts of hardware to run

multi-way GPU/RAID cards/ThunderBolt/Capture cards then this is the platform for

you. if you are looking for the best gaming experience, this can be that, but there

is going to be a price point that will usually scare most off with the purchase of new

marketed RAM (DDR4) with still relatively high recovery costs on the first couple of

years. new motherboard, new CPU and new RAM to web browse single GPU game

and lightly threaded application just won't feel like the price was worth the go.

this is where you have to question your needs, connectivity and budget on whether

the X99 platform is your option. a year from now, the pricing will prolly be similar

as these types of "enthusiasts" platforms cater to 5-8% market share, so they

already have a built in cost factor that usually won't budge, unless a holiday sale

or special promotion.

For gaming I wouldnt buy one of these chips at the price they are selling. Lower clock and meh single core performance. From the reviews I have read so far people are not that impressed.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Ive youre that serious about your work sure, ive youre even more hardcore then get a 12 core, or dual 12 core.

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

For gaming I wouldnt buy one of these chips at the price they are selling. Lower clock and meh single core performance. From the reviews I have read so far people are not that impressed.

Dude, it's all about the cores for gaming. Really.

Anyways there's just one thing thats quite interesting about HW-e, you can test each core individually out how well they clock. On a 3930K orsomething if you disable 5 cores, it's always #core0 but with HW-e you can boot with #core7 or #core2 or #core5 and so on. I'm planning to use the best 4 binned ones and use that for gaming

Dude, it's all about the cores for gaming. Really.

Anyways there's just one thing thats quite interesting about HW-e, you can test each core individually out how well they clock. On a 3930K orsomething if you disable 5 cores, it's always #core0 but with HW-e you can boot with #core7 or #core2 or #core5 and so on. I'm planning to use the best 4 binned ones and use that for gaming

That actually is interesting. Im interested in the results.

I dont understand why people think a lower clocked 6 core will perform better when only a couple cores are being used in most games?

Edit: I probably wasn't very clear but i wasnt saying single core performance isnt important I was saying h-e single core isnt that great.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

You want a useful processor, get a 5930k.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I dont understand why people think a lower clocked 6 core will perform better when only a couple cores are being used in most games?

Because of general misinformation? Every game thats coming out tomorrow is going to be multithreaded and 8 core yolo optimized. One guy spreads it, other one spreads it everywhere, someone decides to make a youtube video etc.. They never listen when you prove them. You probably remember me claiming that battlefield 4 doesnt take advantage of more than 6 threads/cores, well here's the proof with the GPU cap removed that a 5960x doesnt do anything. Theoretically a 5820k should be without HT 50% faster than the 4690k and everyone thinks its going to scale like that in games, BF4 does saturate 6 cores/threads but you're only getting a silly 20-25% gain.

Btw HWe is faster clock for clock mainly because of the extra cache. The 2600K had a 300-400MHz higher clock than the 3930K but the 3930K was a lil bit faster singlethreaded wise. If DDR4 gets as cheap as DDR3 and we see cheaper X99 boards, damn you'd see lots of "5820K vs 4790k threads" who knows just a 50-70$ price difference.

Edit: I probably wasn't very clear but i wasnt saying single core performance isnt important I was saying h-e single core isnt that great.

I already got that :P