Which Thin/Powerful Laptop

DeathTrigger

Hello guys and gals,

I know there have been many threads about this topic, but I am looking into something more specific. 

I'm looking for a thin powerful gaming laptop such as MSI GS60, Lenovo Y50 etc.

I'm not sure which one is the best or if you have any other propositions.

It won't be always for gaming, well mostly for programming etc. But when I want to play out a Game I want it to work out good and obviously not overheat like my current HP - DV6...

I'm looking for something into 15.6" and Lightweight and thin!!! I'll be carrying it everyday...

My current laptop is around 6 pounds and that's too much to bear with all the books I have to carry lol...

Thanks I'd love to know your opinions!

Is a gaming desktop and cheap portable laptop an option? (as that would be the better alternative)

if not, y50

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Razer Blade is quite good, although VERY expensive. The Lenovo Y50 is pretty much the best all around in general. I think MSI or Gigabyte have one called "Aurous" or something along those lines, don't know which company though. The Lenovo Y50 would be a good choice though.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

Is a gaming desktop and cheap portable laptop an option? (as that would be the better alternative)

if not, y50

Well I mean, I have a powerful desktop. It's more a laptop that I can carry around And play some Lan gaming. 

Y50 is pretty much the 15" laptop to get right now

I heard that the Y50 has problems with 1080p Games Scalling. I mean you get a Black box around.

And Hows the ventilation compared to the msi gs60?

Lenovo y50.

Well I mean, I have a powerful desktop. It's more a laptop that I can carry around And play some Lan gaming. 

I heard that the Y50 has problems with 1080p Games Scalling. I mean you get a Black box around.

I'm pretty sure the black box is only on the 4K version of it, there should be no black box on the 1080p model.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I think you're looking at the 4K version of the Y50. The 1080P version has no problems.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I think you're looking at the 4K version of the Y50. The 1080P version has no problems.

Yeah I was looking at the 4k version. I mean the 4k Version comes with the SSD : http://www.ncix.com/detail/lenovo-y50-4k-notebook-i7-ec-101034.htm

And 

that 8gb ssd is just silly

http://www.ncix.com/detail/lenovo-y50-notebook-i7-4710hq-8g-5c-99783.htm

Yeah I was looking at the 4k version. I mean the 4k Version comes with the SSD : http://www.ncix.com/detail/lenovo-y50-4k-notebook-i7-ec-101034.htm

And 

that 8gb ssd is just silly

Well it's just meant for caching. You could at some point upgrade it's harddrive to an SSD later on though.

Well it's just meant for caching. You could at some point upgrade it's harddrive to an SSD later on though.

Yeah I know it's for caching! I guess it's still cheaper that and upgrade to ssd myself.

Last question how many hdd\ssd slots are in the y50 and gs60 1 or 2??

Yeah I know it's for caching! I guess it's still cheaper that and upgrade to ssd myself.

Yeah but still definitely get the Y50 non-UHD. Amazing laptop for the price. My aunt has the GS60 and its... eeh

The one advantage that the GS60 has though is that it has an mSATA slot along with one 2.5" bay while Y50 only has just the 2.5" bay

"Rawr XD"

I have the GS60 Ghost Pro with 1080p screen and 870m. It's amazingly think and light, I'd take it over the Y50 any day if your budget permits, it games like a beast and has very well designed thermal management. The GS60 comes with a 2.5" drive bay and 2 additional M.2 ssd slots, the next gen ssd form factor after msata. It's also a full pound lighter than the y50 to boot.

Yeah but still definitely get the Y50 non-UHD. Amazing laptop for the price. My aunt has the GS60 and its... eeh

The one advantage that the GS60 has though is that it has an mSATA slot along with one 2.5" bay while Y50 only has just the 2.5" bay

I have the GS60 Ghost Pro with 1080p screen and 870m. It's amazingly think and light, I'd take it over the Y50 any day if your budget permits, it games like a beast and has very well designed thermal management. The GS60 comes with a 2.5" drive bay and 2 additional M.2 ssd slots, the next gen ssd form factor after msata. It's also a full pound lighter than the y50 to boot.

Yeah! that what I was thinking beside that the GS60 runs on Kepler GPU and Y50 Maxwell.

I'm between this one http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gs60-2pc-012us-ghost-i7-92-95890-1011.htm

and

Beside that I don't know anything about Y50 Thermal design.. I'll have to checking it out

But all your points makes me go towards the MSI GS60

Pretty much the maximum of my budget lol

I would also recommend the Lenovo Y50. I have the 1080p version, not the 4k, and I love it. The only real complaints are the screen, but personally I think people are just hyped up over one fault, because there really isn't anything else that's wrong with it. It's my first ever laptop that feels like an actual, portable laptop. I only ever purchase gaming laptops, and they usually come big and bulky. I feel like I'm carrying around my wife's Mac Book Pro, but this one is a beast with components. I can't believe the kind of power that this thing puts out on battery. I can play any game on at least medium settings ON BATTERY. 

Other features that I like are the touch screen with Windows 8.1, sound quality of the JBL speakers/sub, and the color scheme is right on the money. Matches well with my red PS3 controller and headphones.

If you have any other questions about the Y50 you can PM me, I bought the Best Buy edition. 

Black/Red Beast: CPU: i7 4790k Cooling: Hyper 212 Evo MB: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 GPU: MSI GTX 980 RAM: 16GB 1866 HyperFury X SSD: 256GB Samsung Evo 840

I would also recommend the Lenovo Y50. I have the 1080p version, not the 4k, and I love it. The only real complaints are the screen, but personally I think people are just hyped up over one fault, because there really isn't anything else that's wrong with it. It's my first ever laptop that feels like an actual, portable laptop. I only ever purchase gaming laptops, and they usually come big and bulky. I feel like I'm carrying around my wife's Mac Book Pro, but this one is a beast with components. I can't believe the kind of power that this thing puts out on battery. I can play any game on at least medium settings ON BATTERY. 

Other features that I like are the touch screen with Windows 8.1, sound quality of the JBL speakers/sub, and the color scheme is right on the money. Matches well with my red PS3 controller and headphones.

If you have any other questions about the Y50 you can PM me, I bought the Best Buy edition. 

Oh nice! hum yeah my only concern with the device is the thermal performance. I know the GS60 uses dual exhaust design with 2 fans idk about the Y50. 

Y50 is pretty much the 15" laptop to get right now

no it isn't there are a lot of other options aside from that laptop.

take a look at the asus n550 or if you want a more game oriented one  try out the g550

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Yeah! that what I was thinking beside that the GS60 runs on Kepler GPU and Y50 Maxwell.

I'm between this one http://www.ncix.com/detail/msi-gs60-2pc-012us-ghost-i7-92-95890-1011.htm

and

Beside that I don't know anything about Y50 Thermal design.. I'll have to checking it out

But all your points makes me go towards the MSI GS60

Pretty much the maximum of my budget lol

If you're concerned about power consumption when gaming on battery I don't think it won't really matter anyway, the extra time you get gaming in practice isn't much. But the Maxwell does seem to get a slight performance boost in some games

If you're concerned about power consumption when gaming on battery I don't think it won't really matter anyway, the extra time you get gaming in practice isn't much. But the Maxwell does seem to get a slight performance boost in some games

Yeah, No I have no Concern about battery life... Who actually games on battery ?!

So I've check out all the models and I've sorted out the 3 models that I'm standing by.

MSI GS60, Gigabyte p34g v2 and Lenovo Y50

Time to choose!

Auros X3/X7 depending on your pricerange

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it