network switches

Nerykrugeer

Hi guys, I have a question, and it may be very dumb(IMO) but its better ask than waste money. I'm thinking on getting a simple switch to connect TV, PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and apple TV to the network and they are all connect over the wifi, but it sucks sometimes, more on the streaming situation(netflix). So i start to think that a switch may solve the problem, so I can have all hardwired to the internet. Would I get much more speed on them if I did that?

thank you for the help.

Everyday Rig: CPU: Intel i7 3930k (stock), Graphics Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080 Advance Edition, Ram: 32Gb 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance, Storage: 128Gb Samsung 830, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX Noctua F12 iPPC 2000RPM and Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM, Windows 10 Pro, Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 80Gold, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Keyboard: Corsair K65 Cherry Red,  Mouse: Razer Mamba TE

Hardwire will basically always be faster than WiFi, which is why i currently am hooked up to a Gigabit 5 port switch. Use Cat6,6e,5a cable for optimal performance.

A switch is a great idea!

I would get a 8-10 port gigabit switch.

You know how they work right?

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

Don't make the same mistake I did. Make sure that the switch is Giagbit. It should say that on the box. Don't buy Fast Ethernet, because that's 100 megabit.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Hardwire will basically always be faster than WiFi, which is why i currently am hooked up to a Gigabit 5 port switch. Use Cat6,6e,5a cable for optimal performance.

A switch is a great idea!

I would get a 8-10 port gigabit switch.

You know how they work right?

yeah I know how they work, just making sure if it will be way more optimal than wifi. thank for the help.

I was looking at a netgear GS308 just simple and is a gigabit switch.

Everyday Rig: CPU: Intel i7 3930k (stock), Graphics Card: Asus Strix GTX 1080 Advance Edition, Ram: 32Gb 1600MHz Corsair Vengeance, Storage: 128Gb Samsung 830, 2Tb Seagate Barracuda, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX Noctua F12 iPPC 2000RPM and Gentle Typhoon 1850RPM, Windows 10 Pro, Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 80Gold, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Keyboard: Corsair K65 Cherry Red,  Mouse: Razer Mamba TE

yeah I know how they work, just making sure if it will be way more optimal than wifi. thank for the help.

I was looking at a netgear GS308 just simple and is a gigabit switch.

Looks good man! Good luck!

I Love Playing CS:GO!

Current 

AMD Athlon X4 760K | MSI A78M-E45 | Sapphire R7 265 | Cougar Solution | Cooler Master Hyper T4 | ADATA XPg V1.0 1600Mhz 8GB | Fractal Design 650W

This HP ps1810-8G little guy is a dam good switch for reference. 10 Port switch would be best, you need one port just for Interwebs.

Get a managed switch, therefor you can learn the included protocols switches come with.

I'm thinking on getting a simple switch to connect TV, PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, and apple TV to the network and they are all connect over the wifi, but it sucks sometimes, more on the streaming situation(netflix).

Yeah, an 8-port Gigabit switch should do the job. You should be able get away with 100Mbps but a fair chunk of those devices do have Gigabit and there are a fair number of them. So why not? It'll give you a bit of headroom. And no need to get a managed switch or anything, you'd be wasting your money. Only get a managed switch if you *really* need LAG which you don't because none of those devices support it ;) 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing