Build-Off 53: Upgrade Path Part 2

Go to solution Solved by MEC-777,

Alright, upgrade time! 

I stuck to basic gaming necessities; more RAM (need at least 8GB total), more storage (download all the games!), better cooling, and most importantly; serious graphics horsepower.

CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS9900ALED Ball Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $499.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 23:04 EDT-0400

Added a second 4GB stick to make 8GB total in dual channel - self explanatory. This R9-290 looks really bad-ass and is the black edition which should be good for overclocking and pushing those few extra frames. The Zalman cooler looks unique, performs well and comes with a blue LED fan to complement the colour accents on the MSI motherboard. 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD for storing all your games etc. The 500w PSU in the original build is a pretty good quality unit and should be more than enough for the above list, thus I held on to that in order to squeeze the R9-290 within the budget. If more fans and storage etc. were to be added after the fact, that is the point at which I would upgrade the PSU.

The Final Build:

Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($89.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1025.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 23:09 EDT-0400

Cheers. :)

Welcome to the 53rd LTT Build-Off! The rules and previous contests can be found here.
Thank you to @MEC-777 and @f22luke for suggesting the challenge.

Budget: $500 for upgrades
Speakers/Headphones: No
Mouse: No
Keyboard: No
Monitor: No
Submissions: August 29th through September 4th
Voting: September 5th through 11th

This is Part 2 of "Upgrade Path," and you will therefore need to upgrade the winning entry from the last contest, which was made by @TopplesS:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($224.67 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($39.99 @ Micro Center) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($29.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $496.62
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-17 22:28 EDT-0400

Essentially, this means that you have $500 and need to use this PC as a base. Transform it into a killer gaming rig (but do you have enough watts in the PSU? Or do you need larger storage for more games? Upgrade at your discretion). Anything not upgraded with that $500 should come directly from this previous part list.

Please tell us why you picked certain upgrades in your post. Thanks and good luck!

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I focused on silence while also adding a big gaming punch.

This will allow you to overclock the CPU, as well as make the system much quieter. The stock fans are good, and you can replace them with Noctuas if you want.

8GB RAM is not enough. I added an identical 4GB kit to the already existing one, to make a total of 8GB. I sometimes use 4GB just with all my chrome tabs! this is a necessary upgrade.

This is an upgrade very dear to my heart. I have the exact same SSD as in the first build, and man, I regret not getting a hard drive. I can't even store 15 games on it, with drivers, windows, and small files. You will need this if you have even a meager game library.

Video Card: HIS Radeon R9 280X 3GB IceQ X² Video Card  ($264.99 @ Newegg) 

HIS makes excellent video cards that run very cool and quiet, at very high clocks. This will keep the build overall more silent.

Although 500W is enough, the fan on the PSU will be running full blast all of the time. I upgraded the PSU to ensure a quieter computer, and even some room to upgrade even farther.

Here, the focus of this build. This gives you a lot of flexibility between performance and quietness. You can add a noctua to the stock fan no the 212 Plus, or replace it completely with a noctua, or even two.

You can add Noctuas to the case with the stock fans, or you can replace the stock fans completely, and anywhere in between. And best of all, you can switch easily at any time.

Total: $497.91

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-30 08:28 EDT-0400

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Dual-X Video Card  ($263.98 @ Newegg) 

Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 

Total: $483.93

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 21:08 EDT-0400

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

so i wanted to add a pile more performance while focusing on quiet while not forgetting the blue/black theme. for quiet i replaced stock cooler with a highly rated logisys cooler with a blue fan and variable speeds for quiet operation durring light loads and picked a PSU with a bit more head room so it wouldn't need to run at max load plus it has blue to match. for performance a r9-280x mostly black with a blue pcb. and doubled up on the ram with nice electric blue heat spreaders. also had to drop the red fan for a blue one to match everything

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: Logisys MC4004IEXT 39.6 CFM CPU Cooler  ($29.99 @ Mwave)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.80 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($269.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Rosewill 750W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($2.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $493.75
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 23:28 EDT-0400

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

so i wanted to add a pile more performance while focusing on quiet while not forgetting the blue/black theme(even though noctua brown on the air cooler detracts). for quiet i replaced stock cooler with a lowpro noctua cpu cooler and picked a PSU with a bit more head room so it wouldn't need to run at max load. for performance a r9-280x mostly black with a blue pcb. and doubled up on the ram with nice electric blue heat spreaders

[PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b8BXVn) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b8BXVn/by_merchant/)

Type|Item|Price

:----|:----|:----

**CPU** | [intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/intel-cpu-bx80646i54690k) | $239.99 @ Newegg

**CPU Cooler** | [Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhl9i) | $46.99 @ Mwave

**Motherboard** | [MSI Z97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-z97pcmate) | $89.99 @ Newegg

**Memory** | [G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gskill-memory-f31600c9d8gab) | $79.99 @ Newegg

**Storage** | [A-Data Premier Pro SP600 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/a-data-internal-hard-drive-asp600s3256gmc) | $99.99 @ Newegg

**Storage** | [seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seagate-internal-hard-drive-st1000dm003) | $53.98 @ OutletPC

**Video Card** | [Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/gigabyte-video-card-gvr928xoc3gdrev2) | $269.99 @ NCIX US

**Case** | [Corsair SPEC-02 ATX Mid Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011051ww) | $39.99 @ Micro Center

**Power Supply** | [Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cs750m) | $79.00 @ Newegg

| | **Total**

| Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $979.91

| Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 21:11 EDT-0400 |

parts i upgraded were

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i 57.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.99 @ Mwave)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($53.98 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($269.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Corsair CSM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.00 @ Newegg)

Total: $529.95

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 21:12 EDT-0400

Bro, it must be under 500. Not even a cent over.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Bro, it must be under 500. Not even a cent over.

yeah i just noticed the price difference is only 486 but the parts cost 530(it must have como discouted one of the parts or somthing... am fixing it now will update my post

corsair 600t, msi z87-g45, intel 4770k, 16g patriot viper low-pro ram, asus direct cu2 780, crucial 256gig ssd, seagate baracuda 1tb,

yeah i just noticed the price difference is only 486 but the parts cost 530(it must have como discouted one of the parts or somthing... am fixing it now will update my post

Why would you use a Logisys ANYTHING? 

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

why not? it matches the build, will do fine to keep the build cool enough, and is in budget. not every damn computer needs a 212 evo lol. was trying to go with something that not every other poster is going to pick.

the question you should be asking yourself is whether you really think that 500w PSU in the original build is going to be enough? while you may be able to sneak in just below that number the fan on that thing is gona be spinning full speed almost the whole time which isnt going to be all that quiet. the parts you picked alone account for some 300watts according to pcpartpicker

I added quite some performance while also focusing a lot on silence.

This is to make the rig much more silent. As you may know, the Intel stock cooler is very loud, and can be annoying while gaming as well as restrictive to overclocking. This gives you the ability to overclock, while making the rig much quieter, and giving you a chance to add new fans on (which we do).
Let's face it, 4GB is not enough. You will run into bottlenecks while gaming, and if you're a tab hog like me you'll take 4GB just web browsing. This eliminates possible bottlenecks that you may run into otherwise.
Storage: Hitachi  1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($50.49 @ Amazon) 
I personally have the exact same SSD as the first base build, and it is NOT enough storage for even a tiny game library. I don't even have a scroll wheel for my steam library yet! Having a hard drive will give you MUCH more freedom as to which games you download, whether you need to delete your photos when you think you're done with them, among other things. I know this by experience, you WILL need this storage.
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280X 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  ($298.98 @ OutletPC) 
the R9 280X is a great match for an i5. It gives great game performance at a reasonable price. PowerColor is a great brand that you can trust and it will run very quiet, which is a focus for this build.
As I said before, this build is focused a LOT on silence. It doesn't get more silent than some Noctua fans. Not only are these silent, you have freedom as to where you put these fans. You can replace the fan on the 212 Plus, or add one and use both fans. You can replace the case fans, or add these fans with the stock case fans for extra airflow. These give you a lot of choice as to whether you want to pursue performance or silence, and an easy way to switch between the two.
Total: $495.40
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 20:53 EDT-0400

Just pointing this out but you only put 4 gb of ram in the upgrade...

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

Why would you use a Logisys ANYTHING? 

No negativity here or it will be reported...it is a contest stay professional and focused people.

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

the question you should be asking yourself is whether you really think that 500w PSU in the original build is going to be enough? while you may be able to sneak in just below that number the fan on that thing is gona be spinning full speed almost the whole time which isnt going to be all that quiet. the parts you picked alone account for some 300watts according to pcpartpicker

Please stop arguing or your builds will be DQ.

Just pointing this out but you only put 4 gb of ram in the upgrade...

think he was going for the add 4 to make it 8gigs instead of replacing the whole lot... pretty good idea actually kinda wish i had done it in mine but i didn't wanna just follow the leaders you know. unfortunatly i matched everything to the blue board without realising its a red and black case oopsies lol

think he was going for the add 4 to make it 8gigs instead of replacing the whole lot... pretty good idea actually kinda wish i had done it in mine but i didn't wanna just follow the leaders you know. unfortunatly i matched everything to the blue board without realising its a red and black case oopsies lol

Ah I see now...alright well there is always time to edit :) you have a little while before they get posted.

Alright, upgrade time! 

I stuck to basic gaming necessities; more RAM (need at least 8GB total), more storage (download all the games!), better cooling, and most importantly; serious graphics horsepower.

Added a second 4GB stick to make 8GB total in dual channel - self explanatory. This R9-290 looks really bad-ass and is the black edition which should be good for overclocking and pushing those few extra frames. The Zalman cooler looks unique, performs well and comes with a blue LED fan to complement the colour accents on the MSI motherboard. 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm HDD for storing all your games etc. The 500w PSU in the original build is a pretty good quality unit and should be more than enough for the above list, thus I held on to that in order to squeeze the R9-290 within the budget. If more fans and storage etc. were to be added after the fact, that is the point at which I would upgrade the PSU.

The Final Build:

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg) 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Alrighty, upgrade time! 

The Final Build:

This R9-290 looks really bad-ass and is the black edition which should be good for overclocking and pushing those few extra frames. The Zalman cooler looks unique, performs well and comes with a blue LED fan to complement the colour accents on the MSI motherboard.  

Wow, you barely passed by 4 cents. O_O

there we go lol had to change psu to come up with the extra cash

Wow, you barely passed by 4 cents. O_O

Yeah, just slipped in under the radar. lol....  :ph34r:

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

All right. Let me take a crack at this :)

(This CPU cooler should allow the 4690k to easily be overclocked to a nice 4.2ghz-4.4ghz while also being nice and quiet)
(4GB of ram isn't really enough these days with many more games taking advantage of 8GB of ram
(Seagate drives have always been known to  be pretty reliable and this one isn't an acceptation. 1TB should be enough to store a ton of games and or media)
The R9 280x is a very solid performing card for the price and can easily play most games maxed out at 1080p. The cooler on this card is very well designed and should keep temps low)
(For the price, this case is very good with sound foam on the inside of it and lots of space for cable management)
(600w might seem overkill but do keep in mind the EVGA 500b only comes with 1 PCIE power connector and using adapters isn't the best solution)
Total: $490.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-30 00:52 EDT-0400

Here it is all together

Total: $941.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-30 01:04 EDT-0400

Life.exe is missing

Yeah, just slipped in under the radar. lol....  :ph34r:

That should be your motto...you cut it close on the last contest as well :P

This is going to be an invalid post but I want to post something funny....

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($439.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $439.99

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-30 00:57 EDT-0400

There you go a little humor I want this voided and not in the contest but I thought it would be funny.

That should be your motto...you cut it close on the last contest as well :P

This is going to be an invalid post but I want to post something funny....

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($439.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $439.99

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-30 00:57 EDT-0400

There you go a little humor I want this voided and not in the contest but I thought it would be funny.

LOL, nice upgrade! :P

Well, I figure if you have a certain amount of money to spend on a build, might as well use every last penny if possible. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

HTPC:

Spoiler

Laptops:

Spoiler

NAS:

Spoiler

LOL, nice upgrade! :P

Well, I figure if you have a certain amount of money to spend on a build, might as well use every last penny if possible. ;)

Right all the graphics cards in the world can't touch that speed...hahaha.

here is my upgrades

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($40.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($57.23 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB Tri-X Video Card  ($285.91 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($24.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $499.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-31 03:26 EDT-0400

with a beefy 650 watt Gold Certified PSU

you can OC the Sapphire 280X Tri-X to higher clocks while not having to worry about lack of power

2 extra fans help the case to draw more air into the case and for exhaust

now with the CM 212 Plus cooler

the CPU can be safely OC to decent speed

4GB of the same RAM as the previous 4GB make the system with a total of 8GB RAM

1TB WD Blue drive for extra storage

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 290 4GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($364.99 @ Newegg) 
Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm  Fan  ($7.98 @ OutletPC) 
Other: 1 meter white LED NZXT dimmable @ frozencpu ($11.99)
Total: $499.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-31 07:38 EDT-0400
First i wanted  blue build, but then i saw red fan so i wouldnt throw it away i put one more red led fan. 
Light up inside with led strip. XfX logo glows white.

Since PSU is still default one, gpu should be on stock voltage. Bring cpu to 4.1 Ghz so the cpu cooler is quiet and voltage low.

Upgrade parts:

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($364.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $497.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-31 20:13 EDT-0400

Rationale:
- The CM Hyper 212+ has great value cooling, allowing the 4690K to be overclocked a good deal higher than stock while maintaining decent temps (unfortunately the better-looking EVO couldn't fit in the budget constraints)
- Adding another 4GB module to go with the original 4GB (same stick for suitability purposes) to bring the total to 8GB
- A 2TB HDD for miscellaneous storage and games libraries complements the original boot SSD
- And again - the almighty R9 290 takes its place. Incredible value and performance from this GPU will allow gamers to run even 4K resolutions relatively smoothly, and the WindForce cooler does well to dissipate heat. Going with a single high-end GPU means upgrading again in the future is easier and cheaper in CF.

I chose not to upgrade the PSU due to it being sufficient enough for the setup, and I didn't deem a larger power supply more important than a more powerful GPU for games.

MAXIMUS VII HERO | i7 4770K w/ H100i | 2x8GB 1600MHz | GALAX GTX 970 x2
250GB SSD boot | 250GB x2, 1TB SSD storage | Corsair 400C | Corsair RM550