AMD Discusses Next Gen FX CPUs, 20nm GPUs, 5-Way CrossfireX, FreeSync & DDR4

AMD's working on next generation FX CPUs which they haven't disclosed yet according to Roy Taylor AMD's VP of global channel sales.
They're also building 20nm GPUs as we speak, they discussed the possibility of 5-way xfire as well as freesync & availability of DDR4.

No let’s get into the really exciting stuff. Roy Taylor has emphatically stated that the FX line of AMD CPUs has been very successful & tremendously popular & that AMD will continue to be dedicated to the high-end CPU market & not just APUs, saying

“We understand that we have a very strong fan base (referring to FX). When I tweeted that something new was coming regarding the water cooled [FX 9590] retail box I was astonished at the reaction of everybody wanting a new FX processor. All I want to say to everybody that tweeted & E-Mailed me directly; your voices are very heard and we’re paying close attention but we can’t comment right now on stuff which is unannounced

5-way CrossFireX?!?!

Seeing how little performance is gained from adding a 4th card, a 5th card would be a complete waste of money.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Seeing how little performance is gained from adding a 4th card, a 5th card would be a complete waste of money.

Yes I know, it's ridiculous. 3-way max

AMD's not trying to proactively support 5-way CrossfireX due to the well established issues that we all know.

It was a fan question during the podcast but AMD & Origin PC both showed great enthusiasm in supporting any feature as long as the fans really wanted it.

You can find all the details here. They also discussed properly high end FX CPUs coming in the future and 20nm GPUs coming in the near term as well which got me really excited.

True, a regular gamer would see no benefit, but that doesn't mean it isn't awesome that they are pushing the technology forward. If 5-way becomes a reality, maybe it will help them make 2-way, 3-way, and 4-way more efficient and have a smoother performance curve, rather than the current plateau at 3-way.

Yes I know, it's ridiculous. 3-way max

Well certainly it's not a good price to performance value (of course we have no idea how 5-way will run - we can guess, but it's just guessing), but this is not for regular gamers. 5-way would be for balls to the wall uber builds.

Why the heck would it be 5 way....

Do 6 way so you can have 3 r9 295x2s

Why would you want 3 295x2's? I suppose they would consume less power than six R9 290/290x's, but six (or even five) single cards would be cheaper by a fair margin, easily allowing you to get the necessary size of PSU with the remainder.

Plus, perhaps it is a technical limitation? They have figured out 5-way, and maybe they couldn't do 6-way until 5-way was proven?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

am i the only person who doesnt really consider the fx cpus to be high end any more??

The need for a high end CPUs have diminished until recently, the 9 series can compete within reason and as for gaming the 8 series are good enough.

AMDs FX are high end just like my 750m is a Titan killer. 

There is truth in that.

But of course we all know what AMD means. FX is their "high end" desktop line of processors - at one point they were quite competitive - The good news is that if they have unannounced FX processors coming down the line, we might actually see some new architecture with improved IPC that can really start to push and challenge Intel. At the high end, Intel reigns king still and has been more or less unchallenged since Sandybridge.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Oh AMD....

Intel is spending billions in research and flexing their science muscle..you guys are shoving a square peg in a round hole like Jeremy Clarkson screaming "MORE POWER!!!!".. 5 way crossfire, pffffftahaha. There is a bit of charm in AMD's lunacy, I'll give them that.

Logan of teksyndicate says, in this week the tek, that AMD have some interessing news coming soon, so its AMD and we never know, one thing thats almost certain is that will be AM3+ and will compete with the  LGA 1150 cpus, notting in LGA 2011 cpus ground.

Why would you link to shitty wccftech, when the original youtube video is there? Literally ANY source (theonion included) is better than wccftech.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

They're just rebranding their FX CPUs again. Not going to be new architecture.

Really hoping for a AM4 platform...

If they come out with AM4 and Steamroller CPU's, I'd buy it(depending on price:performance).

I hope they come out with something competitive. That would be a win for all of us regardless what you use!!

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I thought current FX CPUs still offered decent value for money in games? Not as good as an i5 of course, but not bad either.

Anyhow, this is pretty cool news.

Tea, Metal, and poorly written code.

"Free"sync

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Meanwhile AMD doesn't make highend CPUs atm they really just make Bang for the Buck gaming CPUs/Great bang for the buck rendering Cpus

dick measuring contest...

took me nearly 5 minutes to realize you weren't Slick... 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas