Ghetto cooling for laptop

CATSLUVER420

Can I cool my laptop with fans that I place under it, without having to buy a PSU to power them? I currently have the laptop's back on a book, so there is a better air circulation. The laptop gets hotter over time, because there is dust in the fan, but its complicated to open the laptop and hard to remove it all.

PS: if it would somehow work without having to buy a new PSU, what fans would you recommend that arent very highß

I know that I have seen mats that you can put your laptop on, they will have fans on them.

I use this to cool my laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Cooling-R9-NBC-4WAK-GP/dp/B002MU1ZRS/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1409335527&sr=1-14&keywords=cooling+pad

Works great, has adjustable fan speed, and power button, along with usb passthrough.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You can buy a laptop cooler which is moderateley effective, nothing too special. Or if you have fans lying around build one your own like so:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/187511-build-log-ikea-diy-laptop-cooler/

I'd recommend a higher power source than 5V because @ 5V your fans are just vagueley pushing air.

who cares...

1 fan is much cheaper, this CM cool thing doesnt realy fit, although its the biggest laptop cooling pad, i tested it out, a friend of mine has it

I use this to cool my laptop: http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-NotePal-Cooling-R9-NBC-4WAK-GP/dp/B002MU1ZRS/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1409335527&sr=1-14&keywords=cooling+pad

Works great, has adjustable fan speed, and power button, along with usb passthrough.

when I had a laptop with a vent on the bottom(my new ultrabook has no vents except at the hinge) I toyed with the idea of cutting a hole in my desk and placing a fan there. I was planning on powering a 12v fan with a 6-9v wall wart so that it would be relatively silent, and I've got wall warts that I am not using of various voltages.

I haven't tested this myself but if you wanted to go super ghetto, a friend cooled a frying pan in the freezer and placed his laptop on that, then had another pan ready to swap out. Not very practical but its always an option

A cooling pad is too expensive? No problem, just get 10 bags of frozen peas and build a fort out of them and only use your laptop inside the Fort of Frozen Peas a.k.a The Fortress of Solitude.

i5 2500k @ 4.4 // 8Gb DDR3 Ripjaw // EVO 212 CPU Cooler // Xonar DG Soundcard // 250Gb Samsung EVO SSD // 60Gb M4 SSD

Buy an Antec tri cool fan (around 8 USD).
Cut the wire to an acceptable size, strip the ends of the red and black  wire.
Find an old USB cable, do the same process as with the fan wires.
Connect black-black, red-red and wrap some electrical tape around it.
Plug in USB and you got yourself a 5V fan for additional cooling.

Edit: make sure you keep the red and black wires separated so they don't short out.

CPU: Intel i5 4440 @3.1 GHz, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H µATX, RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz,
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 280X,Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB Seagate HDD,

PSU: Corsair CX750M, Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2