Airflow advice

jayctech

So I have an inWin GT1 case with my custom built PC (I didn't put it together). It currently has a stock case fan pulling air in from the HD bays and a fan pushing air out at the back as well as a stock fan/heatsink on my FX-6350 CPU. After around a year of putting up with it I've finally gotten annoyed and decided it was time to upgrade and try and get the thing a little quieter and I think I sussed that CPU fan is responsible for most of the noise -  so I decided to get a Corsair H105 which I think comes with 2 fans on the radiator. My question is what's the best configuration for the fans? I've heard it's best to have more air coming in than going out but having 3 ins to 1 out seems like overkill.

Also thoughts on the cooler would be great.

Side note - I'm aware it's an AIO water cooler but since my main question was about airflow I thought this would be the best place to put this thread. If it isn't I'd be grateful if a mod could move it to the right place.

I think you should orient the fans to be sucking air from the outside of the case. And also you would create a positive air pressure in your case so there would be less dust build up in your case.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 4.3 GHz | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 1600 MHz 8 GB | GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280X Vapor-X 3 GB OC | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120 GB | HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 500 GB 7200 RPM | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX650G 650 W | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey Windowed | Monitor: LG IPS237 LED IPS

you need to look into positive and negative air pressure. neutral pressure doesn't really exist in the real world. Basically if more air is being pushed out than pushed in you will have negative air pressure. Since the intake fans cant match the exhaust fans the air has to come from somewhere usually all the vent hols in the back off the case, hints more dust. positive air pressure is the opposite and instead of excess air coming in the vent holes the air will exit the vent holes. the difference in pressure may cool your system differently you will just have to experiment.

Also dust guards play a factor as they restrict air flow.

-- Edit --

I'm looking into the kraken x61 or the h220x, but haven't quite decided yet.

3 intakes and 1 exhaust is not overkill. especially since your intakes are filtered, it's more like 2 to 1

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

Tyvm. Seems the general consensus is to have the 2 fans with the new cooler pull air in.

You should have rad placed on top as exhaust and have other fans act as intake. Two at front and if you feel like it, bottom or side to add.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv