My CPU too hot?

I have an i5-4690k I overclocked to 4.3 GHz (that's just where I left out while testing, I had to stop messing around with overclocking and go game with people) and a Noctua NH-D14. Idling, my processor is around the high 20s and low 30s © and while in game (FFXIV: ARR) it got as hot as 75C, but was around 60-70C most of the time. From what I've seen, the noctua temps are usually lower and I feel like that's not much of an overclock for this processor.
My entire build is:
i5 4690k

Asrock z97 Extreme4

Noctua NH-D14

Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X

256 Crucial MX100

2tb Seagate Barracuda
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

Phanteks Enthoo Pro

That is pretty hot. What kind of voltages are you at?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

1.249, which now after some more research I'm pretty sure is why it's so hot. My motherboard was handling the voltages by itself. There are so many different voltage settings on it that I don't know what to change on the BIOS.

That is pretty hot. What kind of voltages are you at?

I updated the UEFI BIOS and it had some automatic overclocking that overcloked it higher at a slightly lower voltage. I have to go to class, so I'll mess around with it when I get home.

I updated the UEFI BIOS and it had some automatic overclocking that overcloked it higher at a slightly lower voltage. I have to go to class, so I'll mess around with it when I get home.

I don't know much about devils canyon, I am on 4770k not 4790k and haven't done much research into them voltage wise, but yea. Do your due diligence and see what most people run @ what volts. Assume your chip isn't as good, so start off with a little higher volts or slightly low clocks. Then dial it in from there. No point is doing it not correctly from the start. You will just end up redoing everything anyways.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Turn that auto overclocking off, its crap and boosts the voltage way higher than it needs to be.

also at 1.25 volts your temps are a tiny bit higher than I would have expected but that might be because you are unlucky with a bad chip/ not mounted the cooler perfectly/high ambient temp.  Either way Its fine, My cpu gets to 80c after about 30 mins of load with a 3770k at 1.23 volts. 

If you are ok with 75c temps (which I think is ok) leave the voltage where it is and pump up that core clock as much as you can as its the voltage that effects temps NOT clock speed.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I don't know much about devils canyon, I am on 4770k not 4790k and haven't done much research into them voltage wise, but yea. Do your due diligence and see what most people run @ what volts. Assume your chip isn't as good, so start off with a little higher volts or slightly low clocks. Then dial it in from there. No point is doing it not correctly from the start. You will just end up redoing everything anyways.

higher volts would just cause even higher temps.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

higher volts would just cause even higher temps.

Yes, I am saying find out what volts most people use, and not have it be on auto overclock settings.

I am pretty sure I got a bad chip. I couldn't get 4.5 stable at temperatures and voltages I was comfortable with under load (it was hitting 82C before it crashed during a stress test at 1.29 volts before I gave up on that). The funny thing is, the auto overclocking voltage is where I got 4.4 to get through some light stress testing. I'm testing it more now. More on the temperatures, I think it has something to do with the thermal paste now that I've thought about it. I used the line method Linus uses and didn't do a very good job at that. I also had a ton of trouble mounting the nh-d14 which probably made the paste all weird. I'd redo the mounting and paste, but I had so much trouble that I really don't want to do it again. I feel like it would have been easier to get a water cooler.

If you guys have some more advice, I'd really appreciate it. I only wanted to do some light overclocking, but now I want more :/

Yes, I am saying find out what volts most people use, and not have it be on auto overclock settings.

ooh voltage varies massively on the chip, there isn't much point finding out what most people use. However the general rule is that you don't exceed 1.3v unless you are a ballsy mofo.

ooh voltage varies massively on the chip, there isn't much point finding out what most people use. However the general rule is that you don't exceed 1.3v unless you are a ballsy mofo.

Aaaaand it bsod after 10 minutes of testing. Ugh. Is it not too uncommon to get a bad chip? I was expecting to be able to do a lot more with this :/

Aaaaand it bsod after 10 minutes of testing. Ugh. Is it not too uncommon to get a bad chip? I was expecting to be able to do a lot more with this :/

What is your current voltage and core clock?

It crashed at 4.4 GHz and 1.23 volts after 10 minutes of OCCT and then again at 1.235 volts.

It didn't crash, but found an error after 20 minutes at 4.4 GHz and 1.24 volts. Sigh. What do I do from there since it found an error?

My 4670k (not using improved thermal paste) gets to a max of about 40 at idle and never goes above 70 at full load...  and I'm on a hyper 212 evo.  You should be getting at least 5 less degress than me with the improved thermal compound and at least 5-10 less degrees also with the Noctua.   

You might just have a bad chip? :(  My chip can get to 4.3GHZ stable at 1.170v. 

My 4670k (not using improved thermal paste) gets to a max of about 40 at idle and never goes above 70 at full load...  and I'm on a hyper 212 evo.  You should be getting at least 5 less degress than me with the improved thermal compound and at least 5-10 less degrees also with the Noctua.   

You might just have a bad chip? :(  My chip can get to 4.3GHZ stable at 1.170v. 

I'm pretty sure it's a bad chip. Makes me sad :/

It didn't crash, but found an error after 20 minutes at 4.4 GHz and 1.24 volts. Sigh. What do I do from there since it found an error?

keep that voltage and keep decresing the clock speed until its stable :/ I think you're just unlucky