MSN messenger to be fully shutdown on october 31ts, going trough the memory lane

AlexGoesHigh

well the most popular IM app that has ever existed is finally getting fully axed on that date, last year the service started to officialy get shut down 2 year ago when microsoft migrated most users to skype, though chinesse users still had the service availible, so it wasn't completely dead, until now

the verge has an awesome compilation of the history of the app through its 15 years of existance, from its inception through the absurb amount of stuff it had to keep users interested, which most of them turned out to be more annoying that usefull

nudge-screenshot.0.gif

i recomend to check out the gallery for full nostalgia, or if your a kid to know how thing used to be before smartphones

source: the verge

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Sad time

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Wait it still works?

Poor MSN, I had some good times there :3

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Muthfckn wizze's n shit

Good bye old friend

I forsee a flood of perverts looking to cyber anything and everything in existence coming....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

10yr old JAKEBAB says to a girl " what's your msn? Add me on it" lol haha if didnt think that thing still worked wtf

Wow never used it but I did usa aim for a long time till they moved to facebook. now i just here the digital crickets still fun to randomly log into the web app and see if any one ever logged on recently when im bored out my mind

I've seen so much boob flash on that client.. Man the webcam just worked. An end of an era.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

sad sad thing to see it go

it was stupid to force us over to skype, i never did go to skype, it's stupid

stupid stupid stupid

i still remember the day i found out they're gonna shut it down for us, sad memories

still have so much screenshots from web cams :D

A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

I used that soo much when i was younger.. Thought it was dead

Haha.. I've used every version apart from the last one^^ 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

IT'S STILL ALIVE??? Well, this is a little sad. Goodbye MSN messenger. 

I thought it's been dead for years now..

Really miss MSN 2007, was the best version they had. And they slowly killed it from there. I think 2009 was tolerable, but killed some of the problems 2007 had. I hate Skype with a passion. Really really wish my everyone would migrate to something better or something better get made for people to migrate to.

Wasn't Skype a buisness call tool anyway? Why the hell did it get mainstream? The only good feature about it is their latency on VoiP. And only because it slows down and speeds up to account for lost data so it doesn't chop up when bits are lost.

good ol' msn.  end of an era

They forced everyone to switch to Skype even though msn was a better messenger.  I still hate Skype's UI and the lack of customization. 

huehuehue

I used to use it too. Not sad though, I hated it.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

About time. Whenever I accidentally install it with Windows Live it demands an update, which is just a (broken) Skype installer.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Seeing the images...

29GaE2e.gif

Dem feels...

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

So many memories.

Is anyone here old enough to remember ICQ?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Is microsoft Link messenger any good?

Energy can not be created nor destroyed, just converted to a different Type of energy.
My blog: T3Krant.blogspot.com

*Looks in taskbar. Has Trillian running his old MSN accounts. Mehs at Messenger finally shutting down*

Not gonna merge them with my main Skype as that's already got enough contacts, and came about for different uses than the MSN's (one of which was meant to be a replacement of the other older one, after the older one was recovered from an attempted hijack, but never got everyone moved over... >.>). I'd be running Skype through Trillian as well, if I didn't need the group video ability (which Trillian isn't really good with, heck it's not all that good with one-on-one video calls to be frank), but Trillian is nigh-on perfect for my text messenger uses.

Because MSN messenger shut down, I no longer use it because its now converted to a Skype account. Didn't know that it wasn't shut down yet. The nudge feature was the best feature imo on messenger. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer