Need Server OS recomendation

Pitou

guys im getting my parents old pc and since i already have mine im re-purposing it for a server. Its and older computer that ran xp, what os should i use, im currently between windows server 2003 and ubuntu linux server but i barely know how to use linux

Current: CPU: Intel i7-8700k. Mobo: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming 5. RAM: 16gb G Skill Trident Z RGB. GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Super.

First: CPU: AMD FX-8350 @4.5GHz. Mobo: Asus ROG crosshair V formula-Z. RAM: 8GB Patriot Viper XTreme. GPU: Asus Radeon 7950.

What exactly are you planning to do with it? 

A mate of mine has some old hardware bundled together with 4x 3TB drives, and runs freeNAS on it. He uses it to store movies, music and various files - and runs a Teamspeak 3 server off of it too.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I say the Ubuntu server 

http://www.professormesser.com/linux-plus/linux-training-videos/  the link is helpful but is a little boring 

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

Ubuntu server is a good place to start. Debian is as well, which is a more common option for a server OS. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Ubuntu Server or CentOS

Never put Windows Server on a machine unless you're looking to run Win32 software.