PC Shuts off after exactly 30 minutes.

I Love Huskies
Go to solution Solved by nanowatt,

I have been using it playing hard to run games for about half a year so i'm pretty sure it is not being overloaded.  I have also used it the last couple days playing games for the 30 minutes and it still doesn't restart before then.  So should i look into getting the motherboard sent into MSI or Newegg so i can a new one that doesn't have this issue?

Try this too go to bios to config and disable VLAN device maybe that network adapter is actually broken

if it doesn't work either then send it back cuz is broken

not the board itself is broken but the bios.If you can flash it with an older version

I made a post a few days ago regarding the issue and came to the conclusion that it was the power supply, but after dealing with this for a couple more days and doing more research i am starting to have doubts that it is my power supply and i am thinking it is an issue with my motherboard.  So basically what happens is whenever i start up my system whether it be idle in bios or in windows playing a game it shuts down after EXACTLY 30 minutes, the fact that it is happening after EXACTLY 30 minutes is what leads me to believe that it is not a motherboard issue, i am also pretty positive that it is not a heat issue because my system is running cool; motherboard temps are 40c CPU around 35c and GPU around 35c as well.  My power supply is about 6 years old now so i am going to be buying a new one soon anyways so i will be able to test that, but before i call up MSI and send in my motherboard i just wanted to see if i could try to fix the issue here.  Another thing that might be relevant is if i just press the reset button on my case (which leaves everything powered like my fans) it resets the timer so it wont shut down for another 30 minutes.

What i have tried

Updating BIOS.

Reverting to previous BIOS.

Taking out CMOS battery in motherboard, powering the system on, powering the system off, then putting battery back in.

Leaving system in BIOS.

Unplugging everything plugged into the back of my system, keyboard, mice, ethernet, ect.

Anyways just please get back to me with anything i can try because i would really like to just give this a shot at fixing it before i send in my motherboard and cant use my computer for however long it takes to get it fixed or get them to ship me a new one.  Let me know if their is any information you need for me to get and i will try to get back to you as soon as i can, and thanks ahead to anyone who helps; i appreciate it.

Have you checked the CPU cooler it might not be seated properly, you put on too much thermal paste or have a bad one

Have you checked the CPU cooler it might not be seated properly, you put on too much thermal paste or have a bad one

I have a H100i and it has been working properly for several months now with no issues and cool temps, so i don't see how it would have issues all of a sudden.  I don't think it is a heat issue because it is exactly 30 minutes and my temps are fine.

virus scanner?

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

virus scanner?

Would a virus on the drive still make it turn off even in BIOS?  I could try disconnecting the drive and then see if it still powers off?

Would a virus on the drive still make it turn off even in BIOS?  I could try disconnecting the drive and then see if it still powers off?

i dunno, you could always try

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

i dunno, you could always try

Ok i will try that, i will reply to you in 30ish minutes with whether or not it worked.

I recommended this before and i will do it again go to msconfig select a diagnostic startup and restart the pc and leave it be for 30 mins if it doesn't restart then you have a software issue(not the os)

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

I recommended this before and i will do it again go to msconfig select a diagnostic startup and restart the pc and leave it be for 30 mins if it doesn't restart then you have a software issue(not the os)

It still turned off when i had the HDD unplugged so do i still need to do what you recommend?

^

Dat.

There could be a virus or some script or anything running that does this. Safe mode will just load what it needs, so it won't load the drivers just in case they are messing up.

It still turned off when i had the HDD unplugged so do i still need to do what you recommend?

Boot Linux from a flash drive as a live version and let it run for 30 mins. :)

You unplugged the hdd and is still turning off?In the post screen?

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

You unplugged the hdd and is still turning off?In the post screen?

It was just in the screen that said there is no boot device plugged in, it said something about plugging one in and pressing any key.  I left it on that screen and it still powered off after 30 minutes.

It was just in the screen that said there is no boot device plugged in, it said something about plugging one in and pressing any key.  I left it on that screen and it still powered off after 30 minutes.

So is not a software issue....Interesting.Do me a favor let the pc run for a while 20 mins or so use a precise temp software i need to see the gpu temperature also the temp of the chipset

eidt:just the chipset

So is not a software issue....Interesting.Do me a favor let the pc run for a while 20 mins or so use a precise temp software i need to see the gpu temperature also the temp of the chipset

The system has been just idle on this page for about 10-15 minutes now and here is a picture of the everything listed in HWMonitor.

http://i.imgur.com/iMG7ePT.png

Did this happen before?Did you notice anything strange at all when it started happening?Like fps drop or spikes when multi-tasking?

Did this happen before?Did you notice anything strange at all when it started happening?Like fps drop or spikes when multi-tasking?

I haven't had any issues with the system randomly turning off before these last couple days, the only issues i have really had is the motherboard not booting into bios sometimes but that was fixed by updating the bios, and it has worked fine since updating the bios for about a month now.  I have had a couple issues with some programs crashing and the system slowing down, but i am pretty sure it was just because my windows was getting bloated and my drive is getting old, i wiped my drive and re installed windows and i haven't had any issues like that for about 2 months now.  Oh and these last few days i have also had the computer blue screen twice now with an error related to ndis.sys.

I haven't had any issues with the system randomly turning off before these last couple days, the only issues i have really had is the motherboard not booting into bios sometimes but that was fixed by updating the bios, and it has worked fine since updating the bios for about a month now.  I have had a couple issues with some programs crashing and the system slowing down, but i am pretty sure it was just because my windows was getting bloated and my drive is getting old, i wiped my drive and re installed windows and i haven't had any issues like that for about 2 months now.  Oh and these last few days i have also had the computer blue screen twice now with an error related to ndis.sys.

ndis.sys is related to the network adapter but i am not sure if it's able to cause such restarts.Sorry but is beyond my powers.Is something related to the motherboard a bad psu can cause a shut down to protect itself by since the pc stays in idle there is no load for the psu to fail.You can try one more thing run a benchmark on the highest settings that the pc will allow to run at least 30 fps and let it run if is going to stop before 30 mins then it may be the psu or something that is overloading the pc

Try this too go to bios to config and disable VLAN device maybe that network adapter is actually broken

ndis.sys is related to the network adapter but i am not sure if it's able to cause such restarts.Sorry but is beyond my powers.Is something related to the motherboard a bad psu can cause a shut down to protect itself by since the pc stays in idle there is no load for the psu to fail.You can try one more thing run a benchmark on the highest settings that the pc will allow to run at least 30 fps and let it run if is going to stop before 30 mins then it may be the psu or something that is overloading the pc

I have been using it playing hard to run games for about half a year so i'm pretty sure it is not being overloaded.  I have also used it the last couple days playing games for the 30 minutes and it still doesn't restart before then.  So should i look into getting the motherboard sent into MSI or Newegg so i can a new one that doesn't have this issue?

not the board itself is broken but the bios.If you can flash it with an older version

I have used the update flash thing in bios and updated it to 1.0 and it still didn't fix it, is their a way i can completely return it to stock?  Also when i was trying to flash the bios it ended and restarted like it was finished when the percentage was only at 80%

How can i flash it to an older version, because that would be much easier then taking my whole system apart and sending it back.

Not quite sure... but lets make a new topic and see what people say

My guess is degrading caps. Something is going sour on the board and this is what you're getting. It's only going to get worse. Time for a new one.

Sir William of Orange: Corsair 230T - Rebel Orange, 4690K, GA-97X SOC, 16gb Dom Plats 1866C9,  2 MX100 256gb, Seagate 2tb Desktop, EVGA Supernova 750-G2, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3, DK 9008 keyboard, Pioneer BR drive. Yeah, on board graphics - deal with it!

In case anyone happens across this post with the same issue or if anyone cares i fixed it by swapping to the other bios on my motherboard, that one seems to have worked because the system has been up for about an hour now without shutting off.  Thanks everyone for the quick replies i really appreciate it, this has been bugging me for the last few days because i haven't been able to do anything.  Ithink i have a new appreciation for my computer and how i use it for pretty much everything.

• 3 years later...
On August 29, 2014 at 4:38 PM, I Love Huskies said:

In case anyone happens across this post with the same issue or if anyone cares i fixed it by swapping to the other bios on my motherboard, that one seems to have worked because the system has been up for about an hour now without shutting off.  Thanks everyone for the quick replies i really appreciate it, this has been bugging me for the last few days because i haven't been able to do anything.  Ithink i have a new appreciation for my computer and how i use it for pretty much everything.

Hi ,i know this issue is old but i have the same thing all of a sudden my ethernet port is hidden and doesnt work tried placing a lan card but all slots are dead and unrecognized also same issue u got pc shuts down after ~30 minutes , happned to me alot so was just wondering what do u mean by"other bois on my motherboard" so hopefully it could fix my issue