Quieter CPU cooler?

123guy

Hi. I am running an AMD Phenom II X4 965 with the stock cooler. Right now according to SpeedFan its at 5700 RPM and its VERY loud. The CPU temperature is at 44C, which I guess is fine. Earlier today it was at 6300 RPM. I'm not putting any load on it either.

So that's why I'm looking at these two CPU coolers.

1. Zalman LQ-310 CPU Liquid Cooler

2. Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim CPU Cooler

I don't think cooling is going to be an issue with either of these, so the main thing I'm looking at is which is more quiet? I thought that liquid coolers were the most quiet, but I looked up the noise ratings and according to this the Zalman water cooled one is more than 10 dBa louder than the "Be quiet" cooler. They are both on sale around $40.

So my question is, which one of these coolers is quieter? Also please tell me if there's something even quieter in this price range.

Thank You

(I don't know if this should be in air cooling or water cooling because its related to both)

The Be Quiet cooler is much quieter. 

Water cooling can be quieter when it comes to the higher end with many slow spinning fans but low end AIO liquid cooling units tend quite a bit louder than air coolers due to loud stock fans. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hi. I am running an AMD Phenom II X4 965 with the stock cooler. Right now according to SpeedFan its at 5700 RPM and its VERY loud. The CPU temperature is at 44C, which I guess is fine. Earlier today it was at 6300 RPM. I'm not putting any load on it either.

So that's why I'm looking at these two CPU coolers.

1. Zalman LQ-310 CPU Liquid Cooler

2. Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim CPU Cooler

I don't think cooling is going to be an issue with either of these, so the main thing I'm looking at is which is more quiet? I thought that liquid coolers were the most quiet, but I looked up the noise ratings and according to this the Zalman water cooled one is more than 10 dBa louder than the "Be quiet" cooler. They are both on sale around $40.

So my question is, which one of these coolers is quieter? Also please tell me if there's something even quieter in this price range.

Thank You

(I don't know if this should be in air cooling or water cooling because its related to both)

The Be quiet cooler will be miles quieter than the liquid cooler, AIO's are usually pretty loud.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Thanks guys, I'll go for the Be Quiet cooler.

thanks so much for you help. :)