Workstation-Gaming PC Windows 8.1 or Ubuntu 14.04

Go to solution Solved by Builder,
-snip-

Okay. Blender is fine if it's an animation workstation. Ubuntu will be perfect for you. There are free alternatives to all of the most common utilities, like word processing, spreadsheets, etc.

For starters here are my specs for my (Future) build:

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor  ($171.00 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($49.79 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($86.80 @ Mwave) 
Memory: Kingston 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($86.80 @ Mwave) 
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($209.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: Asus Radeon R7 260X 2GB DirectCU II Video Card  ($114.99 @ Micro Center) 
Case: BitFenix Prodigy M Midnight MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($99.99 @ TigerDirect) 
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $854.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-29 00:00 EDT-0400

I realize Windows has more support for games and other things, but this build I plan to serve me for maybe a couple years until I replace it with better hardware. Looking at steam, Linux seems to have a fair amount of decent games. (Also I'm sure it might be better if I spent a little more on a better GPU, which if I went the Ubuntu route I could look into like an Asus R9 or a better R7. (My reasoning for wanting mostly Asus parts is because I'd like to keep it to one brand so it makes getting drivers easier.)

I could go for cheaper ram too. I'm just trying to keep it under $1,150.

Knowing you guys you're probably going to be stick with Windows, but maybe there's a Linux supporter base here. Not sure, as you can see I'm still fairly new around here so... Yea.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Depends on how hardcore you're planning to game. A lot of indie games have Linux and/or Mac versions but for the most part AAA are Windows only. Thankfully I myself am a Valve/indie purist and they recognize Mac as a legitimate platform.

As for being a workstation, it highly depends. Programming, Linux will be far better. CAD, Windows. Video editing, Windows. Photo editing, Windows.

For technical stuff that is directly computer related Linux is your best bet. It's also a great experience to learn a new OS, especially as a programmer Unix is always handy and gaining proficiency will only serve to make you a better programmer. I'd recommend a dualboot or Linux virtualization of Ubuntu to get you started off before taking the full plunge.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Depends on how hardcore you're planning to game. A lot of indie games have Linux and/or Mac versions but for the most part AAA are Windows only. Thankfully I myself am a Valve/indie purist and they recognize Mac as a legitimate platform.

As for being a workstation, it highly depends. Programming, Linux will be far better. CAD, Windows. Video editing, Windows. Photo editing, Windows.

For technical stuff that is directly computer related Linux is your best bet. It's also a great experience to learn a new OS, especially as a programmer Unix is always handy and gaining proficiency will only serve to make you a better programmer. I'd recommend a dualboot or Linux virtualization of Ubuntu to get you started off before taking the full plunge.

I've used Ubuntu before, I do love the interface. What holds me back and I'm sure many others is the program support. You either have to find alternatives or do with out them, I have two laptops that are capable(but not preferable) for playing the Windows only games I want to play. Luckily for me most of the games I was looking at before supported Linux. The animation program I'll be using is Blender. It kind of sucks Windows 7 cost more than Windows 8, because the sole reason of dropping Windows 8 from my build is so that I could maybe put in a nicer GPU, I already am getting the best right now of the AM3+ socket. Which I don't think AMD will grow the AM3+ portfolio as they seem to like their weaker (imo) APUs. And this is just something to get my by and it's obviously better than my current PCs.

Right now my main pc is a Samsung NP365E5C-S02UB the other is an HP Pavilion g6 (2.2GHz Intel i5, 8GB Ram, 15.6" display) Eventually I can pick up Windows for my build but initially I'm thinking of going Ubuntu just so I can upgrade some parts...

-snip-

Okay. Blender is fine if it's an animation workstation. Ubuntu will be perfect for you. There are free alternatives to all of the most common utilities, like word processing, spreadsheets, etc.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Luckily Google has nice MS Office alternatives.  :D

Luckily Google has nice MS Office alternatives.  :D

Personally I like LibreOffice but that's a matter of my personal philosophy and preference.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /