Learning to code

Camul

So in the past I've tried learning Java and C++. I never got very far with any of them (not because struggled, I just suffer from sever depression and keeping motivation is very difficult), but I did find C++ a little easier (maybe because I did that after I started learning Java).

I'm in the mood to give it another chance, but I was wondering since I have the option of these two, which should I pick to learn? Is there any real benefit of learning one of over the other one?

C++ is a pretty Barebones language and requires a lot more to get things going whereas Java is rather simple and much easier to learn and create with.

At uni? Could just register for a C++ class.

No, I mean in my free time. I have no way of getting back into education now.

C++ is a pretty Barebones language and requires a lot more to get things going whereas Java is rather simple and much easier to learn and create with.

Huh, that's good to hear. I'm a little more inclined to do Java now since I just realised I can start building Minecraft mods if I do. :P

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEbaEyM-xt9l-ZJIeoKsaXqZ_FvRN17LN

barnacules has a pretty good tutorial to get you started with stuff. if you're ever interested in C#|

Starting with java/java script is a lot of fun. :)

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I wouldn't say so. C++ simply gives you more control and is less restrictive, meaning you can break it easily.

Java is more feature rich when compared 1:1, it has stuff like Garbage Collection and built-in graphics support, so it may be easier for beginners to "see" progress quicker, which in this case can be more beneficial. It's mostly pointers that I'd miss if I had to switch.

I wouldn't say so. C++ simply gives you more control and is less restrictive, meaning you can break it easily.

Java is more feature rich when compared 1:1, it has stuff like Garbage Collection and built-in graphics support, so it may be easier for beginners to "see" progress quicker, which in this case can be more beneficial. It's mostly pointers that I'd miss if I had to switch.

A lot of what helps a beginner get started on any type of new skill is seeing progress with what they are doing. The longer it takes for progress to be made the harder it is to stay motivated. This is also dependent on the person however but usually starting on a language that can show results right off the bat is very gratifying to a new programmer and can get them hooked. Coming back to C++ in the future would probably be better since you do have a lot more freedom but it takes a little longer to really have things come together.

A lot of what helps a beginner get started on any type of new skill is seeing progress with what they are doing. The longer it takes for progress to be made the harder it is to stay motivated. This is also dependent on the person however but usually starting on a language that can show results right off the bat is very gratifying to a new programmer and can get them hooked. Coming back to C++ in the future would probably be better since you do have a lot more freedom but it takes a little longer to really have things come together.

Yup, exactly. Same goes for C#, except it's more platform bound. Matter of preference really, though OP said he find C++ easier after knowing the basics of Java. It's your call @Camul. If you want to move away from strict console programming in C++, try SFML, it's fairly easy to wrap your head around and allows to implement some visually impressive features very quickly.

barnacules has a pretty good tutorial to get you started with stuff. if you're ever interested in C#|

Starting with java/java script is a lot of fun. :)

Following his series is not a bad idea. C# to java, very very similar. There are comparisons between the two languages. Each has it's pros and cons. I'm in uni and they teach java. But I preferred C# before starting here. Not saying it's changed just now I don't care what language it is. I just wanna write code

i started with java barley got into it. then i started with c++ honestly i like c++ a lot more. although its been a long while since i have done java. but i love working in c++ doe

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

i started with java barley got into it. then i started with c++ honestly i like c++ a lot more. although its been a long while since i have done java. but i love working in c++ doe

Looking at C++, my mind just melts....

Looking for a Programming Project take a look here!

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/407332-looking-for-a-project-idea-start-here/

Looking at C++, my mind just melts....

Its not that bad its quite fun actually

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

Yea... I'll stick with my Java and C# :)

Okay have fun xD come to the fun side one day though we have cookies and never ending library's that do anything for you :P

This pretty much summed up my experience. I've not gotten that far with either tbh, but I did find C++ to be a lot easier to get my head around honestly. I'm sticking with Java at the moment though.