Hardware limitations

Shadow Gamer

Will my PC be able to run Star Citizen? And if so, what framerates/setting will it be able to run it at? 

Here's my PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ffkfhM (The parts may seem like odd choices now but there used to be lots of combo's and they were cheaper)

I have a 900p monitor, but may upgrade to a 1080p one soon. 

Probably not. You would need something like an R9 GPU to run it, and you have a previous gen APU.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

No. Minimum requirements are a decent graphics card like a GTX460...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

That depends, do you like playing games as a slide show?

star citizen is probably going to be a similar release to crysis, running it at max settings will not be possible until another couple of gpu releases and running it at all will require a beefy system.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

No without a discrete graphics card I don't see you being able to run the game.

PC Specs: Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: Maximus VI Formula; CPU: Intel Haswell I5 4670k; CPU Cooler: Intel Stock (for now); RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x4GB 1600 MHz; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD; HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black; SSD: Samsung 840 EVO; PSU: Corsair AX 860; Monitor: Asus MX23H

You need a GPU :/

Save some money and you'll be able to play at low settings with a good 2010~2011 GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

You need a GPU :/

Save some money and you'll be able to play at low settings with a good 2010~2011 GPU.

I (may) be getting a r9 280 in a few months :)

And I think me IGPU will beat a 2010-2011 GPU...

They said mantel will be eventually part of it . so something like a 280 or 280x even could likely run fine it when they add mantel , with mantel on my 7970 in my htpc runs BF4 for instance ultra/high at well above 60fps - Closer to ranging 90-105fps average. 

my 290x performed slightly better then that prior to me crossfiring them but not a whole lot more surprisingly the 7970 with a mild/highish oc was actually quite competitive to it. 

So all that said if i you cant afford a 400$ 290 a 200-250$ 280 or a 300$ 280X could do nicely as a substitute so long as they do add mantel. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

I (may) be getting a r9 280 in a few months :)

And I think me IGPU will beat a 2010-2011 GPU...

That's great! With the R9 280 you'll definitely be able to play that game.

About your integrated Radeon 8670D, I don't think it'll perform better than a 2010 GPU... Just think about: even if the discrete video card is old(and maybe older), it has it's own memory which is probably bigger and faster, bigger/larger bandwidth, has it's own cooling and the GPU itself only has to deal with graphic calculations, nothing else if I'm not mistaken.

Have a look at this chart, if your iGPU is the best ranked Radeon 8670D, it has a worse score than some old boys like these...

Good luck anyway!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

They said mantel will be eventually part of it . so something like a 280 or 280x even could likely run fine it when they add mantel , with mantel on my 7970 in my htpc runs BF4 for instance ultra/high at well above 60fps - Closer to ranging 90-105fps average. 

my 290x performed slightly better then that prior to me crossfiring them but not a whole lot more surprisingly the 7970 with a mild/highish oc was actually quite competitive to it. 

So all that said if i you cant afford a 400$ 290 a 200-250$ 280 or a 300$ 280X could do nicely as a substitute so long as they do add mantel. 

I'm very, very broke at the moment, can barely afford a SSD. 

I honestly only want to play on medium at 45 FPS, so I think the 280 will do me just fine. 

280s are great cards 

If it was me id skip the SSD for videocard upgrades in the short term. 

your load times will be slightly longer but gameplay will not suffer fps. 

i would go with a 600 Watt psu for this build btw cuz 450 is pushing your luck. 

280s also oc well too and can outperform stock 280X's when oc'ed mildly so thats also something you can sort of count on with any of the dual/tripple fan cooler models available , Id avoid gigabyte 280's atm I love my 7970 Giga OC WF3 but the revisions after mine on both 7970-7950's are voltage locked which prevents great oc's. 

If it was me 

Id Get the 280 - get a 600-750 watt psu -  skip the SSD for now - As for HDD's i've had tons of Blues and greens and even some Black WD's die here where i work 

I used to buy Hitachi drives alot and have had super super low fail rates and solid performance from them. 

the Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB 3.5 Drives seem to be continuing that kind of performance and quality the hitachi lines started If i was buying a new 1tb id probably get that drive over a blue just personal preference. 

then later down the road when you get 150 ish $ get a 240GB SSD and ghost over the OS and use the 1tb for extra storage and non demanding or super large games. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

. your load times will be slightly longer but gameplay will not suffer fps. 

i would go with a 600 Watt psu for this build btw cuz 450 is pushing your luck. 

If it was me 

then later down the road when you get 150 ish $ get a 240GB SSD and ghost over the OS and use the 1tb for extra storage and non demanding or super large games. 

There's significant stuttering in my games, I think the SSD will help.

I don't have a budget for a PSU, and rewiring everything is going to be the pain. 

I don't have the budget for that big a SSD... I'm really broke right now, I'm not legally allowed to get a job, if you're going to suggest that. 

SSD will only help with load times. 

any FPS stuttering will not be alleviated with a SSD as the two do not correlate  .. fair warning. 

any FPS stuttering will not be alleviated with a SSD as the two do not correlate .. fair warning.

Trust me stuttering can be from slow HDD not just loading times

Had that myself

any FPS stuttering will not be alleviated with a SSD as the two do not correlate  .. fair warning. 

Sometimes FPS is around 40 and I still get stuttering. I think it's a networking and HDD problem together. 

sometimes your FPS monitor won't make it obvious that you're stuttering. I think it's your CPU actually, the APUs are NOT known for their strong CPU performance.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

sometimes your FPS monitor won't make it obvious that you're stuttering. I think it's your CPU actually, the APUs are NOT known for their strong CPU performance.

4 cores and 4GHz.  -_-

4 cores and 4GHz.  -_-

yes, but compared to my 3570K and 3.5 ghz, it's a pile of shit.

the "speed" of a processor (as in, it's clock rate) does NOT allow you to proclaim it as a fast processor. AMD APUs are inherently slow, because their architecture is slow.

I'll admit, it probably seems perfectly snappy in desktop applications. but as soon as you're gaming, the difference is phenomenal.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

A proper GPU will likely fix his microstutters. 

a nice OC of that CPU would help with cpu bottlenecks. 

I have multiple SSD based pc's and a HDD based pc aswell Ive never seen stuttering on any of them in anything and the HDD machine runs everything all the rest can run. 

The only thing i could see a HDD based PC causing stuttering on is games like Half Life that load the map as you walk through it. 

haven't seen any games like that in a long while since Memory modules are much larger now most games just heavily cache map into the memory. 

I'll admit, it probably seems perfectly snappy in desktop applications. but as soon as you're gaming, the difference is phenomenal.

So the architecture of AMD APU's is different from AMD's CPU's? Huh. Didn't know that. 

a nice OC of that CPU would help with cpu bottlenecks. 

Hello no, the thing runs at 50C on idle. The GPU may help, though, I've been told. 

So the architecture of AMD APU's is different from AMD's CPU's? Huh. Didn't know that. 

some are. and even then, AMD's desktop CPUs are not equal to Intel's. AMD's 8350 is about equivalent to a slightly UNDERCLOCKED 2500K. that's a 2-gen-old processor from intel, that's been underclocked. HOWEVER, that's on a single-threaded workload. in anything multi-threaded the 8350 would win. Your APU is less powerful than a FX 4300, a VERY entry level CPU from AMD.

HOWEVER! look at your CPU usage and your GPU usage while you're getting stuttering. tell us which (if either) is maxed out.

Daily Driver:

some are. and even then, AMD's desktop CPUs are not equal to Intel's. 

Isn't that common knowledge? 

My usage is just fine, it only maxes out when I run 3DMark.