So, GabeN and NVIDIA teamed up...

LukaP

http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/08/28/valve-geforce-in-home-streaming/

6242dc632490f791c9fdaad15a987779.png

“We’ve worked closely with NVIDIA to support hardware encoding on GeForce cards with our Steam In-Home Streaming technology, and the result is nothing short of amazing,” said Sam Lantinga, at Valve.

At NVIDIA, we’re all about great gaming experiences. Our goal for game streaming is no different: customers should be able to enjoy the same high-resolution graphics and split-second responsiveness on a remote system as they would directly on a PC.

Our dedicated hardware encoder rapidly encodes each frame with the best required image quality, while keeping lag to a bare minimum. It does all this while providing amazing graphics performance and leaving the CPU available for even the most demanding games.

The result: a great game streaming experience in any room of your house.

well it was to be expected from valve to do this... so, yaay? :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Sounds like Nvidia's desperate attempt to not get phased out by OpenCL and Mantle and stuff like that.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Nvidia sucking another corporate cock to get another one-up against AMD. 

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Sounds like Nvidia's desperate attempt to not get phased out by OpenCL and Mantle and stuff like that.

mantle was made obsolete by DX12 and oGL, and that was the entire point of it... 

openCL doesnt really have much to do in this discussion

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

ehh, i think valve was partenerd with nvidia a long time ago, though i'm not sure how long, but i find it ironic that they are still partners, considering valve is pushing linux hard and nvidia doesn't have a very good track record supporting that platform

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

ehh, i think valve was partenerd with nvidia a long time ago, though i'm not sure how long, but i find it ironic that they are still partners, considering valve is pushing linux hard and nvidia doesn't have a very good track record supporting that platform

They're partnered with Nvidia and AMD (and Alienware).

not quite true, nvidia has decent linux drivers.

They said this when the first steam machines appeared on the beta announcement. And the further partnership will help Steam to improve their game streaming, thanks to Nvidia's development on the Shield.

Not a surprise, also this might encourage Nvidia to give proper driver support to Linux.

not quite true, nvidia has decent linux drivers.

He was referring to their track record. I.e, their history with Linux driver support. Their drivers might be alright nowadays, but in the past they have been shite. Although i'm sure AMD/ATI's drivers havn't always been up to scratch at times.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

What the hell is OpenCL got to do here?

CUDA is miles ahead of it already.

And Mantle...ah.It was just AMD trying to make a move in the right direction.Their implementation obviously failed,but at least they also changed the industry's direction too(DX12,OpenGL,etc.).They were hoping Mantle would become an industry standard,but I'm pretty sure it won't.In that case,their backup was that Mantle would give them a good karma in front of the public.

On the side note : OpenCL was developed originally by Apple,and then in collab. with AMD,Qualcomm,IBM,Intel and Nvidia.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

He was referring to their track record. I.e, their history with Linux driver support. Their drivers might be alright nowadays, but in the past they have been shite. Although i'm sure AMD/ATI's drivers havn't always been up to scratch at times.

but who cares about the past. in the past, the 480 was a power hog and heat producer. are nvidia still very inefficient? nope.

This technology is amazing i think this way i wont have to build my dad a new PC just so he can play games 3-4 times a week i will just stream to the TV give him a controller and no money wasted! 

At the rate this is going, I'm going to be selling my Xbox One and putting together an M-ITX PC with the same usage scenario, but more functionality, customization, better specs, and access to my massive Steam library.  There are literally zero exclusives to give a shit about too, making the decision even easier.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Nvidia sucking another corporate cock to get another one-up against AMD.

Two companies have very similar services; those two companies put together their efforts to help make both services better.

I don't see the problem here.

If it were any other scenario with Nvidia and a game company I would agree. But in this case the two were working on a extremely similar service/experience, so I don't think they're just trying to stomp AMD this time.

I would also agree if AMD had a similar streaming service like Nvidia and Valve, but currently they don't.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

Ron-Swanson-is-excited.gif

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Hail GabeN.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I think teaming with intel would be a better option over the next 2 years. most people don't have these gaming pc's and Intel is quickly comming up on AMD'/Nvidia low end. after all most of their games aren't extremely demanding.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Dirty AMD peasants,                                                                                                                         Glorious PC Gaming Valvidia Master Race

2489846-8589909743-origi.jpg

AMD's drivers still aren't good for linux mate.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

AMD's drivers still aren't good for linux mate.

Where exactly did i state AMD's drivers are good? I was mainly talking about Nvidia's history with Linux drivers, not how Linux drivers are nowadays.