Overclocking Help

Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,

I'm a newbie to all this, so should I just try tightening it down, or take it off and reapply paste?

Try first tighten and if that doesn't help, take it off and redo whole thing. Screws should so tight that you can't turn them by hand anymore. If you happen to be strong with hands, don't go over threads. You can always test how tight they can be without using mobo.

I just built my system a few months ago, and I'd like to overclock my 4770k, but when a friend of mine came over to help me, the temperature was pegged at 100˚C when running prime95 in small FFT mode. It is currently being cooled by a Cooler Master Sedion 120M with the two fans that were included in the case.

Does anyone have any ideas to bring the temp down without spending a ton of money? and I also need a bit of help overclocking since my friend is no longer in town.

I'm assuming it's currently at stock speeds?

What thermal paste did you use?

Are you 100% sure it's mounted correctly? Meaning, is the block seated on the CPU properly?

Can you provide pictures of how the block is seated?

I also remember someone saying Prime95 isn't good for Haswell for some reason.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

I just built my system a few months ago, and I'd like to overclock my 4770k, but when a friend of mine came over to help me, the temperature was pegged at 100˚C when running prime95 in small FFT mode. It is currently being cooled by a Cooler Master Sedion 120M with the two fans that were included in the case.

Does anyone have any ideas to bring the temp down without spending a ton of money? and I also need a bit of help overclocking since my friend is no longer in town.

Uh I would clean off the thermal paste on the cpu and cooler and reapply it and reseat the cpu also.  Wow at that temperature you got!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I'll give aida64 a shot.

I just used the tube of paste that came with the cooler.

Currently it is running at stock speeds, where (at least with prime 95) it also will hit 100˚C

I'll give aida64 a shot.

I just used the tube of paste that came with the cooler.

Currently it is running at stock speeds, where (at least with prime 95) it also will hit 100˚C

never stress test with your voltage set at anything other than manual as the others will just cause the cpu to draw more power as it needs thus increasing heat and invalidating your clocks

dont use prime 95 to stress use aida64

Why exactly?

Prime95 works fine for stress testing a rig.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I'm trying to get a photo now but the motherboard heatsyncs are getting in the way

Why exactly?

Prime95 works fine for stress testing a rig.

because of issues with the haswell architecture and it also doesn't show when and if your cpu is throttling inorder to keep its temps low

because of issues with the haswell architecture and it also doesn't show when and if your cpu is throttling inorder to keep its temps low

Kek, AVX2 and FMA3 instructions seem to be causing the voltage to go up.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Look bit loose to me. How are your voltages while you are doing stress testing?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Prime has always given me grief with temperatures, and is completely unrealistic. Stick with Aida64 whenever possible

i5 4690K | Asus Ranger VII | 8GB HyperX Fury | Asus GTX 780 | NZXT H440 | Samsung 850 Evo | Seagate Barracuda | Corsair RM 750W | Corsair H105 

E3-1246 v3 | Asus Gryphon Z97 | 8GB HyperX Fury | MSI GTX 970 | Enthoo Evolv mATX | Samsung 840 Evo | WD Red | EVGA SuperNova GS 650W | NZXT Kracken x41 

I'm a newbie to all this, so should I just try tightening it down, or take it off and reapply paste?

Try first tighten and if that doesn't help, take it off and redo whole thing. Screws should so tight that you can't turn them by hand anymore. If you happen to be strong with hands, don't go over threads. You can always test how tight they can be without using mobo.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv