Buying SC

Shadow Gamer

I have a handful of questions about buying Star Citizen.

Is the only way I can play the game right now is to buy a game package? If not, what other things do I have to buy to play the game? I know the game packages come with ships, but can I get a ship without a package right now, with currency(In-game)?

I heard this was possible, but is it only for the final release? Is this a free-to-play game?

I imagine you'll have to buy the game. Otherwise they'd have to have micro transactions in the game in order to monetize it. Somewhere, there has to be profit for them.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I have a handful of questions about buying Star Citizen.

Is the only way I can play the game right now is to buy a game package? If not, what other things do I have to buy to play the game? I know the game packages come with ships, but can I get a ship without a package right now, with currency(In-game)?

I heard this was possible, but is it only for the final release? Is this a free-to-play game?

Buy a package AND arena commander pass, you will be able to buy ships in game yes, so you could buy the best now OR buy base and work your way up in game.

It's not free to pay but micro transactions will be optional and unnecessary

I imagine you'll have to buy the game. Otherwise they'd have to have micro transactions in the game in order to monetize it. Somewhere, there has to be profit for them.

That's what free-to-play is...  

So I will have to pay to play, right? There's microtransatction's in the game AND you have to pay to start? 

when the game releases you will have to buy into the game(50-60$) and it will be subsidized by micro transactions. no subscription fees it would be similar to guild wars 2

It will work similar to what Guild Wars 2 does. Once the game is out you will be able to buy it for a set price. With that initial purchase you will get a starter ship which you can use to start your adventure. Once in game you will be as or to earn in game currency and buy any other ship you may want without spending another penny. There may or may not be micro transactions but if there are they will only feature cosmetic items such as skins or fish for your aquarium or other decorations for your hangar.

If you decid to back the game now you have several options. You can buy a starter package and use in game currency to work your way up or you can buy a more high end ship to use in game. In any case if you want to play in the alpha (currently only consisting of the Arena Commander module) you will have to buy and alpha pass.

Hope that answers all your questions, if not feel free to ask!

PC Specs: Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: Maximus VI Formula; CPU: Intel Haswell I5 4670k; CPU Cooler: Intel Stock (for now); RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x4GB 1600 MHz; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD; HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black; SSD: Samsung 840 EVO; PSU: Corsair AX 860; Monitor: Asus MX23H

So, say, I just buy a game package right now, will I still have access to the game when it comes out? I may just want to buy it for cheap right now ($30) and then use my ship when the game fully comes out. 

Speaking of which, if I buy just a game package, will I have access to the full game when it comes out? 

So, say, I just buy a game package right now, will I still have access to the game when it comes out? I may just want to buy it for cheap right now ($30) and then use my ship when the game fully comes out. 

Speaking of which, if I buy just a game package, will I have access to the full game when it comes out?

If you buy a package (package not just a ship) now you get final game access ("Squadron 42 Digital Download"/"Star Citizen Digital Download" and some also include beta access) with no further subscription etc. required (buy to play), to get alpha access you have to buy module passes (arena commander, etc.) on top because all the early slots are taken (unless the package has the pass bundled).

The answer is right in the package, if it say digital download and squadron 42 and other stuff it's the game on releas.

Cheapest option right now is 40-45 and you get the arena commander as well, I'm on the phone so I can't link it atm.

The answer is right in the package, if it say digital download and squadron 42 and other stuff it's the game on releas.

Cheapest option right now is 40-45 and you get the arena commander as well, I'm on the phone so I can't link it atm.

Cheapest option: 

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR

and

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Module-Passes/Arena-Commander

Don't have to click 2 things option (also includes beta access):

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Arena-Commander-Starter

Yeah, the $30 pack is within by budget, I'll see if I can get that. It's unlikely, though. 

Their WILL be microtransactions, but this is so that us cheapskates dont have to pay a monthly pass and people who are rich can skip ahead.

Ship packages are how they are paying for the game atm, but when the full game drops you will have to buy a ship in game or use microtransactions.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

Their WILL be microtransactions, but this is so that us cheapskates dont have to pay a monthly pass and people who are rich can skip ahead.

Ship packages are how they are paying for the game atm, but when the full game drops you will have to buy a ship in game or use microtransactions.

Your making it sound that its so bad its just another pay to win game. 

Also what "monthly pass" are you talking about???

First: we cant buy Ships trough Microtransaktion at release.

Second: we can´t Buy enough "ingame" credit to buy a ship nor mater how deep your pockets are, there is a limit.

and thats all i know, my guess is that Hangar decoration and stuff will be part of the Microtransactions.

No Weapons.

No Ships

No Raw Materials.

Micro transactions don't hurt games as long as it doesn't give people noticeable advantages over others who earn their stuff in game. 

Games that give people special weapons and stuff if they pay are definitely pay to win. 

But people need to understand that companies need to make money or the game funds disappear quickly. 

Games that only offer cosmetics for microtransactions often find that eventually people stop paying and the well dries up but the more successful offer micros for more things in a way that gives people a chance to spend if they have limited time. 

and if they have lots of time then they can also get the same items just fine without paying. 

cosmetics are often pay only though which i think is fine as they are outside the scope of game balance. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

Your making it sound that its so bad its just another pay to win game. 

Also what "monthly pass" are you talking about???

First: we cant buy Ships trough Microtransaktion at release.

Second: we can´t Buy enough "ingame" credit to buy a ship nor mater how deep your pockets are, there is a limit.

and thats all i know, my guess is that Hangar decoration and stuff will be part of the Microtransactions.

No Weapons.

No Ships

No Raw Materials.

The monthly pass I talk about is from like WoW and Eve were the companies pay for the servers through charging a reaccuring fee to play. Star Citizen wont have one and because of that will have to have microtransactions to buy UEE credits, and while there may be a limit on how much you can buy per week what you can buy with your UEE credits is not artificially limited to certain utilities or objects. Atleast this is what I am aware of from what I have read.

And so GabeN has told us to march forthith unto the Land of Holy welding our swords of mice, shields of keyboards, and helmets of Oculus Rifts where we shall reclaim it-which is rightfully ours-from the PUNY Console Peasants from whom armed only with mere controllers we shall decimate in all forms of battle and we shall dominate even in their most ridiculous tradition and infatuation of CoD. Yes, my brothers- sisters and trans sexuals too- we shall destroy the inferior of races with our might and majesty. And if any Peasants wish to join us they must speak now or forever perish. -Ancient Speech from a Leader of Old, Book of Murratri section 2

The monthly pass I talk about is from like WoW and Eve were the companies pay for the servers through charging a reaccuring fee to play. Star Citizen wont have one and because of that will have to have microtransactions to buy UEE credits, and while there may be a limit on how much you can buy per week what you can buy with your UEE credits is not artificially limited to certain utilities or objects. Atleast this is what I am aware of from what I have read.

It's a good system, since everybody can get credits regardless of how much they pay, it's not like it's an exclusive currency. 

It's a good system, since everybody can get credits regardless of how much they pay, it's not like it's an exclusive currency.

I know and I never said it was, I support the model of SC because it allows people to not have to be hard core but still be a high up character.

I know and I never said it was, I support the model of SC because it allows people to not have to be hard core but still be a high up character.

Eh, personally I ain't going to pay anything except the starting fee and then play like crazy to get all that stuff. 

Well for one there are no levels in this game so you don't have to worry about someone being higher level than you. It won't matter if you are just starting a new character or have played for ages. It depends on what ship and equipment you have as well as your personal skill as a player. Secondly you can only ever own 150000 UEC at a time. Not per week or anything. So even if you can buy uec with money at release, you can't abuse it.

PC Specs: Case: NZXT Phantom 530; Motherboard: Maximus VI Formula; CPU: Intel Haswell I5 4670k; CPU Cooler: Intel Stock (for now); RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Red 2x4GB 1600 MHz; GPU: XFX Radeon HD 7950 DD; HDD: WD 1TB Caviar Black; SSD: Samsung 840 EVO; PSU: Corsair AX 860; Monitor: Asus MX23H