XFX R9 280X- random freezes

funnysambam

I just installed my XFX R9 280X 3GB into my new PC. Installed the drivers from the disk *shudder* to get it up and running and then quickly downloaded the latest drivers from the AMD website. 

The PC will randomly freeze, under medium loads, but not often whilst playing a game. The screen (or both screens, I run 2x 1080P panels) will turn either white/grey or similar or have white/grey bars going down the screen. 

If I'm listening to music, the music will continue playing or just freeze completely.

A hard restart normally fixes this, and the event log just shows Unexpected Shutdown when checked.

I''ve re-installed the driver multiple times but the problem stays every time, and the card runs fine otherwise in games, giving me amazing FPS.

Is this a driver issue, or am I doing something wrong?

System specs:

XFX R9 280x 3GB DD

Core i7 2600 (non-K)

MSi B75MA-E33

4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333

Corsair HX750

SanDisk 128GB SSD

Windows 8.1 64-bit

PC - Ryzen 7 2700X, ASUS B450-PLUS, 16GB ADATA XPG DDR4, Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER, 500GB PNY XLR8, 1TB WD Green, Corsair HX750, AMD Wraith Prism, Phanteks Enthoo Pro, 2x Acer Nitro 27" 1440P IPS, Corsair K65, RGB mouse, Razer mousepad!

Mac - 2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13" (2.7 i5, 8GB, 256GB)

Your first mistake was buying XFX. Your second mistake is having only 4GB of RAM (mostly unrelated but still a mistake :P).

XFX is known to have issues with the VRM temps so download GPU-Z and monitor GPU temp and VRM temps.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

Your first mistake was buying XFX. Your second mistake is having only 4GB of RAM (mostly unrelated but still a mistake :P).

XFX is known to have issues with the VRM temps so download GPU-Z and monitor GPU temp and VRM temps.

His 3rd mistake was using the disc drivers, lol.

@OP did you uninstall the drivers you got from the disc before installing the latest from AMD's site?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

His 3rd mistake was using the disc drivers, lol.

@OP did you uninstall the drivers you got from the disc before installing the latest from AMD's site?

AMD drivers automatically do a clean install if I recall correctly.

RIG: I7-4790k @ 4.5GHz | MSI Z97S SLI Plus | 12GB Geil Dragon RAM 1333MHz | Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970 (1550MHz core/7800MHz memory) @ +18mV(Maxed out at 1650/7800 so far) | Corsair RM750 | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Closed) | Sound Blaster Z                                                                                                                        Getting: Noctua NH-D15 | Possible 250GB Samsung 850 Evo                                                                                        Need a console killer that actually shits on every console? Here you go (No MIR/Promo)

This is why you should not get an FX CPU for ANY scenario other than rendering on a budget http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/286142-fx-8350-r9-290-psu-requirements/?p=3892901 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/266481-an-issue-with-people-bashing-the-fx-cpus/?p=3620861

I've always manually uninstalled, rebooted then installed the newer drivers.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

I hope this card isn't as bad as people have said as I have one :lol:

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

I hope this card isn't as bad as people have said as I have one :lol:

XFX is horrible I sent in my card for RMA since I froze at least 5 times a day and BSOD'd atleast twice a day

I genuinely can't fathom the hate for XFX cards here, I've been using them for nearly six years and never once had an issue. In fact the first XFX card I bought still runs fine. 

Anyway I suggest updating the card's bios, there has been a similar issue on the R9 290.

I can't find the old ones anywhere so I assume thats whats happened

I genuinely can't fathom the hate for XFX cards here, I've been using them for nearly six years and never once had an issue. In fact the first XFX card I bought still runs fine. 

Anyway I suggest updating the card's bios, there has been a similar issue on the R9 290.

Thanks. Tried flashing the BIOS but the dreaded white screens returned. Any other ideas anyone?  

PC - Ryzen 7 2700X, ASUS B450-PLUS, 16GB ADATA XPG DDR4, Gigabyte GTX 1660 SUPER, 500GB PNY XLR8, 1TB WD Green, Corsair HX750, AMD Wraith Prism, Phanteks Enthoo Pro, 2x Acer Nitro 27" 1440P IPS, Corsair K65, RGB mouse, Razer mousepad!

Mac - 2015 Macbook Pro Retina 13" (2.7 i5, 8GB, 256GB)

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/display_driver_uninstaller_download.html

use the above program to uninstall the drivers

install only the AMD 14.4 drivers

test the GPU on another PC

if it give the same problem on another PC

return the GPU and get another brand of GPU

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

• 5 months later...

Man, please tell me what have you done to fix your problem?

I have a XFX R9 270X CDBC (Black Double Dissipation Ed.) and your post in the entire web is the one that best matches my issue.

I can play games on Ultimate or Extreme normally, for hours, and the card gives me good performance... But randomly, every 15 days or so while I'm doing nothing special just browsing the web the PC will freeze to a white screen with stripes like this ( pics: http://imgur.com/d0Qhdovhttp://imgur.com/2YakK5z ). I don't know if sounds continue but the keyboard is for sure frozen, e.g. Numlock doesn't toggle the light. I've taken the DVI cable from the port and connected to the other and it outputs no signal, I connect it to the Intel motherboard DVI and outputs no signal either, back to the original port I'm using and the white screen with stripes are there again. I push the tower reset button and when I check Windows Event Viewer nothing is there registered in the time it froze it only says the system shutdown that happened unexpected (exactly because I pressed the reset button and nothing else).

My specs: i3 4150, GA-H97M-D3H, 1x4GB Corsair Vegeance 1600 Mhz CL9, EVGA 500W 80plus PSU.

- My system was bought just 4 months ago, all new except the case and everything is clean. I made sure the card is well connected and the PCI-e PSU cables too.

- I ran Memtest, RAM is fine. I've ran a similar software to check the card's VRAM and it's fine!

The result would be obvious of course, I think, I can game for hours so how can anything on the system be faulty? It's also obvious the PSU can handle it and specially when I'm just browsing the web - I browse with Flash Player disabled on Opera so it should be very light!

- I've reinstalled Windows 8.1, I have fully updated it with Windows Update, I checked its integrity with sfc /scannow... It's ok.

- Intel graphics are disabled in the BIOS. I've used DDU to remove Intel and AMD drivers, then clean installed the latest Catalyst version.

- The video card BIOS is already up-to-date/newer than everything out there in the web.

Nothing solves the issue. This is driving me insane. :x

Not even XFX support knows what's going on.

I think I've nailed the cause of issue to 3 possibilities by now:

- Driver bug on the "low power" mode handling or how it treats the spikes to the full clock specially since it's an pre-OCed card.

- Terrible power service in my area, it really gets low and maybe the PSU can't get what it wants from the wall(?). Still while the problem is random, the energy is always bad here speciall yat night and I still can game normally at night time.

- Something in the GPU is in bad state. :(

I'll try to leave the PC running Memtest overnight just to be sure.

I don't think I'm under warranty anymore but I can check that... I live in Brazil and RMA'ing it would have to be via international mail the biggest PITA I could imagine.

I've seen around other topics that downclocking the card 50 Mhz may fix the issue? It may related to the #1 and #3 possibilities I listed I guess...

Thanks in advance.