Processor overheating

Alexkiss21

Hey there,

For the past 2 years my PC started to boot with the "CPU Fan Error" "Press F1" message, which I ignored by setting the CPU Fan RPM to "Ignore" in the BIOS. After cleaning out my rig a few weeks ago, I decided to switch it back, it might be not showing up, yet it did. I've got to a point where anything except JUST RUNNING the system would cause the PC to crash in a matter of time. For example, browsing is fine, but watching YouTube for a longer period of time, or watching Twitch for 10 minutes causes it to fail. Oh, don't even get me started on "gaming".

After a bit of browsing the CPU gets as hot that a few mins of gaming causes it to overheat.

The BIOS says it's 113°C, which I tought was a broken thermometer, but turns out the heatsink burns my finger.

Is there any way that I could set my CPU fan to spin at maximum rpm, or beacuse the heatsink underneath is so hot, it interferes with it?

I don't care about noise level, just let it run.

Oh, I haven't changed thermal paste. Sooo yeah.

re-fit and apply some good thermal paste

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

does your fan/heat sink spin?   check thermal paste and the heatsink is connected to the cpu fan socket thing

Hey there,

For the past 2 years my PC started to boot with the "CPU Fan Error" "Press F1" message, which I ignored by setting the CPU Fan RPM to "Ignore" in the BIOS. After cleaning out my rig a few weeks ago, I decided to switch it back, it might be not showing up, yet it did. I've got to a point where anything except JUST RUNNING the system would cause the PC to crash in a matter of time. For example, browsing is fine, but watching YouTube for a longer period of time, or watching Twitch for 10 minutes causes it to fail. Oh, don't even get me started on "gaming".

After a bit of browsing the CPU gets as hot that a few mins of gaming causes it to overheat.

The BIOS says it's 113°C, which I tought was a broken thermometer, but turns out the heatsink burns my finger.

Is there any way that I could set my CPU fan to spin at maximum rpm, or beacuse the heatsink underneath is so hot, it interferes with it?

I don't care about noise level, just let it run.

Oh, I haven't changed thermal paste. Sooo yeah.

--- CPU:  AMD A10-7850k --- Motherboard:  ASUS X88MPlus --- RAM:  G-Skill 8GB Ripjaws X DDR3 2133 Dual --- GPU:  Integrated APU --- Case:  Aerocool Dead Silence Gaming Cube Case  ---

This happens when youre using stock cooler, no offense. and almost no airflow to the computer. clean your computer if its full of dusts, change the cooler to maybe a hyper 212 EVO, replace the Thermal paste. hope the steps help you. but can i have your specs?

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

It would be quite funny if my heatsink would spin.

Yes, my fan spins but by looking at it i can tell it's slow. The bios says it's around 200-250 RPM.

It's not the stock intel cooler, it's by coolermaster. I don't know the exact model number, sorry.

Oh, my magnificent specs:

Asus p5b

Intel Pentium D935

HD6570

3GB memory

It would be quite funny if my heatsink would spin.

Yes, my fan spins but by looking at it i can tell it's slow. The bios says it's around 200-250 RPM.

It's not the stock intel cooler, it's by coolermaster. I don't know the exact model number, sorry.

Oh, my magnificent specs:

Asus p5b

Intel Pentium D935

HD6570

3GB memory

CM? 200-250RPM? I think there might be an error in your system, can you try turning your fan speed up in some way in the BIOS? 200-250RPM is awfully bad, usually fan nowadays speeds up to 1000+RPM

EDIT: Im actually more surprised that your PC still survives than i am surprised 250RPM by coolermaster

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

That's why I wrote here, so is there any way to set it in the bios to run at way higher rpm? As I said, I don't care if it's noisey.

That's why I wrote here, so is there any way to set it in the bios to run at way higher rpm? As I said, I don't care if it's noisey.

Maybe this site will help:

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/turn-up-fan-speed-computer-53039.html

NOTE: Every BIOS menu is different, so dont expect fan speed control in the same place or even the same name

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

It's an Asus board, which means it has the feature called "Q-Fan control", I read I should turn it on.

It's an Asus board, which means it has the feature called "Q-Fan control", I read I should turn it on.

Post an update will ya, oh and good luck to it

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

I forgot to mention that it returns to around 1000-1100 RPM after the OS boots, but I don't know if it slows down if the pc restarts, or if there is a high load.

Anyways, I turned on the afformentioned Q-Fan control, and set it to Performance Mode. I will give it a go with a few games, I'll write back with an update.

Thank you very much for all of your help, mostly Rashy :)

I forgot to mention that it returns to around 1000-1100 RPM after the OS boots, but I don't know if it slows down if the pc restarts, or if there is a high load.

Anyways, I turned on the afformentioned Q-Fan control, and set it to Performance Mode. I will give it a go with a few games, I'll write back with an update.

Thank you very much for all of your help, mostly Rashy :)

huzzah! if theres a super high load usually the cpu downclocks abit and the RPM increases, but if the load it too high it'll give off a few warnings(if you turn heat warning on in the BIOS) but dont worry, the downclock wont be that big just 0.1Ghz at most loads.

Install this: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

it lets you monitor your heat, RPM, and Voltages.

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

Holy mother of god. I don't know if it's the Coolermaster fan finally working at it's full potential, or what happened, but it seems pretty stable. Atleast it was for a hour of playing. CPUID still says 100°C tho.

Holy mother of god. I don't know if it's the Coolermaster fan finally working at it's full potential, or what happened, but it seems pretty stable. Atleast it was for a hour of playing. CPUID still says 100°C tho.

If its stable its gameable

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

We will see later on, how it performs with longer sessions, or with streams, but it seems pretty good for now. I will have to try Black Ops 2. It's my processor's biggest enemy, hope it will run now.

We will see later on, how it performs with longer sessions, or with streams, but it seems pretty good for now. I will have to try Black Ops 2. It's my processor's biggest enemy, hope it will run now.

Save Up, Game Up.

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop: