Scissor-type switches vs Cherry/Khail switches

Go to solution Solved by BaSkA,

The BlackWidow is not mine and I have no plans on getting a Razer product...

I'll try to look for the G710 in the local shops...

I don't need new headphones (yet), but the bundle is attractive...

As for the switches, any differences between them? I've got my eyes on a TT ESports Meka with black cherry switches right now... Not sure if it's backlit, but backlighting is optional in my case since I've got a good desk lamp...

There are many mechanical keyboards out there. Most of them use the Cherry MX switches so they are all good and somewhat share the same quality.

However, some keyboards have a better quality plastic for their keycaps(the thing you touch with your fingers when you type, I think the word would be keys or keycaps, not sure), some have a better paint/sticker for the letters/numbers/symbols, etc.

Now, as for the switches, at least the Cherry MX', they have different colors to indicate how they behave. This is a great explanation for how each color behave when pressed. Basically it's like this:

Blacks make no sound and you cannot feel when the key is pressed;

Reds are like the blacks, except they are "lighter" so you don't have to apply so much force so that the key is pressed;

Browns (my favourites) are tactical but make no sound. You can feel when the key is pressed but you won't hear it (a lot);

Blues (from the BlackWidow) are tactical and make a sound when pressed. IMO they are really good but when you need to type at 3am they can be quite annoying;

There are other colors but I have never seen any of them live, only the ones I just told you about. Any switch will be louder than the regular membrane ones because of how they work but, once you feel it, get used to it and like it, it's really hard to go back.

Each color has its "best" usage. They say Blacks and Reds are the best for typing, Blues are the best for high response from your senses so you know when the key is pressed, etc... For me, that's all kind of BS because it really depends on what you feel. I know people that hate my Browns or Blues because they don't like to feel when the key is pressed. I, however, like very much the feeling.

If you can, try to experiment with all of the keys before deciding which one you want. If you can't, try to imagine how it feels and go with it! There are many videos on youtube about this, so I hope you will be pleased with your choice! Unfortunately, mechanical keyboards are more expensive than regular membrane ones so keep that in mind.

Backlit keyboards are cool but are not really necessary. I rarely look at the keyboard when typing/gaming but, in the dark, I find it to be useful every now and then :)

Think about what you need a keyboard to have and which Cherry MX switch you'd like to have and find the best keyboard for you from there!

Hey there,

So I was looking at this keyboard since I found it on sale for 12USD in a shop near me...

Any ideas on how it will feel compared to Cherry/Khail switches?

It apparently uses scissor-type swtiches similar to those used on laptops...

scissor-type? used on laptops? sounds like clicky and flat, i wouldnt recommend it though. your risk...

btw i think i remember dragonwar somewhere

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

scissor-type? used on laptops? sounds like clicky and flat, i wouldnt recommend it though. your risk...

btw i think i remember dragonwar somewhere

I'll be buying if I have cash leftover from an HDD purchase (in 2 months hopefully)...

It's either this or the cheapest backlit mechanical keyboard since I'm starting to hate my A4Tech Natural A...

I'll be buying if I have cash leftover from an HDD purchase (in 2 months hopefully)...

It's either this or the cheapest backlit mechanical keyboard since I'm starting to hate my A4Tech Natural A...

Just try and buy TT eSports POSEIDON, for me its cheap and good. not that i have any exp with mech keyb.(im still using logitech classic k100) but ive tried it in a shop and it felt good.

If your really desperate and really hate your current keyboard give dragonwar a try. its only 12 bucks after all

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Just try and buy TT eSports POSEIDON, for me its cheap and good. not that i have any exp with mech keyb.(im still using logitech classic k100) but ive tried it in a shop and it felt good.

If your really desperate and really hate your current keyboard give dragonwar a try. its only 12 bucks after all

There's also this bundle... Approx 150USD for everything... Too bad I don't have the means to pay and their delivery service requires the recipient to be at the receiving address...

There's also this bundle... Approx 150USD for everything... Too bad I don't have the means to pay and their delivery service requires the recipient to be at the receiving address...

DEAR GOD

steelseries-3597-409921-3-zoom.jpg

Thats what i call COMPACT, Steelseries is usually big and expensive this is not a common thing to find. But there must be a con to this. yep, the keyboard is a rubber dome. but its your choice.

dragonwar = pc-size laptop keyboard

steelseries bundle = compact, but rubber dome

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

DEAR GOD

-AN ABOMINATION I HAVEN'T NOTICED-

Thats what i call COMPACT, Steelseries is usually big and expensive this is not a common thing to find. But there must be a con to this. yep, the keyboard is a rubber dome. but its your choice.

dragonwar = pc-size laptop keyboard

steelseries bundle = compact, but rubber dome

That might've been a bad call if you haven't pointed it out for me...

Hopefully I'll have some cash leftover to get that dragonwar keyboard...

Any suggestions for a really cheap mechanical? I don't care about macros, and the only thing I require is at least 8-key rollover...

That might've been a bad call if you haven't pointed it out for me...

Hopefully I'll have some cash leftover to get that dragonwar keyboard...

Any suggestions for a really cheap mechanical? I don't care about macros, and the only thing I require is at least 8-key rollover...

try tt esports POSEIDON, god i will never forget the day i tried that baby and cheap to... well budget-friendly not cheap. anything good isnt cheap anyways. go temporary on your dragonwar then save up for some DUCKY SHINE 3 god of mech. for me, or save up and preorder CORSAIR k70 RGB!!! dem multicolors

Cheapest keyboard i can find on my ridiculously large retailer is:

• KEYCOOL 87 Black [Kailh Brown Switch] which costs 74.99 USD

But i dont think it has 8key rollover whatsoever. :P

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

try tt esports POSEIDON, god i will never forget the day i tried that baby and cheap to... well budget-friendly not cheap. anything good isnt cheap anyways. go temporary on your dragonwar then save up for some DUCKY SHINE 3 god of mech. for me, or save up and preorder CORSAIR k70 RGB!!! dem multicolors

Cheapest keyboard i can find on my ridiculously large retailer is:

• KEYCOOL 87 Black [Kailh Brown Switch] which costs 74.99 USD

But i dont think it has 8key rollover whatsoever. :P

I've seen Poseidons around at some local shops... Might get one of those not anytime soon...

Scissor switches feel exactly like membranes, they are just in a chiclet form factor.

Scissor switches feel exactly like membranes, they are just in a chiclet form factor.

I'm using a scissor switch keyboard right now (on my emachines D732Z)... They at least feel better than A4Tech's Natural A... I also have access to a friend's Razer BlackWidow (2012?) with Cherry Blues... I'm not a fan of the blue switches at this point...

btw, I've also got an old Dell membrane keyboard and it's too hard to press, and the activation is around full depression... The travel of the keys is also too far (and may have caused some RSI when I was using it for gaming)...

If you are to get a Poseidon, don't get a Poseidon Z. I wouldn't recommend getting one at all as their PCB and microcontroller are terrible. Which means there may end up being ghosting, non functioning keys, dead LED's and tons of other problems. The cheapest boards I could recommend are  the CM Storm boards.

Mechanical keyboards are all about how you feel using them.

Some people hate it, even the Red switches that are non-tactical and silente, so you really gotta try it.

If I were you, I'd try to use them before buying or see if you are able to buy it and returning it if you end up not liking it...

If you need the whole bundle, I would definitely advise you to save up some money and get good stuff separately.

I think the Razer BlackWidow is overpriced. If you need macros and like backlit keyboards, I'd say get the Logitech G710+ with Brown switches (my prefered Cherry MX swichtes);

The Siberia V2 is a good headset, but there are many options in different price ranges, open, closed, wireless, surround, many different options you gotta think about;

I love SteelSeries's Qck mousepad, totally recommend it. I have mine for over 1 year and it's only starting to peel off now. For what, 10$? Amazing;

The only thing that matters for me in a mouse is the ergonomics and how well it fits my hand. For me, the most comfortable is the Razer Deathadder/Mamba.

Good luck!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

"You see, one can only be angry with those he respects." - R. Nixon

Mechanical keyboards are all about how you feel using them.

Some people hate it, even the Red switches that are non-tactical and silente, so you really gotta try it.

If I were you, I'd try to use them before buying or see if you are able to buy it and returning it if you end up not liking it...

If you need the whole bundle, I would definitely advise you to save up some money and get good stuff separately.

I think the Razer BlackWidow is overpriced. If you need macros and like backlit keyboards, I'd say get the Logitech G710+ with Brown switches (my prefered Cherry MX swichtes);

The Siberia V2 is a good headset, but there are many options in different price ranges, open, closed, wireless, surround, many different options you gotta think about;

I love SteelSeries's Qck mousepad, totally recommend it. I have mine for over 1 year and it's only starting to peel off now. For what, 10$? Amazing;

The only thing that matters for me in a mouse is the ergonomics and how well it fits my hand. For me, the most comfortable is the Razer Deathadder/Mamba.

Good luck!

I love razer, problem is most of them are Overpriced.

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

I love razer, problem is most of them are Overpriced.

I would buy the BlackWidow if it had different Cherry MX switches. Many Razer mice are good, for different purposes too.

But, as you said, they are usually overpriced because of hype/fashion.

I would never buy a Headset from them, though... they are really bad once you compare it with Audio Technica, Sennheiser or even brands like Corsair and SteelSeries that are not specialized in sound systems.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 MARK 1 | Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866MHz | GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 4GB Windforce

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO | PSU: CM Silent Pro 720W | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Headset: Corsair Vengeance 2100 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Razer DeathAdder Chroma

-snip-

Good luck!

As for the switches, any differences between them? I've got my eyes on a TT ESports Meka with black cherry switches right now... Not sure if it's backlit, but backlighting is optional in my case since I've got a good desk lamp...

There are many mechanical keyboards out there. Most of them use the Cherry MX switches so they are all good and somewhat share the same quality.

However, some keyboards have a better quality plastic for their keycaps(the thing you touch with your fingers when you type, I think the word would be keys or keycaps, not sure), some have a better paint/sticker for the letters/numbers/symbols, etc.

Now, as for the switches, at least the Cherry MX', they have different colors to indicate how they behave. This is a great explanation for how each color behave when pressed. Basically it's like this:

Blacks make no sound and you cannot feel when the key is pressed;

Reds are like the blacks, except they are "lighter" so you don't have to apply so much force so that the key is pressed;

Browns (my favourites) are tactical but make no sound. You can feel when the key is pressed but you won't hear it (a lot);

Blues (from the BlackWidow) are tactical and make a sound when pressed. IMO they are really good but when you need to type at 3am they can be quite annoying;

There are other colors but I have never seen any of them live, only the ones I just told you about. Any switch will be louder than the regular membrane ones because of how they work but, once you feel it, get used to it and like it, it's really hard to go back.

Each color has its "best" usage. They say Blacks and Reds are the best for typing, Blues are the best for high response from your senses so you know when the key is pressed, etc... For me, that's all kind of BS because it really depends on what you feel. I know people that hate my Browns or Blues because they don't like to feel when the key is pressed. I, however, like very much the feeling.

If you can, try to experiment with all of the keys before deciding which one you want. If you can't, try to imagine how it feels and go with it! There are many videos on youtube about this, so I hope you will be pleased with your choice! Unfortunately, mechanical keyboards are more expensive than regular membrane ones so keep that in mind.

Backlit keyboards are cool but are not really necessary. I rarely look at the keyboard when typing/gaming but, in the dark, I find it to be useful every now and then :)

Think about what you need a keyboard to have and which Cherry MX switch you'd like to have and find the best keyboard for you from there!

-snip-

Thanks for the info...

I might look into black switches since I usually type in the evening...