Why does it sound like all american isp's are so shit?

samosnik

I only hear people complaining about there bandwhit cap. Not reaching the speed that they pay for. Etc.

Is that true?

i7-4770k,EVGA GTX 780, 16Gb Ram, Corsair H100i, Corsair 750D, Asus z87 Pro, 120Gb Samsung SSD, 3TB Western digital x2 and corsair rm1000

Well I have no bandwidth cap that I've been able to reach, though I don't always get my rated speeds. That's not really the fault of the ISP though, I'm on the very end of the line for my ISP and they can't push my rated speed out here most of the time.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

funny enough

i live in a country that has one ISP and its doing its best to be the best

first country to have FTTH

internet with no caps

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I have no data cap, however The bandwidth that I have access to is far less than acceptable for todays day and age, and costs significantly more than it should. I am in a metro area, not even remotely close to being considered "rural".

The plan I'm currently on (Through TWC) is 15/2, and it runs me $80/month for internet alone. Fortunately, I am early in the line from the node, so I reliably get in excess of 95% of my rated bandwidth, both up and down. I occasionally have issues with ping, packet loss, and jitter, but it's not anything that I can't overlook. Aside from a plan from TWC that jumps up to $200/month (100/25), this is the single best plan available to me.

Outside of TWC, the only connection I have available to me is through AT&T, DSL running at 6/.75 (yes, as in NOT a full Mb upload), and runs about $50/month, for internet alone.

Needless to say, i'm completely unsatisfied with my options.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

why the hell are there bandwith caps in the us? here in the netherlands we can use as much as we want at the speed that we pay for

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

funny enough

and internet with no caps

I need to get off the grid apparently. Telstra/Bigpond (here) sucks for tech support etc. Internet service is 'alright', I mean Australia's generally pretty stinky balls in that regard. Finding out I could get to a 10Mbps download speed by getting an ethernet connection was like the happiest day of my life. 

3719512001.png

3719522508.png (not US)

And I pay 10 EUR/month for this, HD TV and a phone.

<3

American ISPs are so greedy they actually are funny and make you mad at the same time.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

funny enough

internet with no caps

where is this, sounds to good to be true.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Living in Sydney and still get this shit, American companies seems greedy and evil but at least most of them deliver half decent speeds unlike the poop we get here. 

3719540016.png

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

It' strange actually, I constantly only seem to  hear of bad experiences with american ISP's. Never really understood why until now, amazing what you learn on the internet :P Thought to be fair it's not much better here in Britain;

last Christmas our telephone line got ripped down by a tree, I think it was on Dec 18th and they refused to come out and fix it until the 22nd... It didn't get repaired until Jan 11th.... And about 2 months ago the line got ripped down again, this time damaging the pole, they refused to put down a temporary line due to "safety risks", even though it was going to pass through our land anyway, took them 2 weeks to fix that too. Not to mention the constant "repairs" that knock us off for days in a row, and most Customer Service lines are based in India where English is a commodity and all they tell you to do is reset the box... Even though the line ceased to exist..

(Side note)

Not being racist, it's not their fault it's the Company's for hiring unskilled -(Cheap)- labour.  

Anyway, rant over :P

P.S.

2.5mbps download - 0.5mbps upload :P (on a good day)

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

In America they all are; I pay for 200Mb/s get 50Mb/s and I also pay for 10Mb/s Up get closer to 2Mb/s up xD I plan on moving to the nearest city that has Google Fiber the second I get the chance.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

The industry is monopolized by a few companies like ComCast that rule the industry and in a lack of competition they can do what ever they want.

This guy knows!

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I don't live in America but even in my country one ISP holds the majority of the infrastructure and by that they actually hold 85% of the fiber infrastructure. But fiber isn't everywhere and they are not in a hurry to provide fiber to new places. BUT the other companies that want to deliver fiber to every can't because of this giant monopoly and a stupid law that says they can't have their own infrastructure if there is already one laid.

This monopoly is suppose to give other companies their infrastructure at a fair price but they don't give them shit. That's why fiber is too expensive, not everyone even has it and there are data caps on EVERY connection. This asshole company constantly lowers the internet speed it gives while increasing the price.

In a capitalistic economy ISPs are always going to be evil.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

One theory some ISP have caps are to attempt keeping their customers on a cableTV leash.   COX for example, they offer Internet and Cable TV.  Alot of people are nowadays not wanting to pay for Cable TV.  Instead they choose to purchase just the internet plan.  It is alot cheaper...

but COX puts caps on their internet plans.  If you pay for 25Mbps you have a cap of 250GB per month (different speed plans have different cap).  If you download or stream alot of media then you could exceed that cap pretty easily.  Especially if you have multiple TVs streaming netflix movies.  

I think COX puts those caps in place to keep people from cutting the cable TV subscription.  That is my theory anyway.

I don't complain about my plan because I've been brainwashed into thinking it is normal to pay nearly $200 USD a month for COX 150Mbps (450GB month cap) and their premium cable TV subscription.  Thats normal right?  I can't wait for fiber.  I wonder how they will screw us over then.

3719522508.png (not US)

<3

American ISPs are so greedy they actually are funny and make you mad at the same time.

:o What...  10 EUR?! Lucky! I pay £45 a month just for the line rental, broadband and a home phone in the UK.

3720346363.png

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

isnt that bad for me in aus..

3721610435.png

Yes Yes Legalize Gay Marriage sure, but have you ever considered Weaponizing Gay?

CPU: I5 4690 3.5ghz || MOBO: MSI B85-G43 Gaming Board || RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro - Red || GPU: Gainward GTX770 Phantom 4gb || PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W Gold || Case: Thermaltake Urban T31 || SSD: Corsair Force 120GB || HDD: 1TB WD Black

I need to get off the grid apparently. Telstra/Bigpond (here) sucks for tech support etc. Internet service is 'alright', I mean Australia's generally pretty stinky balls in that regard. Finding out I could get to a 10Mbps download speed by getting an ethernet connection was like the happiest day of my life. 

3719512001.png

3721656031.png

EDIT: I pay 19,99€/month

Lord Pantaloons, on 30 Nov 2014 - 7:32 PM, said: If Lawrence leaves his house and travels at a constant 40 MPH. How long will it take Bill from next door to shove a banana up his mom's rectum?

FX-6300Gigabyte R9 270X 4 GB OCWD Blue 1 TBCorsair Carbide 300RArctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev. 2Silverstone Strider Essential 500WAsus M5A97 R2.0Dell P2314HYamaha HTR-5740Mordaunt-Short Avant 309iSuperlux HD-668 BCooler Master CM Storm Quickfire UltimateGigabyte M6900Oneplus One 64 GB

I feel like I get an ok deal. I pay $45/month for 20mb/s down and 2mb/s up.

3724113040.png

My Build | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z170 S ATX LGA1151  | Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4-2400 Memory | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB & 250GB, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM, HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB 7200RPM | Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB 100 Million Edition | Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Green) | Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) 

... http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3725824875

This is the one that I was auto placed on...

This is the one closet to my house...

3725828462.png

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

3719522508.png (not US)

<3

Yeah but

"Location ... Romania"

Well in my vacation home Comcast rules the entire city so they can give you the worst quality possible, which they do. Only way I can watch youtube videos or game is with an ethernet cable plugged into my laptop.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.