CM Storm Novatouch TKL...an introduction

GamerDude

Hi guys, this is not a review per se, more like an introduction to Cooler Master Storm Novatouch TKL (Tenkeyless) keyboard. Before I get started, I'd like to post some pics of what the retail box look like and accompanying accessories.

The box has a premium feel, solid with magnets on the flip lid to keep the box shut when closed

20140826_150354_zpse5e9d8b6.jpg

The keyboard's well protected within the box with thick foam surrounding it to prevent possible damage should one drop the box. There's a foam piece that covers the keyboard for added protection, obviously I've removed it to take this pic

20140826_150507_zpsad130c80.jpg

Bundled accessories is almost minimal, a wire key cap puller (the best kind in my opinion), a pack of orings, a simple instruction manual and a braided cable with a right-angle plug. It doesn't use a mini USB jack, instead, it uses a micro USB jack much like those found on Android phones. I don't know if this is a good thing though, I much rather prefer the usual mini USB jack which looks sturdier.

20140826_150621_zpsae7304c3.jpg

Now, the jaded among you might say, "Ah hell, it's just another keyboard, just like any other!" It's the proverbial 'what's under the hood' that sets the other regular Cherry keyboards. It doesn't come with Cherry MX switches, rather, it comes with Topre 'switch' which has a different feel from the easily available Cherry MX switches and *ugh* Razer/Kailh switches. Usually, Topre keyboards carry a higher pricetag and are not bought by many simply because of this. Plus, Topre key caps, usually PBT's, are pretty pricey and are limited in range. CM wants to change this with the introduction of the Novatouch TKL which uses a hybrid Topre 'stem' that is able to accommodate Cherry key caps.

20140826_150807_zpse201c6f1.jpg

Look at the close up pic below, usually, Topre 'stems' do not have that 'X' or cross (Cherry stem) in the center, hence you are limited to only Topre key caps. CM's hybrid 'stems' have this 'X' or cross in the center to enable Cherry key caps to be used.

20140826_150757_zpseeabfc9b.jpg

A pic to show the rear micro USB port and the braided cable with the angled plug.....as I'd said before, I don't quite like this and prefer the regular mini USB port and jack instead. The braided cable is rather stiff adding to my dislike of it, I'll probably get a set of custom micro USB cable when they become available.

20140826_151323_zps4ddee1b8.jpg

Now, what does this bring to budding keyboard enthusiasts here, and elsewhere? As I'd said, most lay off Topre keyboards simply because they are pricey, usually easily about mid 200USD each, with the Leopold FC660C and Topre Type Heaven being lower than 200USD. Again, some aren't keen to buy Topre keyboards due to price, and lack of customization since there are limited range of Topre key caps and did I mention they aren't cheap!

Some may question the hoopla over this hybrid Topre stems, but for keyboard enthusiasts, and wannabes like me, it opens up a whole world or personal customization with Cherry keycaps that would otherwise be impossible with just Topre stems. For example, I took a spare set of Cherry keycaps, a Cherry MX Miami key set I happen to have, and put them on the Novatouch to set it apart from others with the Novatouch.

20140828_082747_zps93d40718.jpg

I shall now talk about the feel of typing with this keyboard, I can't say much as I'm still getting a feel for this keyboard. Suffice to say it has that Topre 'experience' best described as 'typing on a cloud of boobs'. ;)  The feel is smoother than any Cherry switch, certainly smoother than a Cherry MX Red switch which feels gritty compared to a Topre. Even at 45 grams, one doesn't make the kind of typos typical on a 45 gram Cherry Red keyboard. The reason behind this is that Topre uses a rubber dome, when depressed, this dome offers some resistance (unlike Cherry Red which offers hardly any resistance) this initial resistance on the Topre gives way or collapses almost immediately, but the initial resistance offered by the dome ensures that one is less likely to make a typo. I can certainly type better with my Topre keyboards when compared with Cherry MX keyboards with the same weigh. One thing though, the rebound on this board has a slightly higher pitch 'ping' compared to my Leopold FC660C but it's nothing I'd be concerned about. Perhaps it's the stock key caps.....certainly sounds a tad different with the Miami keycaps I have installed on the board.

The Novatouch isn't perfect though, or perhaps the one I'd gotten is somewhat....imperfect. If you look at the pics I'd posted, especially the one with the close up of the Topre 'stem', do note that the black palette on the key caps is all over the place! They don't seem to be consistent but under normal lighting, they look perfectly fine. Mine also has a slight blemish on the left lower corner (pic below), perhaps due to an air bubble during the process when the case was layered with a UV coating. Till now, I'm not sure this UV coating is a kind of rubberized coat, like on my Quickfire TKL, or something else.

20140828_083311_zpsf12931df.jpg

Some have complained that the Novatouch's shipped with cheap'ish keycaps, and from my experience, I can't say that it isn't true. A CM rep in GH said that having better keycaps would raise the price of the keyboard, CM is keeping it at 200USD or lower, and would defeat the intent of the hybrid Topre stems which would allow for customization. Their rationale is, those who buy this keyboard would want to change the key caps anyway, so cheap'ish stock key caps isn't an issue.....I'd have to admit that I agree with this. I'd rather use my customized key caps on this hybrid Topre keyboard simply because I can.

Again, this isn't a review, I'm not savvy enough with the technical terms nor do I claim to be a keyboard expert in any way, shape or form....if I'd made any mistake, do let me know as I'm always keen to learn. Thank you for your kind perusal and I do hope my intro to the Novatouch has helped you with your keyboard purchase decisions.

Edit - I forgot to mention this, although it has a hybrid Topre stem that allows for Cherry keycaps to be used, original Topre keycaps CANNOT be used. So, should you have Topre keycaps and want to use them on the Novatouch.....DON'T!!!

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Hmmm Typing on a cloud of boobs.....

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

your keycaps are pretty awesome.  err, the replacement ones, not those original ones that were all sorts of different shades of black/blueish.  

hopefully you update this with a real review soon.  i was looking into the keyboard and shied away from it due to the different keys, rather than the price difference.  i use cherry reds, so i'm esp. curious about how those topres work out for you.

Did you get this when CM messed up and accidentally put this up? I can't find it anywhere. And I really want one.

Topre keycaps are expensive though. I really wanted yellow keycaps, so I bought a set that cost the same amount as my board.

I like yellow...

Around half my boards are yellow...

That is over $5,000 of yellow...

HELP ME

Did you get this when CM messed up and accidentally put this up? I can't find it anywhere. And I really want one.

Topre keycaps are expensive though. I really wanted yellow keycaps, so I bought a set that cost the same amount as my board.

I like yellow...

Around half my boards are yellow...

That is over $5,000 of yellow...

HELP ME

Nope, the Novatouch is available in Asia, easily available now actually as quite a few shops in the tech mall I go to have it. I'd gotten a set of yellow and a set of blue Topre key caps from a local forum, I could have gotten a Topre keyboard for the price I'd paid for them.

I'd edited my first post to add that Topre key caps CANNOT be used on the Novatouch.....

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

That's wayyy to expensive. I'd only accept that type of keycap quality at a much lower price point. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a solid board. Tenkeyless are really starting to get a good hold on the market.

That's wayyy to expensive. I'd only accept that type of keycap quality at a much lower price point. 

Well, one has to take into account that there isn't any cheap Topre keybaord in the first place. just take the Leopold FC660C for example, elitekeyboards has it for about 190USD. The cheapest, Topre Type Heaven, is retailing at about 130USD, the price of most standard good brand keyboards like Ducky. So, a Topre TKL like the Novatouch with its hybrid Cherry/Topre stem that's retailing for about 200USD isn't surprising....at all. It's Topre, NOT Cherry MX after all.

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a solid board. Tenkeyless are really starting to get a good hold on the market.

Yeah, I'm a fan of 60% boards now, but there's something about this TKL being a Topre board with the ability to use Cherry key caps that's simply irresistible to me.....thinking of getting another actually.

Well, one has to take into account that there isn't any cheap Topre keybaord in the first place. just take the Leopold FC660C for example, elitekeyboards has it for about 190USD. The cheapest, Topre Type Heaven, is retailing at about 130USD, the price of most standard good brand keyboards like Ducky. So, a Topre TKL like the Novatouch with its hybrid Cherry/Topre stem that's retailing for about 200USD isn't surprising....at all. It's Topre, NOT Cherry MX after all.

Yeah, I'm a fan of 60% boards now, but there's something about this TKL being a Topre board with the ability to use Cherry key caps that's simply irresistible to me.....thinking of getting another actually.

Another one? Is Topre really that good?? I want to get a Tenkeyless as my next purchase, but i've never tried a Topre..

Another one? Is Topre really that good?? I want to get a Tenkeyless as my next purchase, but i've never tried a Topre..

I've always love Topre, I have a Realforce 103UB 55G, Topre Type Heaven, two HHKB Pro 2's, a Leopold FC660C....and now this Novatouch. The reason why I'm thinking of getting a second Novatouch is due to the Bumble Bee key set I'd just ordered, it'd look so good on this board....but then, the Miami ket set looks great too. So, why mess with a good thing? I'll wait for the key set to arrive before buying another, hopefully, the price would stabilized by then.

BTW, I've found out some other features of the Novatouch, some of these features that weren't available on Topre boards before. It supports NKRO, media keys, and Win lock key......features that don't mean that much to me, not sure how others would feel about them though.

The PCB and stems are made in Japan, but the keyboard is assembled in China.....perhaps that explains why it's more costly than expected, the PCB and stems being made in Japan ensures a certain amount of quality, and that's important on any board especially Topre (since it cost more than Cherry...with exception of those custom Korean jobs and the like). It is available in 45G only though rumor has it that CM is considering a 55G version (that'd be perfect!), as an owner of a 55G Realforce, it's the perfect weight for Topre.

There are some negatives to be aware of:

No Cap Lock Scroll Lock indicators, these should be standard but not on the Novatouch

Use of ABS key caps that look cheap, there have been some disagreement/debate over the use of cheap'ish ABD key caps. Some have said that for a product retailing at about 200USD, PBT key caps should have been used. Others have said that peeps who buy the Novatouch are keen on two of its forte, that is, it's a Topre board and can use regular Cherry key caps. IF CM had decided on ABS key caps to keep cost down since their rationale is that we'd be using our own key caps anyway, then I'm all for it. Heck, I'd almost immediately replaced the stock key caps with my Miami set, and have just ordered a Bumble Bee set.....which may very well mean I'd most likely get a second Novatouch.

I've always love Topre, I have a Realforce 103UB 55G, Topre Type Heaven, two HHKB Pro 2's, a Leopold FC660C....and now this Novatouch. The reason why I'm thinking of getting a second Novatouch is due to the Bumble Bee key set I'd just ordered, it'd look so good on this board....but then, the Miami ket set looks great too. So, why mess with a good thing? I'll wait for the key set to arrive before buying another, hopefully, the price would stabilized by then.

I love the bumblebee set. It is my favorite keycap set. I own 8 of them, I have them on only 3 boards though. :P