AMD announces latest step to help mature HSA; partners with Microsoft

nicehat

amd-a-series-processor.png

A step to mature HSA has come.

AMD announced a collaboration with Microsoft to release C++ AMP version 1.2 - an open source C++ compiler. Version 1.2 will be available to both Linux and Windows for the first time. 

The tool accelerates productivity and ease of use for developers trying to harness the full power of HSA on everything from servers, PCs and handhelds. 

C++ AMP version 1.2 enables C++ developers to accelerate applications across a broad set of hardware and software configurations by supporting three outputs:

x.gif -- Khronos Group OpenCL(1), supporting AMD CPU/APU/GPU, Intel CPU/APU,
NVIDIA GPU, Apple Mac OS X and other OpenCL compliant platforms;
-- Khronos Group SPIR, supporting AMD CPU/APU/GPU, Intel CPU/APU and
future SPIR compliant platforms; and
-- HSA Foundation HSAIL, supporting AMD APU and future HSA compliant
platforms.

Key in the 1.2 release is the support for shared physical memory between the CPU and GPU on HSA platforms. Now programmers will be able to harness the benefits of minimized overhead of data re-directs

AMD Announces Heterogeneous C++ AMP Language for Developers

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

sounds like AMD is doing it so they can be optimized for it first

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

well im happy about this.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Good guy AMD, letting the entire industry utilize this, including any openCL 2.0 device, Nvidia GPUs and even Intel iGPUs.

For once, something in computing is done right. 

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Well someone has to get the ball rolling... Who better than AMD themselves

CPU AMD FX 8350 @5GHz. Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula Z. RAM 8GB G.Skill Sniper. GPU Reference Sapphire Radeon R9 290X. Case Fractal Design Define XL R2. Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD and 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K. PSU XFX 850BEFX Pro 850W 80+ Gold. Cooler XSPC RayStorm

Good guy AMD, letting the entire industry utilise this, including any openCL 2.0 device, Nvidia GPUs and even Intel iGPUs.

For once?  FOR ONCE? this is 2014. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

For once?  FOR ONCE? this is 2014. 

Show me a recent example of competing manufacturers in the microarchitecture business making an API/compiler/code available to everyone.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Show me a recent example of competing manufacturers in the microarchitecture business making an API/compiler/code available to everyone.

You said "computing" as in generalized. 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

You said "computing" as in generalized. 

Computing - noun : The use of a computer to process data or perform calculations.

I wasn't generalizing. At a basic level, HSA help perform calculations faster and process data faster. 

This is really exciting. I hope HSA will have a big breakthrough soon on pc.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

This goods great, I hope HSA gets the support it deserves.  

Yawn, Clang/LLVM has been caught up on HSA since it began, and it's a stronger compiler than Microsoft provides in Visual Studio.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Much like Mantle yes. However I can't fault them for that: They desperately need to innovate somehow if they (obviously) can't compete on raw power vs intel.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yawn, Clang/LLVM has been caught up on HSA since it began, and it's a stronger compiler than Microsoft provides in Visual Studio.

Agreed. I fucking love Clang and LLVM.

Although I find it strange that you like software that is largely developed by Apple these days. (;))

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Agreed. I fucking love Clang and LLVM.

Although I find it strange that you like software that is largely developed by Apple these days. (;))

PFFFT!!! Lies!!! Yes, Apple builds Coco into the version it runs on XCode, but all sorts of people contribute to it including AMD, the GNU software devs, Bell Labs, and many more.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Much like Mantle yes. However I can't fault them for that: They desperately need to innovate somehow if they (obviously) can't compete on raw power vs intel.

And yet they're stupid enough to give their edge away (giving Mantle to Kronos).

And yet they're stupid enough to give their edge away (giving Mantle to Kronos).

Giving Kronos access was the final nail. Who gives a shit about having to code for Mantle when Kronos will shove it into OpenEVERYTHING. 

Kronos can just turn around, say "Hey Intel, Nvidia, lets have fun" and AMD will be left at the starting blocks as usual. 

Giving Kronos access was the final nail. Who gives a shit about having to code for Mantle when Kronos will shove it into OpenEVERYTHING. 

Kronos can just turn around, say "Hey Intel, Nvidia, lets have fun" and AMD will be left at the starting blocks as usual. 

i doubt they be pricks to ever do that as I'm sure that is illegal under anti competition and amd can see everything they do to the source code. Plus what was the other option for mantle, stay closed and not be able to be adopted.

I'm sure amd does get something out. Which is having their cpu sell more b/c the new api would lead to programs being less cpu bound meaning people would not need really strong cpus thus since amd is pretty strong in the lower cpu market more people will find amd cpu more attractive.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

AMD needs this maturity to happen to sell its APUs. Now whats the best way to mature this tech? Keep it gated in? Or make it standard? nVidia has nothing to do with HSA. They will be locked out of this market, while AMD gets the jump on intel, just like they did with the 64 bit standard. That's AMDs hail mary. If it doesnt work, they are screwed. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Good guy AMD, letting the entire industry utilise this.

Well, this is basicly what AMD is doing since they bought ATI :) (eg. Freesync, Crossfire)

My Rig "Jenova" Ryzen 7 3900X with EK Supremacy Elite, RTX3090 with EK Fullcover Acetal + Nickel & EK Backplate, Corsair AX1200i (sleeved), ASUS X570-E, 4x 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3800MHz 16CL, 500gb Samsung 980 Pro, Raijintek Paean

AMD needs this maturity to happen to sell its APUs. Now whats the best way to mature this tech? Keep it gated in? Or make it standard? nVidia has nothing to do with HSA. They will be locked out of this market, while AMD gets the jump on intel, just like they did with the 64 bit standard. That's AMDs hail mary. If it doesnt work, they are screwed. 

You do realize how close MS works with Nvidia and Intel on GPU solutions, right? HSA will be in Nvidias warchest soon enough. Guess who works with Kronos? Nvidia, Intel and pretty much every heavy hitter in the industry. Kronos will let this loose soon enough and EVERY SINGLE MEMBER will get a great look at it. 

AMD isn't getting a jump on anyone. Intel has been moving towards this for ages, AMD can barely make TDP competitive chips anymore because they blew so much on overpaying for ATI. AMD made all the wrong decisions when they held the lead, and Intel isn't going to give it back to them. 

Good guy AMD, letting the entire industry utilize this, including any openCL 2.0 device, Nvidia GPUs and even Intel iGPUs.

Implying it would have become anything if they didn't?