Windows 8.1 Users could get Windows 9 for free (price leaked)

EDIT: its a repost, and i would feel bad but at least i made a comment on the topic and put all my feels into it :(

"WZOR is well known for leaking information about Microsoft products long before their official release" and apparently there is potential for users of 8.1 to get either a free upgrade to windows 9 or an upgrade for as little as $20.   I'll jump on it right away anyways. I've always been an early adopter and honestly never been upset about that. He also mentions something about windows XP users getting a so called "awesome deal"

They also mention this could be to counter Apples approach of very cheap or free upgrades to OSX.

Some Windows 9 pricing has leaked out. WZOR has reported that Windows 9 will either come free or cost $20 for Windows 8.1 users. Microsoft will also have an “awesome offer” for Windows XP users. Another tidbit is that the Enterprise Windows 9 is completely Metro free.

The move mirrors Apple’s OSX which also has very cheap or free upgrades for OSX. Apple however, makes a significant part of their profit from hardware. Microsoft relies mostly on software sales, so ensuring consumers don’t get too used to cheap upgrades is crucial.

Cheap Windows upgrade offers aren’t unprecedented however. Windows 8 launched with a $40 upgrade offer in order to entice users. Microsoft is likely looking to do the same to encourage Windows 9 adoption. The strategy wasn’t too successful with Windows 8.

More details about pricing and the “awesome deal” will likely emerge on September 30th.

Windows 9 Enterprise has no Metro interface, upgrade to Windows 9 free or $20
Posted at 26 August 2014 14:19 CEST by Jan Willem Aldershoff

The Enterprise version of Windows 9 will come without the Metro interface, according to the well known Russian Microsoft leaker WZOR. The leaker also reveals that Windows 9 RT is in the works and that Windows 8.1 users can take advantage of a special offer to obtain Windows 9.

550x309xmyce-windows8.1-start-menu.jpg.p

WZOR is well known for leaking information about Microsoft products long before their official release. Today the Russian group or individual that goes by the name WZOR has leaked several pieces of information on Windows 9.

WZOR starts with information that a special build of Windows 9 Enterprise (Technical Preview) has been released to testers and that Microsoft won’t make a test version of Windows 9 Pro OEM available. Also a test version of Windows 9 RT has been created but it will only run on Microsoft’s Surface 3.

Windows 8.1 users might receive either free access to Windows 9 or get a special offer to upgrade, WZOR also adds that users who bought a retail or OEM version of Windows 8 will be eligible for an upgrade to Windows 9 for around $20. Microsoft is also still struggling with large number of users that’s still on Windows XP. The company has ended support for the OS and wants users to upgrade to one of its newer Windows versions. According to WZOR, Microsoft will have an “awesome” offer for Windows XP users to switch to Windows 9.

Windows 9 will also support 3D mode Ultra HD TVs and it allows for backing up and restoring data to the cloud.

Another interesting feature WZOR mention is that Microsoft is developing a feature that allows to virtualize backups of physical systems in the cloud.

Sources 1,

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Anyone can get OS X Mavericks for free. Oh, and Yosemite too.

#GloriousMasterMacRace

Mircro$oft needs to stop charging $100 plus for new editions of Windows that 99% of peole hate.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

#GloriousMasterMacRace

Mircro$oft needs to stop charging $100 plus for new editions of Windows that 99% of peole hate.

But to get Mavericks for free, don't you have to have Lion or Mountain Lion, both of which were $30?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

if it is for free damn, i wonder how the pirates will feel? will they get it too? or will they need to scour for another hack...this should be interesting.

But to get Mavericks for free, don't you have to have Lion or Mountain Lion, both of which were $30?

still cheaper then windows lol

still cheaper then windows lol

That's not the point, and while not exactly legitimate, you can get Windows for less.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

That's not the point, and while not exactly legitimate, you can get Windows for less

you can get os x less too while not legit everything can be less or free

if it is for free damn, i wonder how the pirates will feel? will they get it too? or will they need to scour for another hack...this should be interesting.

Part of the allure of running pirated versions is the ability to remove all nag screens with constant hardware changes. It's very annoying to have to call Microsoft activation support every time you want to benchmark new hardware, or change out a semi modular rig. Instead of the 5 - 10 minute phone call, you can run an activator script. Just another example of how DRM is a larger burden to legitimate users than it is to pirates.

They likely won't get a free upgrade, but pirated copies wont be far behind.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

Part of the allure of running pirated versions is the ability to remove all nag screens with constant hardware changes. It's very annoying to have to call Microsoft activation support every time you want to benchmark new hardware, or change out a semi modular rig. Instead of the 5 - 10 minute phone call, you can run an activator script. Just another example of how DRM is a larger burden to legitimate users than it is to pirates.

ikr those activition issues are anoyyng after i bought windows  i use an activator it is worth my time to keep calling

Awesome. I am an 8.1 user myself and if they have an 'awesome deal' for XP users then I have an XP key for that deal.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

#GloriousMasterMacRace

To bad we need Windows for our games :(

If the Metro UI come strong in Windows 9, I guess we'll have to start buying the enterprise version for our homes.

Yes, but macs come installed with them. You need at least Snow Leopard, which everyone who is upgrading to Mav has anyway.

And of you have a blank drive, it's easy to make a USB key. You just need another Mac to download it.

Yes, but macs come installed with them. You need at least Snow Leopard, which everyone who is upgrading to Mav has anyway.

And of you have a blank drive, it's easy to make a USB key. You just need another Mac to download it.

Alright.

Mac owner here, just didn't know this myself.

No Metro on Enterprise version ? I would have put this in the Pro version as well. Many enterprises uses the Pro version and not the Enterprise one.

What about win7 users? Yes, support the ones who dont upgrade and tell the ones that do to fuck off xD

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

You guys are going on complaining about how much Microsoft Charges a lot for windows and how Mac OSX is free but like what the OP says Microsoft is mainly a software company and relies on the money they get from that. While Apple on the other hand, gains a crap ton of money from their sales of computers/idevices so they don't need to charge as much for their software

Life.exe is missing

#GloriousMasterMacRace

Yeah, and all you have to do is pay double what the hardware is worth... 

Seriously, while Microsoft does overcharge for Windows, you people saying it should be free because OSX upgrades are free are idiots. Windows is Microsoft's lifeblood, and without revenue from it, they are completely screwed. Just giving it away is stupid. Yet, the second someone mentions making Macs cheaper, you guys go straight on the defense...

Ok, if windows is too much for you, go buy Mac OS... oh wait, you have to pay for expensive hardware for that....

Old shit no one cares about but me.

The point with Apple is that even when they charged you for OSX, they never authenticated it. Ever. They just didn't care. 

The move to free was a formality. I can't recall anyone I know ever paying for the OS. And Apple realized that they don't, and thats its cheaper to do yearly incremental updates instead of -4 year gaps for a brand new thing. 

OSXs only downside is the hardware it won't (or can't) support. I think its what, pre 05/06 Macs that can't run Mavericks and Yosemite? Is it even those? 

Ok, if windows is too much for you, go buy Mac OS... oh wait, you have to pay for expensive hardware for that....

"Windows was to expensive so i bought an apple computer instead" - nobodyever 8/27/14

nFobTT6.png

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Problem is Microsoft are a software company, the only way they could give their software away for free is by morphing into a services company, think cloud storage, pay per month license for applications etc. Although they already do this with Office 365 and One Drive (which I think comes with 365 anyway) they'll have to either gut features out to make this work or give really good reasons for people to tie themselves into the Microsoft ecosystem of tablets, phones and computers. The reason Apple can pump out free updates for years is simply they sell hardware, not software. Granted they have some paid services but it's probably a drop in the pond.

Now as usual, the haters are out in to defend their favourite products. Well I don't owe my loyalty to any company so I see the appeal from both sides. Microsoft are not good for gamers, so far they've just hogged the best technology and managed to get devs to tie into Direct X. Apple are not the best on price to performance but you get a slick design, great build quality and fantastic support. I've never owned a Mac but I'm certainly considering it for my next laptop.