Two black spots on projector. Only shows up when out of focus. wat..

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

I figured this was the answer. I just wanted to make sure. Looking at the lens with a magnifying glass (insert Xzibit meme), I see nothing noticeable that could cause it, and the spots are large enough that I'd figure I would be able to see it. 

Thanks. I'm still open to other possible reasons. I don't know how a projector works on the inside, so yeah.

There are tons of lenses on the inside. Looking at the one at the front wont show you anything if one of the ones on the inside has the problem. :(

Hi guys,

So I recently got to purchase (not for myself), an Acer H6501DB. Basically, a native 1080p projector. 

However, when it's on, there are two areas where the image is darker than the rest. When I focus the entire image, they are almost unnoticeable, but not quite there. So everyone notices the spots where the image is slightly different 100% of the time. 

When I overfocus the lens, I can clearly see the black spot (100% black, not transparent at all), which has jagged edges. It's not the digital image and I thought it was pixels, but here's the kicker: Each spot is focused at a different focal setting. As in, if I over focus the lens, I can see one spot. If I under focus it (opposite direction), the other spot is focused (or more than it was, as only 1 spot can be perfectly focused). So for further detail on this, imagine that the focus dial turned all the way left is 100% focus and all the way right is 0% focus. At 50% focus, the entire image is focused correctly. At 35%, one black spot is focused, and at 80%, the other black spot is focused.

This is without touching the screen size dial. However, the only way to get the second black spot to focus at all is to move that dial.

What is my issue? I've heard that it's probably a major imperfection in the lens or the mirror, which is why each focuses at a different setting. If that's so, then I need to RMA it. 

I was just wanting some other input in case this is fixable in some way. Plus I like to learn anyway and Projectors are foreign to me.

Thanks,

Vitalius.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Sounds like an anomaly in one of the lens surfaces, or it could be a bug or some opaque piece of dust or something on a lens. Either way just RMA it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sounds like an anomaly in one of the lens surfaces, or it could be a bug or some opaque piece of dust or something on a lens. Either way just RMA it.

I figured this was the answer. I just wanted to make sure. Looking at the lens with a magnifying glass (insert Xzibit meme), I see nothing noticeable that could cause it, and the spots are large enough that I'd figure I would be able to see it. 

Thanks. I'm still open to other possible reasons. I don't know how a projector works on the inside, so yeah.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

There are tons of lenses on the inside. Looking at the one at the front wont show you anything if one of the ones on the inside has the problem. :(

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Ah, then that sucks. RMA it is then. Thanks a lot. Didn't know that.

† Christian Member †

Ah, then that sucks. RMA it is then. Thanks a lot. Didn't know that.

Yeah sry.

You're welcome :)

Spoiler