New to PC Building, wondering if this system sounds any good.

Hey,

I'm completely new to the forums but I've been watching Linus for a while and decided to come here for some advice.

I have a limit of £600 currently for building a PC and I was wondering if this build is any good for what I'm paying? I'm also a little concerned wether everything will fit in the case I've chosen.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2NKmNG

Any response would be greatly appreciated!!

~3LiTE~

@Official3LiTE

you might want to get an aftermarket cooler for this... OC that cpu a little and you've got yourself a pretty decent system...

A bit unbalanced on the CPU side though but I'm assuming that you won't be doing a lot of streaming/rendering...

It looks a lot like my rig, so if you're courios, i could answer some perforance specs. Other than that the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is to change the SSD to something like a Samsung 840.

Is it a monkey? Is it an ape? I don't care, I LOVE'EM!

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 760K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£57.31 @ Scan.co.uk) 

Motherboard: MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard  (£34.30 @ Ebuyer) 

Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£58.99 @ Amazon UK) 

Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  (£159.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 

Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer  (£11.98 @ Amazon UK) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£72.77 @ Ebuyer) 

Total: £545.47

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-27 21:25 BST+0100

Better build.

Also removed the SSD because it's horrible and you can just upgrade to one later.

@DigitalHermit Any you can recommend? Also do Aftermarket coolers come with Thermal Compound/paste already, or would I have to buy a tube of that too?

r9 280 and fx 8320

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  (£96.40 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£24.98 @ CCL Computers) 
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  (£62.36 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  (£53.98 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card  (£159.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case  (£28.79 @ Aria PC) 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer  (£10.22 @ CCL Computers) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit)  (£71.60 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £613.60
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-27 21:27 BST+0100

@DigitalHermit Any you can recommend? Also do Aftermarket coolers come with Thermal Compound/paste already, or would I have to buy a tube of that too?

They should come with thermal paste

Life.exe is missing

Pretty much all aftermarket coolers come with thermal paste. For a cheap one, I'd say the good ol' Coooler Master 212 EVO.

Also removed the SSD because it's horrible and you can just upgrade to one later.

Linus must hate you

funnylinusmemeaboutssds.jpg

"Nope, said the engineer"

@TeddyMcSwag I had a look and saw that a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD is about £20 extra for another 60GB and is within my budget, so I'll take that in to consideration :3

DeepCool has cheap yet decent offerings if you don't mind the struggle of installing one with the FM2/FM2+ mounting system...

The Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo is also a good choice...

The problem you might encounter would be the RAM clearance for that board seeing that you're using high profile RAM...

Linus must hate you

funnylinusmemeaboutssds.jpg

No but seriously that SSD is horrible. He can upgrade to a better one later.

One important thing: buy WIndows from G2A.com. It's a legit site (I know from personal experience) where you can buy windows keys for 30-40 dollars.

One important thing: buy WIndows from G2A.com. It's a legit site (I know from personal experience) where you can buy windows keys for 30-40 dollars.

The keys on there only last 2-3 years.

@TeddyMcSwag was considering that, I've used G2A for XBLG codes before and it's worked flawlessly so I might do that and save myself a bit of money for something

The keys on there only last 2-3 years.

That's not an issue..

DeepCool has cheap yet decent offerings if you don't mind the struggle of installing one with the FM2/FM2+ mounting system...

The Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo is also a good choice...

The problem you might encounter would be the RAM clearance for that board seeing that you're using high profile RAM...

Any idea on how much of a problem it would be? Or do you just mean it's a tight squeeze?

Also what defines High-Profile RAM? Is it that it's thicker than a normal stick? If so could you recommend a less High-Profile set that would fit the system and run at the same clock speed as the Corsair sticks?

Any idea on how much of a problem it would be? Or do you just mean it's a tight squeeze?

Also what defines High-Profile RAM? Is it that it's thicker than a normal stick? If so could you recommend a less High-Profile set that would fit the system and run at the same clock speed as the Corsair sticks?

High profile RAM is what you have... They usually have tall heat spreaders attached onto them...

What I meant with RAM clearance is that the RAM would hit the heatsink fan or the heatsink itself...

With your Mobo, the ideal configuration would be having the heatsink fan 'pulling' air to the side away from the RAM...

Please ignore the DeepCool suggestion... It won't fit...

High profile RAM is what you have... They usually have tall heat spreaders attached onto them...

What I meant with RAM clearance is that the RAM would hit the heatsink fan or the heatsink itself...

With your Mobo, the ideal configuration would be having the heatsink fan 'pulling' air to the side away from the RAM...

Please ignore the DeepCool suggestion... It won't fit...

Is having it pull air away from the RAM side just to do with orientation, or would there be any extra setup involved with that? Both are fine it's just so I know what to do when I actually build the rig.

Is having it pull air away from the RAM side just to do with orientation, or would there be any extra setup involved with that? Both are fine it's just so I know what to do when I actually build the rig.

You just need to move the fan to the other side... It should be easy enough... Keep in mind that the side with the fan hub (that place where the wires lead to) is where the air is blowing out of...

You just need to move the fan to the other side... It should be easy enough... Keep in mind that the side with the fan hub (that place where the wires lead to) is where the air is blowing out of...

Ahh okay, thanks for the help!

Hey,

I'm completely new to the forums but I've been watching Linus for a while and decided to come here for some advice.

I have a limit of £600 currently for building a PC and I was wondering if this build is any good for what I'm paying? I'm also a little concerned wether everything will fit in the case I've chosen.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2NKmNG

Any response would be greatly appreciated!!

~3LiTE~

If PC Partpicker let you choose that case it will fit. What are you intending to use it for?

If PC Partpicker let you choose that case it will fit. What are you intending to use it for?

Mainly gaming, Recording, Possibly some streaming (although not much), some low-intensity video editing and school work.