Is buying a RM series psu worth it?

Aeonsion

Do you guys think i should buy a Corsair RM 650W psu because of the flat cable and the no-spin mode? For about $15 cheaper, i can get the FSP aurum 92+ pt-650 650w 80+ platinum psu with flat cable but no-spin feature isn't available. Warranty wise, corsair have 5 years while fsp have 7 years. I'm just really interested in the no-spin feature but im afraid i won't be able to use it because of the low wattage psu.

The no spin is great and when you are not gaming or doing anything demanding then the PSU will be silent

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I believe there's a CS650M too. Has no fanless mode, but it's shorter and cheaper.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Do you guys think i should buy a Corsair RM 650W psu because of the flat cable and the no-spin mode? For about $15 cheaper, i can get the FSP aurum 92+ pt-650 650w 80+ platinum psu with flat cable but no-spin feature isn't available. Warranty wise, corsair have 5 years while fsp have 7 years. I'm just really interested in the no-spin feature but im afraid i won't be able to use it because of the low wattage psu.

Hey, Whilst I own this exact PSU, and I'm pretty damn happy with, I wouldn't really recommend it any more. I'd take a good, hard look at the newer EVGA G2 power supply, It has the Zero-RPM mode of the RM series, and has a frankly absurd 10 year warranty on it. The cables aren't flat, but I reckon braided is better, even if it's the lower quality single braid and heatshrink style.

It's also said to be cheaper in the US than the equivalent RM offering, though this doesn't always seem to be the case.

The XFX XTR also has hybrid fan mode. 

The no spin is great and when you are not gaming or doing anything demanding then the PSU will be silent

Yea, that's what im thinking as well but i have a bad habit of leaving my game in the background running..

I believe there's a CS650M too. Has no fanless mode, but it's shorter and cheaper.

Thanks for the suggestion, i'll try and find it in singapore

Hey, Whilst I own this exact PSU, and I'm pretty damn happy with, I wouldn't really recommend it any more. I'd take a good, hard look at the newer EVGA G2 power supply, It has the Zero-RPM mode of the RM series, and has a frankly absurd 10 year warranty on it. The cables aren't flat, but I reckon braided is better, even if it's the lower quality single braid and heatshrink style.

It's also said to be cheaper in the US than the equivalent RM offering, though this doesn't always seem to be the case.

I don't think i can find any evga power supply in singapore..it's quite rare.

The XFX XTR also has hybrid fan mode. 

I don't think i can find this power supply in singapore as well..

Go for it, it will probably last forever lol.

Yea, the 5 years warranty is actually pretty long

If you can provide us a budget as well as a link as to where you are able to buy from, then we should be able to tell you it is "worth it".

http://www.cybermind.com.sg/pdf-upload/pricelists/cybermind.pdf

budget is about $140 USD or $175 SGD

So the RM650 is $169 SGD, while the FSP Aurum Platinum 650w is %159 SGD, correct?

The FSP does uses better caps and is a Platinum unit; however, the RM series is a quieter, fully modular unit that offer better electrical performance. Personally, I would go with the RM between them. A better option would be the Seasonic 650W G-650 / 5yrs for $149. It too is a semi modular PSU that isn't as quiet as the RM Series, but it does offer better internal component and electrical performance than the RM Series. It is also cheaper as well.

A higher-end option would be the Cooler Master V700 for $188, but that would go over your budget by $13 SCG. It's a Seasonic KM3 design with a quiet, high quality FDB fan. It isn't semi-passive like the RM, but the fan isn't spinning loudly at lower loads anyways.

Go for it, it will probably last forever lol.

Jonnyguru disagrees.

I won't say that CapXon's are going to yield much more than 5 years of operation, but when someone like Corsair says to someone like CWT or Chicony, "we need to put a five year warranty on this product", that's part of the consideration they take into building the PSU.

So the RM650 is $169 SGD, while the FSP Aurum Platinum 650w is %159 SGD, correct?

The FSP does uses better caps and is a Platinum unit; however, the RM series is a quieter, fully modular unit that offer better electrical performance. Personally, I would go with the RM between them. A better option would be the Seasonic 650W G-650 / 5yrs for $149. It too is a semi modular PSU that isn't as quiet as the RM Series, but it does offer better internal component and electrical performance than the RM Series. It is also cheaper as well.

A higher-end option would be the Cooler Master V700 for $188, but that would go over your budget by $13 SCG. It's a Seasonic KM3 design with a quiet, high quality FDB fan. It isn't semi-passive like the RM, but the fan isn't spinning loudly at lower loads anyways.

Thank you for your suggestions, i think i will try to get the Cooler Master V700 by saving up more money then.

it looks good, fan doesnt spin unless under load, and it comes with sexy black ribbon cable. love me some ribbon cable. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/