Mixing RAM - The Pros and Cons

Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Using different brands will work 99% of the time, but you always risk instability, BSODs, mem errors, etc...

If you use the same brand and model of ram (with same speed, timings, etc) it will work 99.9999% of the time

If you use a validated quad channel kit, you know for sure it will work 100% because all 4 DIMMs are tested together.

Hey LTT! I'm back after a short summer break to ask some more questions. I've been doing a lot of reading about mixing RAM, and It's hard to pin down (no pun intended) what really is okay to do, and what shouldn't be done. 

Say for example, I want to mix what I currently have (Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866 MHz) with Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @ 1866MHz. The cas 9 and 10 respectively, and the timing is 9-10-9-27 (Vengeance) and 10-11-10-30 (Platinum). What does this mean in regards to mixing the RAM? I'm curious about what cas and timing mean, and if this mixing could be done. 

Thank you!

Pros if you mix different ram brands = it works

Cons if you mix different brands = instability, failure to boot/CTD

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Pros if you mix different ram brands = it works

Cons if you mix different brands = instability, failure to boot/CTD

And it looks bad:D

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

You should always use the exact same ram same brand, speed, and timing.

Using different brands will work 99% of the time, but you always risk instability, BSODs, mem errors, etc...

If you use the same brand and model of ram (with same speed, timings, etc) it will work 99.9999% of the time

If you use a validated quad channel kit, you know for sure it will work 100% because all 4 DIMMs are tested together.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Hey LTT! I'm back after a short summer break to ask some more questions. I've been doing a lot of reading about mixing RAM, and It's hard to pin down (no pun intended) what really is okay to do, and what shouldn't be done. 

Say for example, I want to mix what I currently have (Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 1866 MHz) with Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB @ 1866MHz. The cas 9 and 10 respectively, and the timing is 9-10-9-27 (Vengeance) and 10-11-10-30 (Platinum). What does this mean in regards to mixing the RAM? I'm curious about what cas and timing mean, and if this mixing could be done. 

Thank you!

CAS Latency is the measure of time it takes for RAM to respond to a request. Lower the better. I don't think it would be a good idea to mix those RAMs.