3D-printed 'bump keys' are a tech-savvy lockpicker's best friend

Dietrichw

Source

3dbumpkey.jpg

We've all locked ourselves out of our homes or offices at least once, but what do you do when there aren't any handy spare keys laying around? Well, seeing as how we live in the future, you could always 3D print one. Printing a plastic replica of a key you've already got in your possession is a piece of cake, but the real trick for the curious and the criminal alike is figuring out how to print a key that'll open locks without having an original key on hand. Wired spoke to a pair of lockpickers who did just that -- with just a photo of a keyhole, some understanding of the lock's depth and a bit of crafty purpose-built software called Photobump, security consultants Jos Weyers and Christian Holler can print so-called "bump keys" that allow them to jimmy open nearly any lock with just a bit of elbow grease.

Haven't heard of bump keys before? Long story short, they're specially filed keys that you slip into a keyhole and hit with a mallet. Why? The energy from that thump is transferred up from the key's grooves and into the two layers of pins that normally keep the lock from rotating -- if you strike the bump key just right while trying to turn it, that top layer of pins will leap out of the way long enough for you to unlock the whole shebang.

yea.... that is a little too easy as someone could easily print out a bunch of these for cheap. but interesting 

Just as easily as getting a key and sanding it down. Honestly, the media is going to have a field day with this. If someone wants to make a bump key, they wouldn't buy a fucking 3d printer. They'd buy a $30 key

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Good luck trying that on my 5 lever lock....

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

if you buy me a 3d printer, and a ticket to the UK, im prepared to try it.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

if you buy me a 3d printer, and a ticket to the UK, im prepared to try it.

Haha well you cannot use a traditional lock pick, as there are no pins, and you cannot drill them either :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Haha well you cannot use a traditional lock pick, as there are no pins, and you cannot drill them either :P

.... mind bullets?

.... mind bullets?

well I guess smashing the window is probably a better option... but be my guest

Do a lot of buildings have those kind of locks? I'm interested, as quite many locks here on public buildings keys can be inserted either way, and probably have pins on both sides, making them easy to unlock with a key, but difficult to pick.

For some reason I'd like to learn lockpicking... Too bad the only tools available here would be just paperclips and small flat headed screwdrivers (and trying to pick a padlock that doesn't stay in place is impossible for a beginner, and learning with a padlock because picking other's locks isn't exactly legal)...

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

3D printing one would be very convenient since you can print multiple keys in different sizes and have spares. Bump keys alone aren't terribly hard to come by or acquire for cheap. A simple Google search will yield results or if you're in Indonesia, go to the local locksmith for a bunch of bumps, they'll happily give you like 20 keys for about USD$10.

I've made bumb keys with 5 dollar keys from home depot before how would printing them be more effective? They would be fairly brittle no? I feel like 3D printing would lend itself better to making fake keys from imprinted copies, as you could tweak and fine tune the design.

I've made bumb keys with 5 dollar keys from home depot before how would printing them be more effective? They would be fairly brittle no? I feel like 3D printing would lend itself better to making fake keys from imprinted copies, as you could tweak and fine tune the design.

Having an imprint of the key, still a hell lot easier to just make it no?

Bump keys don't work on decent locks... So pay some money for your important locks. If you buy cheapest lock possible they don't even need a bump key because those locks open with like two generic keys.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Having an imprint of the key, still a hell lot easier to just make it no?

I meant as a base to start from, but yes just knowing the type you could make a scratch key but it would probably take you quite a while to get it right.

Bump keys don't work on decent locks... So pay some money for your important locks. If you buy cheapest lock possible they don't even need a bump key because those locks open with like two generic keys.

^this

I can unlock a door without anything but a simple tool that I won't mention.

In terms of this key, I don't get why the locksmiths went public about it, they could have sold the idea privately.

I've opened a masterlock lock with a hair pin and small screwdriver before. Had to because we lost the key to a home made gun locker, and it had security hinges and shit. Tried it again, couldn't get it to work oddly enough. Fluke?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

-snip

I prefer the more civilized approach. 

The real question is, buckshot, or those sissy door breaching rounds?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

The real question is, buckshot, or those sissy door breaching rounds?

Neither. Brute strength. 

*flexes thighs*

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Saw off the latch with a reciprocating saw or a grinder with a metal cutoff wheel. It will be open within 3 minutes tops.

We accidentally locked the office without the key before leaving on vacation, and my dad had to do this when we got back.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Oh no! it's not like you could buy lockpick sets already.. 

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"