Your thougts on MAxwell GPU´s

hacki@LSP

I kinda like it, although if it's something really special then my 870 will be all the more precious ;)

Sometimes I think about my GT630. Does that count?

Ola Englund does not approve of your hashtags. Sleep is for the weak, insomnia builds character.

As you are reading this you are slowly traveling forwards in time to where you will get out of the time machine and continue to read posts. Too spookyfor100me.

Nothing. Maxwell does not exist yet. I can not have thoughts about something that does not exist.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Nah I don't think it'll be too good; AMD and Nvidia usually have decent ideas what the others planning and AMD thought it was safe to release the 285 as a standalone and it's nothing too powerful it's more power efficient (LIKE MAXWELL currently Tonga is the most efficient thing AMD has and beats most of Nvidia's current offerings(except the 750s)) so either AMDs out of ideas atm, they're holding something back, or they're pretty certain Nvidia's gonna fail... Plus remember the GK110 featured in the Titan Black and 780Ti are FULLY UNLOCKED and only made from very damn good binning of may I remind everyone the largest GPU on the market dwarfing AMD's Hawaii GPU(in surface area of the chip and the chip alone) by over 100mmwhich is ALOT and the new GPUs are supposed to be much smaller making without the perfect binning and the size advantage I don't think Nvidia can match the 780ti or Titan Blacks and I think that anything that beats the 780 and Vanilla Titan is gonna be difficult and I can see that difficulty causing a price bump for a while...

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

5800 to 6800 2x increase in performance WITH visual improvements -

6800 to 7800 2x increase in performance -

7800 to 8800 2x increase -

8800 to GTX280 2x increase (aware I skipped the 9000 series, same thing) - 2009

280 to 480 2x increase - 2010 <- this is where the slowdown really starts though you could argue 2007-2010 had lots of 8800/9800 rebadges

480 to 580...1.1x increase (came out same year to address power consumption)

580 to 680 1.3x increase

680 to 780 1.6x increase

From OCN

I thought it was pretty interesting.

I just want them to come out now..... :(

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

35% performance over a 780; it was is usually aimed for with a new generation. this is including the performance hit from 256 bit. should be around 20% better than a 780ti. but NDA is still valid so  :wacko:

Edit: before anyone asks. it'll most likely be announce at IBC 2014 on friday september 12th in the netherlands. NDA and launch on the 19th. (the friday after)

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Kinda interested. More then anything i want more vram, i would like to see some 4gb reference gpu's with slightly higher then 780ti performance hit market and ill gladly replace my lightning 780's with some 880's but thats hoping for a lot i think.

they're holding something back,

there are rumours that invites from AMD came "for something Great " for september. I am waiting with GPU upgrade until End of September, as the new generation should come out

there are rumours that invites from AMD came "for something Great " for september. I am waiting with GPU upgrade until End of September, as the new generation should come out

Yo dude; R9 285 confirmed for September 2nd xD and lots of sources have said they plan on releasing a 285x in the future aswell I don't think they'd go "Here's one new card; next month you'll get another new card" then 2 weeks later "Here's a Dozen new cards"

I think the only thing that'd make them do that is if the 800 series kicks of with a bang.

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Yo dude; R9 285 confirmed for September 2nd xD and lots of sources have said they plan on releasing a 285x in the future aswell I don't think they'd go "Here's one new card; next month you'll get another new card" then 2 weeks later "Here's a Dozen new cards"

I think the only thing that'd make them do that is if the 800 series kicks of with a bang.

I know, but let see what happened

750Ti and laptops came in with Maxwell few month ago

in September GTX 880 will come out (probably with a bang)

What does AMD makes?

Tonga in August (released in Early september) and answering the bang with another bang, new flaghships at the end f the month

it kinda make sense

I know, but let see what happened

750Ti and laptops came in with Maxwell few month ago

in September GTX 880 will come out (probably with a bang)

What does AMD makes?

Tonga in August (released in Early september) and answering the bang with another bang, new flaghships at the end f the month

it kinda make sense

Think about what you just said: Nvidia released a couple of cards MONTHS ago that weren't flag ship only power efficient(like 285) waited a few months and are now releasing a whole series; that's probably what AMD's so expect 300/9000/8000 w/e they name it early next year....

The performance will depend on the fabrication size.
If it's 28nm it will be 20-30% faster with almost half the TDP.(That's what we already know from the 750Ti)
But if it's 20nm we could see cards being 60%+ faster than a 780Ti.

RTX2070OC 

Think about what you just said: Nvidia released a couple of cards MONTHS ago that weren't flag ship only power efficient(like 285) waited a few months and are now releasing a whole series; that's probably what AMD's so expect 300/9000/8000 w/e they name it early next year....

thats correct, but we talk about AMD who does things... different than AMD (better or worse your call)

All I want to say is there are rumours that AMD might want to release some cards at the End of September ( or maybe they just announce them and they will come it on October, see r9 series)

The performance will depend on the die size.

If it's 28nm it will be 20-30% faster with almost half the TDP.(That's what we already know from the 750Ti)

But if it's 20nm we could see cards being 60%+ faster than a 780Ti.

800 series is confirmed 28nm; Also I don't think you know quite what your talking about... You mention die size then speak of fabrication process size... Fabrication process size which is currently 28nm for gpus means each gpu core or component can be as small as 28 nm and about 28nm from the next one.... Die size is the total size of the chip GK110 which is hulking monster of almost 550mm2 compared to Hawaii that's about 420mm2 and GK107 that's nearly 380mm2 iirc and the GPU of the 800 series I believe is supposed to be around the 400 mark according to rumors... 

thats correct, but we talk about AMD who does things... different than AMD (better or worse your call)

All I want to say is there are rumours that AMD might want to release some cards at the End of September ( or maybe they just announce them and they will come it on October, see r9 series)

There's a giant difference... It'd be damn retarded to...

Sept 2nd- R9 285

Sept 31st- R11 390X and whole 300 series

October- R9 285X

Think about that... JUST THINK... I'd say AMD's gonna use the 285(and 285x when/if it comes) to hold off Nvidia for a while cause remember theres been rumors of the 285 and Tonga for MONTHS... And the only other thing has been the debate if the 290x still has some hidden locked cores that if unlocked could make a 290XT/295x/295/300/300X/390X I don't think amd could stop rumors and leaks on all but one chip.... Unless somehow the Tonga chip is gonna be the 390X(or whatever) and the 285 is just a highly locked down version... Or the 290XT is actually a thing...

its going to be like the 9800GTX was to the 8800GTX. a little bit faster in cases where memory bandwidth doesn't matter, lower MSRP, and better efficiency all around. A side grade people, watch your wallets  :ph34r:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

800 series is confirmed 28nm; Also I don't think you know quite what your talking about... You mention die size then speak of fabrication process size... Fabrication process size which is currently 28nm for gpus means each gpu core or component can be as small as 28 nm and about 28nm from the next one.... Die size is the total size of the chip GK110 which is hulking monster of almost 550mm2 compared to Hawaii that's about 420mm2 and GK107 that's nearly 380mm2 iirc and the GPU of the 800 series I believe is supposed to be around the 400 mark according to rumors... 

I meant fabrication size I corrected it.

And no 28nm isn't confirmed neither by Nvidia nor TSMC.

Everything we know about the 800 series is rumors.

The only official information we got is that Maxwell releases 2014 which it already did with the 750/ti and that it won't have Unified Virtual Memory anymore.

At this point everything about the release time and fabrication size of the 800 series is pure speculation.

This is the only legit information we got about Maxwell this year:

nvidia-maxwell-performance-kepler.jpg

PascalRoadmap.jpg

RTX2070OC 

I think he is talking regarding that with better fabrication process the die size will shrink, I usually make loads of small mistakes like that as I type from work lol

There's a giant difference... It'd be damn retarded to...

Sept 2nd- R9 285

Sept 31st- R11 390X and whole 300 series

October- R9 285X

Think about that... JUST THINK... I'd say AMD's gonna use the 285(and 285x when/if it comes) to hold off Nvidia for a while cause remember theres been rumors of the 285 and Tonga for MONTHS... And the only other thing has been the debate if the 290x still has some hidden locked cores that if unlocked could make a 290XT/295x/295/300/300X/390X I don't think amd could stop rumors and leaks on all but one chip.... Unless somehow the Tonga chip is gonna be the 390X(or whatever) and the 285 is just a highly locked down version... Or the 290XT is actually a thing...

I know that it will be tight, and the End of september show might be about new CPUs....

Well, at the moment they could hold off Nvidia with price, as GTX880 (r9 290x rival ) and GTX870(r9 290 rival) will be rather efficient and more powerfull, than Nvidia would have the upper hand..

All I want to say is that we have 2 companies with 2 completely different policies. There rumors (how strong or serious... several journalist got invitation to end of september, but it might be anything), that can have reasons behind it (especially if you make a theory for them like me, lol, but basically I am going to buy a new gpu soon and I want variety so I hope for the best)

But yes you are right, it has rather large possibility that they will introduce FX 8390, Fx with 3.7 Ghz, and that will be the news, like 285 

Its interesting to compare Nvidia's last two architectures with Maxwell. What caught my eye is that Maxwell's SMM is almost a Marriage of Fermi's Streaming Multi-Processor and Kepler's Streaming Multi-processor X. Same size as Kepler, but divided up into 4 Half-Fermi Sized SM's. 

I mean, there are obvious improvements and differences everywhere, but you can sort of get a feel for what Nvidia Engineers are doing with Maxwell.

GeForce_GTX_750_Ti_SM_Diagram_FINAL.png

SMXB.PNG
fermi_gt100_sm.jpg

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I know that it will be tight, and the End of september show might be about new CPUs....

Well, at the moment they could hold off Nvidia with price, as GTX880 (r9 290x rival ) and GTX870(r9 290 rival) will be rather efficient and more powerfull, than Nvidia would have the upper hand..

All I want to say is that we have 2 companies with 2 completely different policies. There rumors (how strong or serious... several journalist got invitation to end of september, but it might be anything), that can have reasons behind it (especially if you make a theory for them like me, lol, but basically I am going to buy a new gpu soon and I want variety so I hope for the best)

But yes you are right, it has rather large possibility that they will introduce FX 8390, Fx with 3.7 Ghz, and that will be the news, like 285 

i've heard 22nm aswell........ so maybe 8XXM with 28nm and 8xx with 22nm