MSI motherboards question

Go to solution Solved by ShadowCaptain,

For general stuff, there is no difference they both support the same CPUs and graphics cards

The Gaming versions are better for overclocking as the VRM coolers are better, they also have more sata ports, more usb 3 ports etc and more features overeall

I am working on my parts list for a new pc build, and i am having a hard time finding the difference between the MSI Z97-G43 and the MSI Z97 gaming 3.

The only clear difference i have been able to spot is the amount of USB ports. I am however not very good at motherboards in general.

I am going with a i7 4790K and a Asus GTX770 GPU.

Can you help me gain some knowlegde on the subject?

Thank you.

For general stuff, there is no difference they both support the same CPUs and graphics cards

The Gaming versions are better for overclocking as the VRM coolers are better, they also have more sata ports, more usb 3 ports etc and more features overeall

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

As the captain said :D

Beware of him that is slow to anger; for when it is long coming, it is the stronger when it comes, and the longer kept. Abused patience turns to fury.

I will go for the gaming 3 then, since the price difference is marginal at best :) Thank you

I will go for the gaming 3 then, since the price difference is marginal at best :) Thank you

Yeah its a nice board, I just built with one myself

you can see the board here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/202171-the-%C2%A3800-editinglight-gaming-build-for-a-client/

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah its a nice board, I just built with one myself

you can see the board here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/202171-the-%C2%A3800-editinglight-gaming-build-for-a-client/

Can i ask you a question in regards to the case you are using?

I was going for the Zalman Z9 plus, but because it was a good price with seemingly ok airflow, and cable management. But also because it came with fans (My budget for right now is about as booked as it can be.

I had before looked at the Corsair Carbide Spec-03, and have gotten it recommended, and the price is again marginal. Does it come with somewhat acceptable fans, and/or would you recommend it (or others in the same price range), over the Z9 plus?

EDIT: Also, i know that the H60 is not perfect, but would it be a better fit than a Noctua NH-U12s if i wish to achieve atleast some overclocking of the CPU?

Can i ask you a question in regards to the case you are using?

I actually really liked it, it is now with the person I built it for and he likes it too. It came with case fans and was really easy to build in, cable management is SUPER easy because of how the side panels bulge out like an inch so you can just leave the cables there and shut the side panel

I am not a fan of Zalman, they are a pretty low quality brand

That is then another part that will be changed :)

Sorry to keep bothering you, but what about the H60 part (edited it in for less clutter, but it was probably overlooked)?