LGA 2011 Motherboard Pin Repair Vlog

Intel Core i7 4930K

NCIX: http://bit.ly/VN24NS

Amazon: http://geni.us/q7v

ASUS X79 Deluxe Motherboard

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1vlmo8k

Amazon: http://geni.us/1StX

Pin repair on an LGA socket is not a simple task... but it is doable! Check out Linus' method. (Warning: your mileage may vary, and you could kill your CPU or mobo in this process. We do not recommend trying this at home)

http://youtu.be/HsgodSeRdWA

Nick is Love, Nick is Life

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

Awesome.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Nick is Love, Nick is Life

brandon is love brandon is life

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

I fully support this comment.

Congrats on passing 100 posts! :lol:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 | GPU: XFX r9 280x DD BLACK OC EDITION | RAM: 8gb Kingston HyperX Fury 1600Mhz | Mobo: Gigabyte h97n-WIFI | PSU: EVGA 600B | Case: Cooler Master Elite 120 | Cooler: Stock intel | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb | Storage: WD 150 gb

CPU: Intel Core i7 4710MQ | GPU: NVIDIA Geforce GTX 850M | RAM: 8gb Corsair 1600Mhz | Mobo: Metabox WA50SJ Motherboard | Case: Metabox WA50SJ case | Cooler: Stock | SSD: Sandisk 256gb

:wub:  :wub:  :wub: 

Best purchase this year, bcuz forza

This is still better...

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

1:38

red dot magnifying glass?

Home is where the heart my desktop is.

3:13 - Meow!

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Haha this happened to me and I used a broken pencil to bend the pin back, I was so scared at the time.

The similar thing happened to me with my old LGA775 board. It happened after I had already replaced it and wasn't using it anymore but needed it to test something. The relief when it booted was pretty awesome even if I didn't really need that board anymore.

Notice how he didn't mention an Anti-static wrist strap. I never use one and now I think he never uses one, either.

Very recently I lost an LGA 1155 board after a few pins were bent and a few others completely broke off.

Yeah, theyre starting to bend out of the nothing. The socket is just horrible, this is why I would prefer BGA (cpu soldered) than lga.

And this is why I don't like lga.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

I think the cats want something. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

it was cool seeing the little dust thing flying around in the video

Yeah, theyre starting to bend out of the nothing. The socket is just horrible, this is why I would prefer BGA (cpu soldered) than lga.

I think the best solution is to put the pins back on the CPU, much easier to repair because the pins are larger and have more space between them.

I bent a few pins on my FX 8320 but it was quite easy to repair them with a needle and a card.

I think the best solution is to put the pins back on the CPU, much easier to repair because the pins are larger and have more space between them.

I bent a few pins on my FX 8320 but it was quite easy to repair them with a needle and a card.

There are (dis)advantages for both LGA or pins on the CPU. Eg having pins on a 20K xeon CPU doesnt make much sense, you would prefer the pins on the board going out. Sure swapping the board takes a lot more effort than swapping the CPU there but atleast you save a bunch of money. If you're not willing to fix anything and lets say you have a i7 & H81, just visit the shop and 40$ isn't harsh on your wallet but on the other hand LGA is quite awful if you have a Crosshair V Formula and a cheap 30$ CPU. If you're willing to fix it, sure pins on CPU is better :P

I just wonder why they don't have flat pins on the socket as well? 

What Linus is not telling us is he was breaking the new baby in to be a tech guru like him and the baby bent/broke the pin while installing the cpu improperly and it led to Linus repairing this.  Way to go Linus!  Baby is too young for this ****!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

There are (dis)advantages for both LGA or pins on the CPU. Eg having pins on a 20K xeon CPU doesnt make much sense, you would prefer the pins on the board going out. Sure swapping the board takes a lot more effort than swapping the CPU there but atleast you save a bunch of money. If you're not willing to fix anything and lets say you have a i7 & H81, just visit the shop and 40$ isn't harsh on your wallet but on the other hand LGA is quite awful if you have a Crosshair V Formula and a cheap 30$ CPU. If you're willing to fix it, sure pins on CPU is better :P

The price argument is valid but from a purely pragmatic principle having the pins on the CPU is simply better for easement of repair.

I just wonder why they don't have flat pins on the socket as well?

I keep wondering the same !

The price argument is valid but from a purely pragmatic principle having the pins on the CPU is simply better for easement of repair.

And not to forget; easier installation. The latch is quite stiff, I was scared to apply the force that was needed >.> I watched a few video's after that just to see if extra force was needed lol. I haven't upgraded to a 4930K because I didnt want to bother with bent pins, theyre quite fragile to bend when you take a CPU out. AMD CPU's are so much easier to install and the pins are less likely to bend than Intels socket.

I keep wondering the same !

Well if is possible, why haven't they done it? I mean they would do it straight away but there must be a technical explanation why they can't. Might make a thread just to ask this.