Pretty sure they are gone, but...

Just to be sure I figured I would ask.

Pry two years ago I mined for a week or two out of curiosity, got half a bitcoin from a pool share, cashed out and walked away. My wallet was never backed up, later on I formatted the SSD and gave it to my brother. I've already tried recovery on the drive quick and nothing comes up.

I'm 99.9% it is simply gone, but figured I would ask if there is a way to retrieve the wallet info. The only reason I know how many bitcoins I have is I was cleaning out my bookmarks, went to the site I used and Chrome autofilled the login for me.

1.PNG

Just to be sure I figured I would ask.

Pry two years ago I mined for a week or two out of curiosity, got half a bitcoin from a pool share, cashed out and walked away. My wallet was never backed up, later on I formatted the SSD and gave it to my brother. I've already tried recovery on the drive quick and nothing comes up.

I'm 99.9% it is simply gone, but figured I would ask if there is a way to retrieve the wallet info. The only reason I know how many bitcoins I have is I was cleaning out my bookmarks, went to the site I used and Chrome autofilled the login for me.

1.PNG

i dont think so you can get them back , since the backup you made is gone :(

If you no longer have the keys, you no longer have control of the bitcoins associated with those addresses.

Do you remember which wallet was used, if it was the full BitcoinQT the file you need to scan the formatted drive for recovery is "wallet.dat". Is it possible you used an online wallet which didn't store keys on your local system?

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

It was a locally stored wallet, I did try scanning the drive for the dat file, but it is long gone (tried about a year after the drive was formatted and regularly used to capacity).

Oh well I figured there was no way to get them back, thanks for the info guys.