Noise reduction kit for 3.5" HDD?

Yuval

I just got a WD Green, and somehow it's the loudest part of my computer, so i'm trying to get suggestions for a good noise reduction kit for it. What i'm looking for is a housing which will fit a 5.25" bay, and keep the HDD silent. Anyone got suggestions?

:/

If you WD green is making so much noise it is probably defective and you should RMA ASAP

those drives are supposed to be extremely silent and energy efficient

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

If you WD green is making so much noise it is probably defective and you should RMA ASAP

those drives are supposed to be extremely silent and energy efficient

if this is true you should double check if thats the cause then RMA it

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I can asure you that you're not the only one who's WD green is the loudest part in their PC. ;) And it's not broken don't worry. I used to have a Sharkoon Vibe Fixer 3 which got rid of most of the vibrations. It smells like softeners though.

You could go more extreme and support the drive just on top of some soft foam.

who cares...

I can asure you that you're not the only one who's WD green is the loudest part in their PC. ;) And it's not broken don't worry. I used to have a Sharkoon Vibe Fixer 3 which got rid of most of the vibrations. It smells like softeners though.

You could go more extreme and support the drive just on top of some soft foam.

Now it's mounted on a ghetto 3.5 to 5.25 plastic adapter, I'll see if plugging it to a proper drive Bay of my r4 (which was removed for airflow) will reduce the noise.

Now it's mounted on a ghetto 3.5 to 5.25 plastic adapter, I'll see if plugging it to a proper drive Bay of my r4 (which was removed for airflow) will reduce the noise.

The noise reduction inside the HDD cages is mediocre. The small rubber washers at the bottom help a little bit but it still send vibrations through quite well. Same goes for the sharkoon vibe fixer 3 but it has more rubber so less vibrations. Best would obviously to switch to SSDs completeley but that's quite expensive. :D

who cares...

There are plenty of DIY options that are often better than ones you can buy. Just use something to suspend the hdd and prevent the vibrations from transferring to the case. 

18s3slpzyso69png.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

There are plenty of DIY options that are often better than ones you can buy. Just use something to suspend the hdd and prevent the vibrations from transferring to the case. 

18s3slpzyso69png.png

That's not going to reduce much of the noise much, you need something not as stiff as Zip ties, more like a velcro wrap of some kind maybe, didn't Antec do a case with some kind of drive floating mechanism on rubber stretchy material?

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

That's not going to reduce much of the noise much, you need something not as stiff as Zip ties, more like a velcro wrap of some kind maybe, didn't Antec do a case with some kind of drive floating mechanism on rubber stretchy material?

Those aren't zip ties--it's bungee cord.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I switched to my normal HDD bays with rubber and eveything, still i can hear the HDD.

What do you guys say about an external solution for my HDD? Would that cancel out the noise better?

Hi Yuval,

If you recently puchased your WD Green drive, you can check here http://wdsupport.wdc.com/warranty/warrantycheck.asp?custtype=end if it's still under warranty and consider an RMA if you think that is the case.

Can you give me,please a little more information on how did you measured the dB of the drive and what are the values? Here's the drive spec. sheet http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-800026.pdf, can you tell me regarding which model the values exceed the rates?

Thank you in advance.

KY_WD 

Hate to go OT, but doing a search for a contraption called the Hard Drive Muffler I found this super funny post: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111025070854AANk1A4

Back On-T, I know there a enclosure for a 3.5" drive that is supposed to silence it, but at the expense of possibly (most likely) reducing its cooling, I just can't find it, imagine an enclosure made of metal with heat pipes on the outside and with some heat fins.

Not quite what I had previously seen but looks viable:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hdd-noise-silencer,2287.html

or

smartdrive-classic-parts.jpg

Smart Drive enclosure : http://www.quietpc.com/smartdrive-classic

Many more options here: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=60_485_127

Edited by IdeaStormer

I feel your pain OP. I did many things to silent my HDDs. First I suspended them with bungee cord. That helped a lot but they were still a bit to loud so I wrapped the 5.25 bay i had them suspended in with insulating foam. Worked great and ran with that for a long while. Only issue with that was the hard drive temps were getting a touch to warm for my liking. So I looked around and found this. And while water cooling hard drives is kinda ..extravagant but it makes the hard drives 100% silent and keeps them at a 36 to 40 degree temp depending on load. Very happy with it. 

wtFLrGH.png3

May just get a external adapter with USB 3.0, and place it in a sound isolating box tucked away somewhere.  ain't getting a custom water loop for a HDD haha, not that rich

If you want to go DIY with this, get some closed cell foam and use it to pad drives. But make sure to leave some breathing room for them. HDDs can heat up a bit.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv