Is it worth me folding?

no, it's not even worth folding with an i7 4770k. You need a dedicated GPU

too bad I get 20K+ PPD with my 4670K.. To be honest, every little bit helps. If 500 people get 200 PPD, that's 100,000 PPD...

well i started mining and sort of forgot about it realised my laptop is extremely slow! after 2 months on full load i got 650 points from folding.... so i dont think its worth it in my eyes!

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

well i started mining and sort of forgot about it realised my laptop is extremely slow! after 2 months on full load i got 650 points from folding.... so i dont think its worth it in my eyes!

You don't get it. Even when donating to charity, every single bit is worth it

too bad I get 20K+ PPD with my 4670K.. To be honest, every little bit helps. If 500 people get 200 PPD, that's 100,000 PPD...

But they would consume so much power it wouldn't even be worth it. We have to think about the environment too.

Maybe sell the laptop and get a dedicated gpu for folding in your rig or just a better one that you fold when not in use if you're not going to be using the laptop

I'm surprised you don't think of Bender chugging down beer.

I've been reminded of this now. God damn you.

But they would consume so much power it wouldn't even be worth it. We have to think about the environment too.

I don't think your logic makes sense, but I'm also not sure that mine does, so lemme give this a try. 

For examples sake, let's say we're generating power from non-renewable energy (e.g Coal, Uranium), because that's all that really hurts the environment. 

We can use X amount of power now, and have that last the planet another 50 years. X is how much power we're using by letting everybody do CPU mining and just be generally inefficient. 

or

We can use Y amount of power now, and have that last the planet another 75 years. Y is how much power we're using by not CPU mining and have them be very efficient.

(obviously my numbers are just for examples sake) 

If we use X over 50 years, or Y over 75 years, won't it have the same effect on the environment? Does it make a difference how fast we bleed pollution into the atmosphere if we're going to inevitably going to do it anyway? 

Also, for people who are running on Solar/Water/Biogas power generation methods. Pardon my language, but as long as the infrastructure can support it, who gives a flying fuck if they use X amount of power over Y?

Like I said, I'm not even sure if my logic makes sense. Just wanted to give it a shot ;) 

*SNIP*

that logic does indeed not make sense, when you are talking about efficiency that basically means you have one modern cpu accomplishing more work for the power spendt compared to the old cpu, which means it isn't a matter of when or how long, they will inherently be using a different amount of power to achieve the same thing, besides using that logic you might aswell say "oh let's just nuke all the continents and blow up the world, i mean.. the sun is going to fry us in about 3-4 billion years or so, does it really matter when it happens?" :P

but i could somewhat agree with that logic if you had a older cpu spending 50 watts, and the newer one being twice as fast but using 100 watts.. you can't say we are screwed anyway so let's just do whatever we want and further dig ourselves into oblivion because who cares, besides the more power we spend the more power we will need to supplement from non renewable sources like coal, because our current renewable means aren't that broadly used or sufficient for that matter.

<snip>

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks I'm crazy :P

You don't get it. Even when donating to charity, every single bit is worth it

no i mean its not worth it in my eyes! liike power consumption to points! i dont care i do it anyway its for charity! but its not effective on a laptop! my opinion

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

I've been reminded of this now. God damn you.

Bender is awesome... :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I don't think your logic makes sense, but I'm also not sure that mine does, so lemme give this a try. 

For examples sake, let's say we're generating power from non-renewable energy (e.g Coal, Uranium), because that's all that really hurts the environment. 

We can use X amount of power now, and have that last the planet another 50 years. X is how much power we're using by letting everybody do CPU mining and just be generally inefficient. 

or

We can use Y amount of power now, and have that last the planet another 75 years. Y is how much power we're using by not CPU mining and have them be very efficient.

(obviously my numbers are just for examples sake) 

If we use X over 50 years, or Y over 75 years, won't it have the same effect on the environment? Does it make a difference how fast we bleed pollution into the atmosphere if we're going to inevitably going to do it anyway? 

Also, for people who are running on Solar/Water/Biogas power generation methods. Pardon my language, but as long as the infrastructure can support it, who gives a flying fuck if they use X amount of power over Y?

Like I said, I'm not even sure if my logic makes sense. Just wanted to give it a shot ;)

Obviously if they use solar or hydroelectric energy, it's not as bad. But hydroelectric does pollute too. Also, uranium will last forever most likely.

Bender is awesome... :D

Futurama wouldn't be futurama without him. Or without the great taste of Charleston Chew! Sorry..

Futurama wouldn't be futurama without him. Or without the great taste of Charleston Chew! Sorry..

Imagine how well Bender could fold if he folded like he bends...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

@Bloodyvalley Please STOP posting negative comments in regards to folding now that you think you are earning money on some coin setup. If you cannot contribute nor add something positive, don't reply please. 

Folding is always worth it, period. 200 PPD or 200,000 PPD DOES make a difference, period. Folding is not about money, or electricity use or any of that. It's about donating to research. 

My suggestions for older CPU's @NeatSquidYT is to use the Chrome Folding App. These are much smaller WU's and lower end CPU's can crank through these. Also, on a LOW setting, it won't heat up a laptop much either.

Yay! i'm going to try that!TY

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

Imagine how well Bender could fold if he folded like he bends...

"I'm sorry, do you see a robot here called folder?"