IPS monitor for photographer

Hi Folks

I'm just wondering, if any of you are photographers who switched from TN to IPS and if it improve your post production?

I'm thinking to get a new IPS monitor if it does help with colour accuracy or not.

I'm eyeing on the LG 34UM95, I know the curve version is coming out and maybe i will wait for that too...

Thanks

You can get Dell Ultrasharp monitors, they are best known for color accuracy

My current rig for entertainment/gaming: i5 4570 3,2GHz; MSI B85M-E45; ZOTAC GTX760 AMP!; 8GB (2x4GB) by Kingston; Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm; Corsair 200R, Corsair VS650; Dell U2312HM, Samsung DVD R/W optical drive; CM Devastator; Corsair MM400 gaming pad

Maybe you should get one of those fancy 10-bit panels...?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I'm just wondering if it is day and night difference in terms of colour reproduction and accuracy, and if it help during post production in lightroom and photoshop....

I'm just wondering if it is day and night difference in terms of colour reproduction and accuracy, and if it help during post production in lightroom and photoshop....

Night and day. 

Yes it is, IPS panels are realy allot better wenn it comes to viewing angles, and color accurancy.

LG makes the best IPS panels. You will never go wrong with a decent LG IPS monitor.

Also the Dell US are great, they also use an LG ips panel inside.

Those expensive Apple displays are also LG ips panels.

if i dont care about the curve screen, thunderbolt connection, extra res for pc gaming. should i just get the 34um65 instead?

not sure if the IPS in the 34um65 is different than the 34um95 with different res. .....

Yes it is, IPS panels are realy allot better wenn it comes to viewing angles, and color accurancy.

LG makes the best IPS panels. You will never go wrong with a decent LG IPS monitor.

Also the Dell US are great, they also use an LG ips panel inside.

Those expensive Apple displays are also LG ips panels.

Do you know anything about this LG monitor? How the ips panel compared to AOC i2369vm or HP 23xi?

i5 4690k, Z97m gaming, Kingston Savage 2x4gb 1600, Msi r9 290, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv, WD Blue 1tb, CM V650, Asus VX239H, CM Quickfire Rapid-I, Logitech G502.

Do you know anything about this LG monitor?

I know that most LG monitors (including that one) come pre-calibrated out of the box, so you'll get pretty decent colour accuracy. :)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I know that most LG monitors (including that one) come pre-calibrated out of the box, so you'll get pretty decent colour accuracy. :)

Thats good to know, I'm just not sure if the extra money for the 34um95 worth the extra res for photo editing if both are IPS 

Thats good to know, I'm just not sure if the extra money for the 34um95 worth the extra res for photo editing if both are IPS

Well the 34UM95 is considerably more expensive than the 23MP75HM because it has a high resolution of 3440x1440 resolution, whereas the 23MP75HM just has your standard 1920x1080 resolution. Also the 34UM95 sports a 10bit IPS panel vs the 23MP75HM which sports a 6bit panel with AFRC (Advance Frame Rate Control) to simulate an 8bit IPS panel. You just have decide which one you really want.

To give you a visual comparison of the resolution I've posted an example below.

post-14986-0-80627700-1409072319.jpg

You could go with the LG 29UB65-P (http://www.lg.com/uk/monitors/lg-29UB65-P) for half the price. It uses a true 8bit panel with no AFRC implementation and still has a tad more resolution that your standard 1920x1080 monitor, with a resolution of 2560x1080. :)

@avatar1

Thanks folks

do we know when the AOC U3477PQU is coming out?

Do you know anything about this LG monitor? How the ips panel compared to AOC i2369vm or HP 23xi?

This indeed, LG ips panels are all great.

I never saw an LG monitor with bad colors.

If you are a photo editor, you could maybe concider a 1440P LG panel.

But still 1080p on 23" in totaly fine.

I would ( and have ) splurge on the 34UM95-P, it has 10bit colours via 8bit-FRC.

You can also easily get the LG ACB8300 colour calibrator for around €35 that rivals the iDisplay Pro, and you'll get the best colour and gamma accuracy possible on the display.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Do you shoot RAW? You can go for a 10-bit panel, but make sure your GPU can also send 10-bit. If everything is online, keep in mind sRGB is what's displayed mostly. Calibrated 8-bit on a decent panel should work for most situations, but if you're creating a professional portfolio and whatnot, I'd look into the better 10-bit panels.

I have an IPS panel that has 100% sRGB coverage, and it was a huge difference coming from a TN panel.  That being said, my current monitor on has 77% Adobe RGB coverage.

Color accuracy is a complicated subject that I didn't really understand when I first started.  IPS panels are more color accurate, meaning the blue on the screen is closer to 'real' blue.  The also have more color coverage, meaning the amount of total colors they can display.

Most things web and computer related use sRGB.  Any decent IPS panel, including the 34UM95 will have pretty damn close to 100% sRGB coverage, meaning they can accurately display almost every color in that range.  But sRGB range isn't all of the colors that the human eye can perceive in nature.

The next standard is Adobe RGB, which I believe covers something like 35% more colors (though still not all of the colors the human eye can see).  Pretty much all DSLRs can shoot in Adobe RGB, and really high end 'pro' grade monitors will have close to 100% Adobe RGB coverage.  You'll spend a little premium for it, but it's as close as you can get to all the natural colors with today's technology.

That being said, as I mentioned, even nicer IPS panels can't always display all of the Adobe RGB scheme (usually around 75%), and as far as I know no TN panels even come close.  So if all o your photos are just going to be online, that 'extra' color information is going to be lost by 99% of the monitors viewing it.  If color accuracy is super important to you AND you plan on sending your photos off to be PROFESSIONALLY printed, then look into getting a monitor with as close to 100% Adobe RGB coverage as possible.  If not make sure it at least has 100% sRGB coverage and you should be golden.  Either way you're definitely looking at an IPS panel though.

Do you shoot RAW? You can go for a 10-bit panel, but make sure your GPU can also send 10-bit. If everything is online, keep in mind sRGB is what's displayed mostly. Calibrated 8-bit on a decent panel should work for most situations, but if you're creating a professional portfolio and whatnot, I'd look into the better 10-bit panels.

I have an IPS panel that has 100% sRGB coverage, and it was a huge difference coming from a TN panel.  That being said, my current monitor on has 77% Adobe RGB coverage.

Color accuracy is a complicated subject that I didn't really understand when I first started.  IPS panels are more color accurate, meaning the blue on the screen is closer to 'real' blue.  The also have more color coverage, meaning the amount of total colors they can display.

Most things web and computer related use sRGB.  Any decent IPS panel, including the 34UM95 will have pretty damn close to 100% sRGB coverage, meaning they can accurately display almost every color in that range.  But sRGB range isn't all of the colors that the human eye can perceive in nature.

The next standard is Adobe RGB, which I believe covers something like 35% more colors (though still not all of the colors the human eye can see).  Pretty much all DSLRs can shoot in Adobe RGB, and really high end 'pro' grade monitors will have close to 100% Adobe RGB coverage.  You'll spend a little premium for it, but it's as close as you can get to all the natural colors with today's technology.

That being said, as I mentioned, even nicer IPS panels can't always display all of the Adobe RGB scheme (usually around 75%), and as far as I know no TN panels even come close.  So if all o your photos are just going to be online, that 'extra' color information is going to be lost by 99% of the monitors viewing it.  If color accuracy is super important to you AND you plan on sending your photos off to be PROFESSIONALLY printed, then look into getting a monitor with as close to 100% Adobe RGB coverage as possible.  If not make sure it at least has 100% sRGB coverage and you should be golden.  Either way you're definitely looking at an IPS panel though.

Are you looking at 1440p or 1080p? Or any other resolution?

Thank you guys for the reply !

I have the sapphire r9 290 tri-x video card, i couldn't find the information if it support 10 bit color.

I shoot in raw and post product in lightroom and photoshop.

I'm not sure if higher resolution is better if the panel is IPS, I can got for 34UM95, however if resolution is not important then I can go for 34UM65 as it's much cheaper....

Thanks !

Only Quadro and FirePro cards can support 10-bit, GeForce and Radeon cards (like yours) do not.  I wouldn't invest in a 10-bit monitor unless (as TaylorHu said) you are going to have them professionally printed.  If your images are going to be viewed on computer/internet, 99% of everyone else's monitors will only be 8-bit.

IMO high resolution 16:9 is better for getting work done than 21:9 unless you're doing something that works with long timelines like large-scale video or audio editing.  16:10 is even better, but 2560x1600 monitors are a rare thing these days.  For the price of 2560x1080 21:9, you can usually get 2560x1440 16:9 instead.  For the price of 3440x1440 21:9, you can usually get 3840x2160 16:9 instead.