Razer Updates Orbweaver with "their" switches.

I was considering buying one of these to replace my Nostromo. I love my Nostromo, don't get me wrong, but the fact that the keypad only has a 3x5 key layout makes binding stuff like ctrl,v,b,n,m,t,g,y,1,2,3,4,5,6 pretty hard, and they are all used often in games. Rebinding shit to that cappy d-pad is a pain and I often have to make sacrifices. I held off buying a Orbweaver because of the green LED's which go with nothing else on my setup. If Razer wanted to upgrade the Orbweaver hey should have made a Chroma edition.

I map the whole game between the orbweaver and my mouse.

Yeah I do with my G13, It has enough buttons for WASD, 1-7 and all the usual controls needed, as well as the buttons on my g500

Pretty damn sure Cherry Keys are rated for 50 million presses, not 5 million

Second comment is bs

"that is not to say they cannot be improved upon"

Yeah, but not by cheaply manufactured Chinese garbage. German Engineering + Manufacturing > (x10^infinity) Chinese crap

You are right Its 60 million vs 50 million (although this number could just be made up)

AnandTech seemed to think they were pretty decent

"We have to stress that Razer's switches are not bad or in any way inferior to their original counterparts"

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7911/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-review/3

Kaihl have been making them for like 20 years, and since cherry no longer has any patents they can copy it 100% without any infringement of copyright

I am not saying either way which are better or worse or less or more reliable, as I do not have both types of switches to hand, just keep an open mind

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah I do with my G13, It has enough buttons for WASD, 1-7 and all the usual controls needed, as well as the buttons on my g500

You are right Its 60 million vs 50 million (although this number could just be made up)

"We have to stress that Razer's switches are not bad or in any way inferior to their original counterparts"

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7911/razer-blackwidow-ultimate-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-review/3

Kaihl have been making them for like 20 years, and since cherry no longer has any patents they can copy it 100% without any infringement of copyright

I am not saying either way which are better or worse or less or more reliable, as I do not have both types of switches to hand, just keep an open mind

that review just like razer's marketing is trying to put the best spin on it that they can. Hands down the reason that they choose to use them is that they are cheaper. The reason why razer added their own spin to them is to somehow paint them as superior. This is in contrast to reality where they might be just as good likely not.

Ill tel you another way they are saving money without even going in the actual switches themselves. They no longer have all of the logistical cost of getting the switches from germany.

I wouldn't care. The patent has run out, and since Razer has decided to use their "own" switches, good for them. I couldn't care less. But

whatever-floats-your-goat.jpg

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

that review just like razer's marketing is trying to put the best spin on it that they can. Hands down the reason that they choose to use them is that they are cheaper. The reason why razer added their own spin to them is to somehow paint them as superior. This is in contrast to reality where they might be just as good likely not.

Ill tel you another way they are saving money without even going in the actual switches themselves. They no longer have all of the logistical cost of getting the switches from germany.

Yeah I agree it was a cost saving measure (which they did not pass on to the user I might also add), with the switches being available in the same place the board is being manufactured anyway seems to make good sense

I just get fed up of everyones "this is superior to this" without any evidence, proof or hands on experience. They might be shit, they might be great, but we dont know that at this time

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I wouldn't care. The patent has run out, and since Razer has decided to use their "own" switches, good for them. I couldn't care less. But

This was more of a PSA for if you want one get the cherry switch one while you can.

This was more of a PSA for if you want one get the cherry switch one while you can.

Sorry, what I thought everyone was discussing was the fact that Razer made Cherry-like switches. And since the patent has run out, there really isn't much to do about it.

Also, I'd never buy a gamepad anyway :P

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Sorry, what I thought everyone was discussing was the fact that Razer made Cherry-like switches. And since the patent has run out, there really isn't much to do about it.

Also, I'd never buy a gamepad anyway :P

Thats in here too

The fact they aren't RGB yet doesn't help Razer's case.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Doesn't Razer use those Kaihua switches that are cheap imitations of Cherry switches?

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Am I the only one dosent care about this product? I have 4 macros on my mouse, 2 DPI and 2 volume control, and I'm happy. I couldn't care less about this product.

I've moved away from macro hyped products because the only use I have ever found for creating a macro is because the Razer keyboard was of such a shit design that I couldn't use " \ ", so had to bind a macro key to do so.

Terrible.

Sure I guess they could be handy for lengthy repetitive functions, but I honestly haven't encountered a situation where having a macro would be of any benefit.

If it made it cheaper id prefer no backlighting as this is on thing for surer youll never look at and if you it just shows the key number.

Doesn't Razer use those Kaihua switches that are cheap imitations of Cherry switches?

lol yes they are Cherry Knockoffs. This thread is about Razer "upgrading" the orbweaver with them.

I've moved away from macro hyped products because the only use I have ever found for creating a macro is because the Razer keyboard was of such a shit design that I couldn't use " \ ", so had to bind a macro key to do so.

Terrible.

Sure I guess they could be handy for lengthy repetitive functions, but I honestly haven't encountered a situation where having a macro would be of any benefit.

I generally dont use macro's with this. Its mostly just remap's for games. Basically I change it on the device rather than in the game. For me this is easier and quicker after a game or system reinstall. I so have a few shortcuts like Shift+Tab for Steam, Alt+Home for EVGA OSD, Alt+PgDn for Mumble Mute, and Alt+End for EVGA Screenshot.

I have true macro's on my mouse for desktop use though. One that opens the network window, and another that creates a new text file. This is in addition to a shortcut for creating a new folder.

http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm

Because they were paid, just like Linus was paid not to talk about the Razer Blade's piss poor cooling and gave it an editors choice for being all around perfect.

Doesn't matter what they say, it's still sheit Chinese manufacturing.

Never heard of them, and they haven't been making these exact switches for 20 years, have they? Also the whole "we can copy it 100% without infringing copyright" is complete bs and the copyright laws need to be changed. Also Cherry's patent should be extended to the life of the company

It's cheap Chinese engineering and manufacturing from a knock off brand. My mind is shut on this one. Kahil makes crappy switches, get over it.

What a surprise. And they will still charge an arm and a leg for something that is actually worse than their previous model.

Kahl switches are amazingly inconstant and have far worse quality control than Cherry. 

Also, I have used Kahl switches before and they feel so loose and naff compared to Cherry. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

still too expensive, we give you half a keyboard at same price as keyboard, 

Would I still be able to find older Cherry MX versions on ebay/amazon after they switch over?

I was going to buy one and mod it. Really it's just a matter of swapping the led's for a color you want and then taking out the reflective backplate and plasti dipping it (like what Linus did with the dominator ram).

Terrible.

It's a WASD keyboard replacement, not a macropad. It's far more ergonomic than putting your hand on a keyboard and having to awkwardly reach for stuff like ctrl. 

Kailh sucks. No thanks Razer.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Would I still be able to find older Cherry MX versions on ebay/amazon after they switch over?

Probably. Razer lists the old version on their site right now as the "Orbweaver 2012" and has it in clearance. I would imagine other retailers will follow suit to get the new stock in. 

AMDemolition: CPU: AMD FX-8350 w/ Antec KUHLER H20 920, Motherboard:  Gigabyte 990FX UD3-R5, RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 Mhz., GPU: MSI R9 290 4GB w/ Corsair HG-A1 w/ Corsair H80i Cooler, Case: NZXT H440Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD BlackPSU: Corsair AX760i, Display: Samsung 29" WFHD 2560x1080

ASUS G74SX ROG Laptop: CPU: Intel Core i7 2630MRAM: 2x 4GB 1333 Mhz., 2x 2GB 1333 Mhz., GPU: NVIDIA 560M 2GBStorage:  500GB Samsung 750 EVO, 500GB WD BlackDisplay: 17.3" 1600x900

Probably. Razer lists the old version on their site right now as the "Orbweaver 2012" and has it in clearance. I would imagine other retailers will follow suit to get the new stock in.

Do you have a link? Also how much is the clearance price?

I really wonder if they improved/fixed the thumb-piece wobble though (doubtful but hopefully MC will get these so I can try/return). that alone I would be willing to try their switches for

plus I'm sure my modded red LED one would be a somewhat easy sell :)

Do you have a link? Also how much is the clearance price?

Sorry for the late reply. 

http://www.razerzone.com/store/razer-orbweaver-2012

That was where they are selling it, but since last night it has changed to a "Notify Me" button. It was $100 USD. 

US Newegg still appears to have the old one up. All the pictures and the description indicate it's the older model. They also only want $100. But I'm not sure if they indeed are still getting rid of stock on the older model. 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153116

There's a link to Newegg. 

AMDemolition: CPU: AMD FX-8350 w/ Antec KUHLER H20 920, Motherboard:  Gigabyte 990FX UD3-R5, RAM: 2x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 Mhz., GPU: MSI R9 290 4GB w/ Corsair HG-A1 w/ Corsair H80i Cooler, Case: NZXT H440Storage: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, 1TB WD BlackPSU: Corsair AX760i, Display: Samsung 29" WFHD 2560x1080

ASUS G74SX ROG Laptop: CPU: Intel Core i7 2630MRAM: 2x 4GB 1333 Mhz., 2x 2GB 1333 Mhz., GPU: NVIDIA 560M 2GBStorage:  500GB Samsung 750 EVO, 500GB WD BlackDisplay: 17.3" 1600x900

That was where they are selling it, but since last night it has changed to a "Notify Me" button. It was $100 USD. 

US Newegg still appears to have the old one up. All the pictures and the description indicate it's the older model. They also only want $100. But I'm not sure if they indeed are still getting rid of stock on the older model. 

$99? I can't afford that right now. I'll just get one off ebay in a few months. 

I really wonder if they improved/fixed the thumb-piece wobble though (doubtful but hopefully MC will get these so I can try/return). that alone I would be willing to try their switches for

plus I'm sure my modded red LED one would be a somewhat easy sell :)

If you are interested in selling I am interested n buying. not right now, but in a few months when I have money.

Thanks and yep im not surprised.