IDE/Notepad editor for Python?

Tazman192

Just a general question to anyone who programs in any language as a matter of fact.

I have to learn tons of languages in my own time for my course (CS major), and in my first year I've learned Java, Haskell and Scala. In my second year I'm expected to learn Python, C# and C++, all needed for various coursework.

One thing I hate is getting used to an IDE (e.g. Eclipse), then having to get used to another one when it doesn't support a language (Python). I'm thinking of just using a notepad editor that supports plugins for almost any programming language out there, using a compiler for said language (IDLE for Python in this case), and just getting used to the nitty gritty of it and using it for the rest of my course.

What would you guys suggest that has support for many programming languages?

Cheers

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

I'll start with the obvious one... Notepad++?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I'll start with the obvious one... Notepad++?

Should have actually included the fact that I'm not keen on Notepad++ for programming. There's a steep learning curve for it, and I'm sure theres others out there that may be easier to learn/more user friendly. If notepad++ is the best option then I may just learn it. I've been looking into Vim also

"The only person you are destined to become is the person you decide to be."

CPU: Intel i5 4690K - Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP - 2x4GB @ 1866Mhz - GPU: MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 4GB - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD- Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Windowed (with Red AKASA Led Strips) - Display: Benq GL2460HM 24" Monitor

Should have actually included the fact that I'm not keen on Notepad++ for programming. There's a steep learning curve for it, and I'm sure theres others out there that may be easier to learn/more user friendly. If notepad++ is the best option then I may just learn it. I've been looking into Vim also

You may want to take a look at Sublime Text if you're able to pay for the $70 license. It's a highly customizable source code editor that has packages for almost anything you could need.

An alternative, if you don't like the $70 price, would be GitHub's open source Atom. It's very similar to ST, in that it's very customizable through packages/plugins, but runs on Chromium and Node.js. 

Go to JetBrains and take a look at PyCharm, it's built upon their ReSharper technology and is cross platform.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

Only one I have tried for Python is Eclipse, worked fine

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Sublime Text 2 or 3. It's $70 but can be used as an unlimited free trial, so you're never forced to pay the $70. It's extremely flexible, does everything I need to do for 90% of my programming work and has every plugin you could want so you can add functionality as you see fit.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Sublime Text 2 or 3. It's $70 but can be used as an unlimited free trial, so you're never forced to pay the $70. It's extremely flexible, does everything I need to do for 90% of my programming work and has every plugin you could want so you can add functionality as you see fit.

I don't think that you can get a free version of Sublime Text 3 can you? If you go on their website you can only get the free version of Sublime Text 2, which is still great seeing as it's not time-limited and the only different thing is that pop-up you get every once in a while when you save, telling you that you should buy it if you like it.

I don't think that you can get a free version of Sublime Text 3 can you? If you go on their website you can only get the free version of Sublime Text 2, which is still great seeing as it's not time-limited and the only different thing is that pop-up you get every once in a while when you save, telling you that you should buy it if you like it.

As far as I know you can use ST3 the same way as ST2, popup every once in a while but nothing more. I'm not entirely sure as I did get a license at work but I recall being able to use normally before that.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

You can use Sublime Text 3 Dev free of charge, there will however be a popup once in a while asking you to buy a license. But with one click you're back at your code.

Learning

Eclipse with Pydev.

Or Notepad++, Programmer's Notepad, etc, anything with syntax highlighting. Save as .py, then double-click to run. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

+1 for Sublime Text (3), but I do also have Notepad++ and is IMO more beginner-friendly since it's menus are more logically structured and there is more stuff in them. Sublime is a bit weird in this aspect.

For big projects I use PyCharm.

PyCharm

| CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 | MoBo: MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | RAM: T-Force Delta RGB (2x8) 16GB 3200MHz (Black) | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC | Case: NZXT H500 (Black) | HDD: WD Black 2TB + Seagate Barracuda 4TB | SSD: Crucial MX500 2TB | PSU: Seasonic GX-550 | Monitor: 3x Asus VC239H |

PyCharm Community Edition is free and fantastic!

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

python-mode in Emacs or something that I forgot the name of in vim.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Emacs would be my choice, a bit of a learning curve too, but once you understand it (it took me only a couple of days) you'll be blown away bcause of it's power, possibilities and customizability :)

Current rig: i7-5820K, R5E, 1070ti (windows), Radeon HD7850 (Mac), a bunch of SSDs and HDDs, running MacOS Mojave, Windows 10 + a bunch of debian servers on Proxmox KVM hypervisor

Laptop: MacBook Pro 13" 2017

Previous projects: Razmac G5, Server, zenbox HTPC

See my GitHub profile!

A coder/modder from Finland