Amazon ready to snatch Twitch away from Google: more updates

Source

Source updated

Source2 "reason google backed out"

Twitch

xb1_twitch_broadcast.jpg

Remember that rumored $1 billion deal Google worked out to purchase the internet's most popular game-streaming service? Amazon may be taking it over. According to The Information, folks close to the deal say that Twitch and Amazon are in late stage talks for a $1 billion acquisition. Why the change in buyer? It's not clear (or confirmed), though it might be a response to concerns that joining Google could stifle innovation or competition. Either way, neither company is talking about the rumor right now, though one person involved suggested that the deal could be formerly announced soon.

Update- now it is official 

It's official: after plenty of rumors about both Google and Amazon buying massively popular video streaming service Twitch, Amazon announced it as official this afternoon. Amazon is buying Twitch for $970 million in cash, though it's yet to go through government approval. 

And even more updates 

In the wake of Amazon's purchase of streaming powerhouse Twitch, a new report suggests Google — thought to be an early contender for the buyout — backed out of the deal following concerns over antitrust issues, according to Forbes.

This refers to a competition law developed to regulate anti-competitive conduct by companies. Google is already the owner of YouTube, a site that competes with Twitch to broadcast and stream live and on-demand gaming sessions. Sources close to Forbes also state neither Google nor Twitch could come to an agreement on the size of a break-up fee in case the deal did not go through.

wow such a sudden backpedal when we were expecting the deal to be finalized soon with Google

i would perfer amazon to tak it over, as long as amazon allows us to start using paypal

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Yes, please. They can at least salvage this before they add Google+.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if they did take over.

I got sent to prison after following Linus' instructions to #Makebombs

Forum's resident nihilist.

A JRPG just wouldn't be a JRPG if it didn't end with teenagers using the power of friendship to kill God.

i see no reason for amazon to take over a streaming site. although im not super thrilled about the google idea, i'd rather have the hopefully seemless youtube integration than anything amazon could bring to the table. not to mention, twitch is already dedicated to muting streams for music, that would continue whether amazon or bought them out regardless.  at least with the google takeover, itll get a little better since itll be using google software to do it, instead of whatever shit twitch is using now.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

at least with the google takeover, itll get a little better since itll be using google software to do it, instead of whatever shit twitch is using now.

Because Google's software was sooo much better.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

Yes, please. They can at least salvage this before they add Google+.

Google + is great. You just don't know how to use it properly.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Google + is great. You just don't know how to use it properly.

I don't want to use it at all. I don't care if it is awesome at what it does, I don't want what it does. That is why I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Reddit, whatever they invented this week etc.

And Facebook maybe shit but at least they never forced it on me. Google forced Google+ on me which I will never ever forgive and forget.

Because Google's software was sooo much better.

yes actually it is.  twitch currently uses Audible Magic. which is terrble. im not saying googles is good, but its better

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

I don't want to use it at all. I don't care if it is awesome at what it does, I don't want what it does. That is why I don't use Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, Instagram, Reddit, whatever they invented this week etc.

And Facebook maybe shit but at least they never forced it on me. Google forced Google+ on me which I will never ever forgive and forget.

Well then why are you using youtube...?

If you don't like google+ nobody is forcing you to use it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Man, I can't wait to stick this in the face of everyone who was arguing that Google had already taken over. TAKE THAT SUCKERS I TOLD YA SO! :D *Does the "I told you so dance"*

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

Well then why are you using youtube...?

If you don't like google+ nobody is forcing you to use it.

What kind of logic are you using here? I use Youtube, I have been using it for years. I only want to use Youtube. Then one day Google comes and tells me to go fuck myself because I now have to use Google+ to use Youtube which I've been using for years before hand without the stupid + bullshit.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

lets see what this brings to the table. google is already huge, and it be nice that we have competition from amazon and yahoo bringing in to the spin of things with amazon buying twitch and yahoo screen (even though it has crappy content its a decent platform) 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

woot. also lawl at the grammar slip-up. formerly instead of formally. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

What kind of logic are you using here? I use Youtube, I have been using it for years. I only want to use Youtube. Then one day Google comes and tells me to go fuck myself because I now have to use Google+ to use Youtube which I've been using for years before hand without the stupid + bullshit.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about?

The fact that youtube needed to be bought by google and reprogrammed because of the massive increase in usage. You think the old youtube would be able to handle the exabytes of data it is now getting?

Spoiler

The fact that youtube needed to be bought by google and reprogrammed because of the massive increase in usage. You think the old youtube would be able to handle the exabytes of data it is now getting?

Are you completely new to Youtube? Do you not know of the time when YouTube did not require Google+ at all? It was not long ago, and it was that way for a looong time. And Google owned it back then too.

Google bought Youtube in 2006, I have been using it since 2007.

Go amazon, take it, you know you want it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

GO AMAZON! Buy it and ignore the fuck out of it so that they stop muting people for playing music.

As if, the whole muting thing was 99% going to happen regardless of any big firm taking over.

I'm one of the few people I know that tend to repair electronics with a smith's hammer on a regular basis.

As if, the whole muting thing was 99% going to happen regardless of any big firm taking over.

Dont shatter my dreams with your damned logic!

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I like amazon taking over because im scared of google controlling EVERYTHING i do on the internet.

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Would love to see Amazon take over this deal. Google would integrate Google+ into Twitch which would suck. 

Not a huge fan of Amazon, but Google is too freaking huge that I'd rather Amazon take it.