The Kind-of-Super Comprehensive guide about everything LED!

megadarkwood
This is still a WIP

Hello people of the website(s) that I decide to post this at, as you can probably tell by the title, this post/thread/whatever is going to be 100% completely about LED's! Now, instead of me making this introduction go on for way longer than it should (which it already has), lets get to it!

------------------------------

What Exactly ARE LED's?

LED is actually an acronym for "Light Emitting Diode" in short, this means that when the LED or Light Emitting Diode gets power it will produce a light. Depending on the size and overall specs of the diode the light will vary in many different aspects. Some examples would be; Color, Lumens, and tone. I will go over each of these things in different sections.

Why are LED's better?

Instead of going over each and every advantage I will list just a few:

More Power Efficient

More Versatile

More Verity of color .etc

Longer life span

Doesn't give off heat

What is needed to run a proper LED lighting system?

Well this entirely depends on what type of system you will be running, is it home lighting? Accent lighting for your desk/pc? Or maybe even automotive lighting? But there are always still 2 main things that are always required in a LED setup, a Power supply (or any way of getting power, weather it be a dedicated PSU or just a cable that plugs into the wall or a USB port) and obviously the LED's themselves. Optionally you can have a controller that you can use to control the colors of RGB LED's or the brightness/effects of other colors. I will get more in depth about each of these things in the next sections.

Power supplies and controllers

Without a power supply your LED's wont turn on (obviously, unless you have magical powers). There are dedicated power supply boxes like the one that you have in your PC or you can just use a power cord that plugs into the wall like the ones that you find on your laptop or other small appliances. Obviously, you will have to do some soldering or wiring if you use the power cord. These sources are the best if you are using one color of LEDs.

If you are using RGB LEDs or want to control the brightness of your LED's then you will probably want to use a dedicated controller, even if you are using a controller you will need a power source. The high end controllers will just require you to plug a single cord (without a power brick) into the wall to provide power. These controllers will allow you to use different colors on RGB LED's, change brightness and even enable/disable flashing patterns.

Different types of LED's

COMING SOOOOOON!

But wait, how do I attach these thangs?

COMING SOOOOOON!

Where can I attach these thangs?

COMING SOOOOOON!

Project Ideas

COMING SOOOOOON!

Got an idea for a new section? Post it below and I will add it!

Got a question? Post that below also!

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Nice guide thanks :)

you should open a section for where to buy recommended LED's  :)

noted, will add that when I get to it

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Nice guide thanks :)

You mean all 2/5 of it? 

On a side note, this should be good!

13" Macbook Pro i7 (I7-3520M) | 16gb RAM | 128gb Sandisk SSD

Current build------------------------------Future build↓ 
Intel Core i7-4790K 3.5GHz Quad-Core | G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 | Asus GTX 970 Strix | Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 | MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 | 128gb Sandisk SSD | Corsair H90 94.0 CFM Liquid

You mean all 2/5 of it?

On a side note, this should be good!

hopefully! Only if I can find time since I'm on vacation. What's up right now was written on a plane :P

This looks good to me for a beginner learning about these types of components and hopefully it will be some use to some people

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Well they do give off some heat, though.... And they (usually) don't dim that gracefully... But otherwise, yeah they rule!

More Verity of color .etc

*Variety. :D

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well they do give off some heat, though.... And they (usually) don't dim that gracefully... But otherwise, yeah they rule!

With PWM they dim gracefully.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I used to rely on my crappy LED fans for light but now that I am thinking if buying proper fans I might need to get me some alchemy strips. But they are so expensive for 6 LEDs.

• 4 months later...

Give me more please!

I am addicted to building gaming PCs but I don't have a great reason to stop...yet...

Give me more please!

Damn, I completely forgot about this. I'll try after exams :)

you should open a section for where to buy recommended LED's  :)

ebay