How hard is it to screw up building a pc?

HJX2

i have a build upcoming (just gotta get that extra cash to get to the quota) and first time building it.

obviously i could have someone build it for me but i want to experience it myself.

with no experience what so ever (minus putting in RAM, i know its not even that hard to do that) how easy/hard is it to screw up royally to the point of no return? esp with a semi/full modular PSU.

ive watched over linus's build videos but hes a guy with a lot of exp while im yet to experience the drops of satisfaction from building my own pc =(

Intel i5 4690K, Asus GTX 970 STRIX, Asus Z97-PRO Gamer, DeepCool Assassin, Ares 16gb ram, Fractal R4, FSP Aurum Pro 1000W PSU, Samsung 840 evo 250gb, WD Green 2TB.

Follow a tutorial while you build, on a phone or laptop or something and you will be good.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

i have a build upcoming (just gotta get that extra cash to get to the quota) and first time building it.

obviously i could have someone build it for me but i want to experience it myself.

with no experience what so ever (minus putting in RAM, i know its not even that hard to do that) how easy/hard is it to screw up royally to the point of no return? esp with a semi/full modular PSU.

ive watched over linus's build videos but hes a guy with a lot of exp while im yet to experience the drops of satisfaction from building my own pc =(

Check out Carey Holzmon, he does a lot of tutorials. He is very in depth and will cure all your worries. HE helped me get confident building my own rig. Watch two or three of his 1 hour + long videos on building a rig and you'll be happy. :)

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Well putting the CPU in for the first time might be scary, but other things are easy. Just dont drop that hard drive!

Dell Inspiron 580 - Modified

Build log

Win 7 | GTX 760 | i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz | 2x2Gb 1333MHz Hyundai + 2x2Gb 1333Mhz Crucial RAM | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | HyperX Fury 120Gb | Corsair Builder 600M | Fractal R2 Mini

Watch youtube tutorials, then give it a try yourself.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

building a computer really does look harder than it is, Paul from newegg did a VERY good how to guide like 3 years ago its a little outdated but the principle and what to do has not really changed

i'd say there's a 40% chance of destroying everything on your first try

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

Basically.....If something fits somewhere then thats where it belongs. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

@HJX2

The only difficult thing about installing the pc is installing some aftermarket heatsinks.

Cable management is time consuming, although it's not difficult.

Everything else is just plug-N-play.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

its not hard to screw up on purpose but if you follow the steps your fine

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

i'd say there's a 40% chance of destroying everything on your first try

40%? D: 

Basically.....If something fits somewhere then thats where it belongs. 

so its a cat? if i fits, i sits?

but in all seriousness, the wiring up of the psu to the parts is what i dread most.. so many cables, such little knowledge

Intel i5 4690K, Asus GTX 970 STRIX, Asus Z97-PRO Gamer, DeepCool Assassin, Ares 16gb ram, Fractal R4, FSP Aurum Pro 1000W PSU, Samsung 840 evo 250gb, WD Green 2TB.

but in all seriousness, the wiring up of the psu to the parts is what i dread most.. so many cables, such little knowledge

Yes. 

Most of the cables are only keyed to work one way. 

There are: 

24 pin ATX cable--its obvious. 

8 pin (or 4 or 4+4 pin) cpu cable--looks similar to the PCIe cable, but it says CPU on it. 

6 pin or 6+2 pin PCIe cable--says PCIe on it.

Sata power--obvious

Molex--obvious. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You have to literally be mentally impaired to screw up building a computer. You have to wrench on your motherboard with your hands, you have to be in constant contact with a running Van De Graff generator in your bedroom, take a hammer to that PSU, make sure the golden triangle is going the other way, put toothpaste between your CPU and cooler and most importantly you have to wail that hard drive so hard against a wall.

If you don't do any of these things you will be fine.

Building a PC is way, way, WAY easier than most people think it is. All it requires is a sliver of common sense and patience. If you need any assistance, well, that's exactly why we're here. :)

Good luck!

There really is not much that can go wrong when building a computer. Just make sure you dont try and force anything. If it does not fit easily, it is probably in the wrong place

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Aside from putting a standoff in the wrong spot on the case thus frying your mobo, it's pretty difficult to mess up a PC build.

I'm not sure how much consolation it would be, but my mother successfully re-built my Gaming Rig herself when she wanted to figure out how it goes together. We tore it apart, and I left it in her hands to do it right. She consulted nothing but the manuals and did fine. 

(She plays League of Legends, so she's only a light PC gamer.)

Aside from putting a standoff in the wrong spot on the case thus frying your mobo, it's pretty difficult to mess up a PC build.

Even this is hard to do because if the standoffs are in the wrong place, there would be nowhere for those screws to thread into. The person would have to then turn on the power after having put a screw or two into thin air without noticing it.

Just dont drop that thun thun thun

MY RIG | AMD FX-8320 | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT 8GB DDR3-1600MHz | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB | ASUS RADEON R9 280 3GB DIRECTCU II | CORSAIR 300R | CORSAIR CX 600W 80+ BRONZE | 1x COOLER MASTER SICKLEFLOW 120mm | WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE 64-BIT | DELL S2240M 21.5' 1080p <p> | G602 | G710+ MOBILE| ONEPLUS ONE 64GB RUNNING OXYGENOS  | NEXUS 4 16GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP | NEXUS 7 2013 32GB RUNNING LOLLIPOP

Even this is hard to do because if the standoffs are in the wrong place, there would be nowhere for those screws to thread into. The person would have to then turn on the power after having put a screw or two into thin air without noticing it.

Its not uncommon for there to be a bunch of screws in a bag all together. Its not like the bag is specifically labeled: "matx board screws"...

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

40%? D: 

Don't worry!  He's just kidding about the 40% thing.  With wiring the PSU, this is all you need to do:

SATA power to the drives

8 pin connector to the CPU (the socket is on the mobo usually above the cpu)

24 pin connector to the mobo

PCI to the graphics card.

I was in the same position you were not long ago, but the build is not as hard as you may think.

In fact, for the build, all I used was a handwritten list of what needs to be done (In order):

Also, mounting the CPU is not as hard as you may think, especially with AMD processors.

1. Attach PSU

2. Screw in storage drives

3. Put in the IO shield (make sure you put it on the right way)

4. Put the processor in the mobo

5. Mount the heat sink (make sure you plug it in!)

6. Put in the RAM

7. Put the mobo in the case- ADJUST THE STANDOFFS!

8. Connect the power supply wiring

-24 pin to mobo

-8 pin to cpu

- SATA Power

-PCI-E to GPU

*Make sure you connect the front end umbilicals and system fans to the mobo 

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

the real only worry is in my expierence is putting in the CPU with damaging the pins or the board. everything else is cake, ram, sata plugs, psu, etc

I say this because, I had a very bad Gypsie attack...they stole my wife, plow... and they touch my horse in a very bad way... he got very depressed.

No. Not standoffs, a single standoff can very easily be put in the wrong spot. Once covered by a mobo how is a novice to know know without being able to "see" through the PCB.

Anyways, it is about the only thing I would strongly recommend a new person pay close attention to. After that, its just like playing with Lego's.

Also, mounting the CPU is not as hard as you may think, especially with AMD processors.  With intel, you may hear a crunch as you press down the lever but that's totally normal.  Just make sure you line it up correctly.  It's actually harder to bend a pin than you may think.

i5 4670k (can OC to 4.4Ghz) - Hyper 212 evo w/ AC MX2 - XFX Radeon R9 280X8GB ADATA XPG V2 DDR3-1600 - MSI Z87 G41 - Corsair CX600M 600W PSU - 1TB HDD - 120GB SSD

Its not uncommon for there to be a bunch of screws in a bag all together. Its not like the bag is specifically labeled: "matx board screws"...

Not really sure what you mean. All I was saying is if a standoff is in the wrong place, there is nowhere to even thread that corresponding screw into (even if you tried to use the wrong screw). Someone building a computer would notice if there is just a hole under the mobo where a screw is supposed to go. The mobo would then need to be powered.

If there are 9 screw holes holes on an ATX mobo and only 8 have a place to thread in a screw into, obviously something is not right.

Of course the important thing is that a misplaced standoff can most definitely short the board. The part that gets me is someone would have to not care/notice that a screw hole had nothing under it and then fire it up. I'm sure it has happened plenty of times though.

OP, personally I found mounting the cooler and organizing the cables to be the most time consuming. An extra set of hands would have made the cooler-mounting a snap, and a modular PSU would have made the wiring much much easier because you only have to manage the wires you actually use. Go for it!