How to improve your front panel connectors.

Hi LTT

I don't know if this has been posted before, if that's the case I'm sorry for adding another topic to the list.

A couple of months ago I finally got around to buy a new case and where determined to improve my cable management.

I found a video on Youtube that showed how you could improve you front panel connectors, unfortunately I can't find the video I watched so can't give any credits  :(

It's really simple though.

We all know how annoying the front panel connectors can be to install and how flimsy they feel.

kk-connectors.jpg

This little "mod" is going to make it both easier to install and much less flimsy.

What you need:

• Sharp knife
  • 2x USB header (depending on your motherboard)

What to do:

If you put the two USB headers side by side it fits right into the front panel pins on the motherboard.

Locate where each front panel connector must be connected to the motherboard.

Then you remove the pin from it original header with the knife. The pins should slide right out without any force needed, the pins are fragile so be careful.

Once the pin is removed put it in the USB header so once connected to the motherboard it will sit in it right position.

Repeat that for each cable. I made a rough drawing of where all the connectors must go before I started to remove them, just in case I got it wrong.

The final result should look something like this.

JNVKugB.jpg?1

I think mine turned out quite nice, it's definitely easier when working on your computer that you're able to disconnect and reconnect the front panel I/O with just 2 connectors.

Hope this will be useful for some of you. Once again I can't, and wont, take credit for this.

I'm only sharing this easy and, in my opinion, amazing trick.

Cheers Shaqalac.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

You can probably mod the "EZ connectors" from ASUS for that too. Just get rid of the default pins on top of them and solder the wires.

Like this one.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

What if you you change board and they are in different locations? Then you have spent more time with this solution than the 30 seconds it takes to plug in the seperates.

You can probably mod the "EZ connectors" from ASUS for that too. Just get rid of the default pins on top of them and solder the wires.

Like this one.

My old asus mobo came with that  ;)

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Interesting method 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

just lose all the cables and use only power button.

you will be the first guy or girl that will be looking for the hdd activity led if it is reading or writing to it also power led you know when system is on right ?

also the reset button is over rated hold power switch and pc also go off or program it to do different things on holding the key.

short for all this only use power SW less cables less mess. i haven't used any of the other buttons or leds for like ever.

Like this one.

I guess you could do that, I think it's a bit more advanced method than what I've explain. It would be for me at least, I've no experience with soldering.

What if you you change board and they are in different locations? Then you have spent more time with this solution than the 30 seconds it takes to plug in the seperates.

The motherboard I'm currently using is my second motherboard in total and I've had it for 3-4 years now I think.

During those years I've had my computer apart multiple times, so for me it's been worth doing.

It's true, that if you change motherboard and they pins needs to be placed differently you'd need to spent some time rearranging the cables.

The rough drawing will come in handy here.

Also this "mod" is for aesthetics as well, because the connectors that comes with your case works fine. I do, however find this solution more aesthetic pleasing, especially once I get around to sleeve the cables.

Or you buy sleeved extensions and make them look nice.

That's a very valid solution/alternative to my suggestion.

It's not one for me though, I don't like the idea of extensions, you basically add more cables you'll have to manage.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini