SpaceX Rocket Explodes After Launch

PillowSmoke

bvrxpvhceaa2mju.jpg-large.jpeg

A SpaceX Falcon 9R rocket exploded shortly after launching during a test flight in Texas, the company confirmed Friday.

KXXV-TV anchor Bruce Gietzen reported there were no injuries. The rocket, which was unmanned, was launched from the SpaceX rocket-development facility in McGregor, Texas.

"During the flight, an anomaly was detected in the vehicle and the flight termination system automatically terminated the mission," John Taylor, a SpaceX spokesperson, told Business Insider in an email.

"Today’s test was particularly complex, pushing the limits of the vehicle further than any previous test. As is our practice, the company will be reviewing the flight record details to learn more about the performance of the vehicle prior to our next test."

The Falcon 9R is the replacement to the company's retired Grasshopper rocket. According to The Verge, the 9R is designed to launch and deliver payloads, and return to Earth to be reused. After a successful launch and return of a 9R in May, SpaceX CEO Elon Musk told NBC News this type of rocket could make spaceflight 100 times cheaper.

This apparent video from the scene showed debris falling down after the explosion:

BvrYyVFCQAAhbD-.jpg

SpaceX provided the following statement to Business Insider:

Earlier today, in McGregor, Texas, SpaceX conducted a test flight of a three engine version of the F9R test vehicle (successor to Grasshopper). During the flight, an anomaly was detected in the vehicle and the flight termination system automatically terminated the mission.

Throughout the test and subsequent flight termination, the vehicle remained in the designated flight area. There were no injuries or near injuries. An FAA representative was present at all times.  

With research and development projects, detecting vehicle anomalies during the testing is the purpose of the program. Today’s test was particularly complex,  pushing the limits of the vehicle further than any previous test.  As is our practice, the company will be reviewing the flight record details to learn more about the performance of the vehicle prior to our next test.

SpaceX will provide another update when the flight data has been fully analyzed.

Wanna hang out with me and people like @Theslsamg, @ Ssoele, @BENTHEREN, @Lanoi, @Whiskers, @_ASSASSIN_, @Looney, @WunderWuffle, and @nsyedhasan. Well.... Check out: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/48484-unofficial-linustechtips-teamschnitzel-server-teamspeak/

Oh did not know about that even though I live in Texas :/

My Computer (Yet to be named)

Processor: Intel i7 5930k @ 4.4 Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-SLI RAM: 16GB EVGA 2666Mhz 4x4 Graphics Card: PNY Geforce GTX 980 ti  Storage: 1x Intel 730 240GB / 2x Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB PSU: Corsair RM650 Case: NZXT S340 Monitor: Asus VG248QE Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013

Try again

lel

Good thing the AI blew it up, seems pretty fast to detect an internal problem

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Try again

lel

Or when somebody sneaks aboard without paying blood for the trip.

Or when somebody sneaks aboard without paying blood for the trip.

The price of admission is literally an arm and a leg, because that means the craft is less heavy and needs less fuel to launch.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

At least it was a test of a new rocket design. They can keep on using the F9s they've been using.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

huh, the explosion doesnt look that big. good thing it was a test flight. space x is still awesome!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

wait so the onboard computer blew it up on purpose and if it didnt something really bad would of happened??

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

wait so the onboard computer blew it up on purpose and if it didnt something really bad would of happened??

pretty much. It could have taken out the ISS

shit happens

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

Yes, a crash into inhabitated areas, for example. A similar thing happened during the first Ariane 5 launch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYUrqdUyEpI

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Try again

lel

Indeed, better it blows up in the air then veers off course and crashes into some building.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

It's called a fail safe incase the test goes errant the rocket will self destruct.. I work in this career field. This is what it looks like when you don't push the self destruct button on an errant Launch. Silly russians